Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Football blades  (Read 593 times)

Offline patpalloon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Football blades
« on: November 11, 2005, 07:01:15 PM »
I ruptured my ACL 2 months ago due to an injury received wearing football boots with the blades instead of studs. This type of boot was recently featured on BBC Watchdog. I wondered if this has happened to anyone else. The blades grip the ground so firmly that if you fall, the foot stays where it is and the body keeps moving - with disastrous results as happened to me.
LEFT KNEE: ACL and medial meniscal tear Sept 05.
Arthroscopy Jan 06.
Hamstring ACLR Apr 06.

RIGHT KNEE: meniscal tear 2008. Partial meniscectomy 2008 and again 2009.

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Football blades
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 05:57:12 PM »
Wow!  Does that sound like an invention we could have all done without!!!  Yikes!!!  I haven't had any experience with such shoes, however, I will make sure I warn others about them...thanks for the alert!!  Makes me cringe just thinking about it...Ooooo ick!!

Teresa

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 01:25:02 AM »
Yep Blades are shockers. We have them in Australia and alot of guys use them. Because of the heat here in Australia alot of our grounds tend to be alot harder and firmer and so there isn't as much 'give' in the grass compared to a soft pitch with soft grass.

If your foot gets stuck in the ground, rather then simply tearing a divet out of the grass, your foot gets stuck and damages your knee or ankle.

That being said though, I don't believe there is any scientific evidence proving that Blades are responsible for more Knee/Ankle injuries then regular studs.
May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 01:31:05 AM »

Here's a Picture. Not really big unfortunately, but you can see the design well enough.
May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."