Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ime visit to approve next surgery weds  (Read 1254 times)

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
ime visit to approve next surgery weds
« on: March 12, 2003, 06:54:23 AM »
 i am going to ime( independent medical examiner)weds to hopefully get approval for mainly cartalige harvesting, so i can then move forward and have 3 surgical procedures that will allow ( hopefully) me to gain flexion. 70 degrees is all i can do after 6 months, surgeon says unacceptable. so then  last week workers comp stopped my physical therapy visits. they send me my pay check weekly but i can not understand how they could approve surgery, then all of a sudden stop it. seems it will only cost them more in the long run. they are sending me to one of the pioneers of carticel. i have had only emergent surgy and have lived with constant pain and no pain killers or relief since 2 weeks after surgery. i am hoping a new begining to a better recovery comes from this.
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: ime visit to approve next surgery weds
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 03:42:51 PM »
Good luck with your IME. I thought mine went well. The doctor was really nice and actually gave me more insight into my problem. However, in the end, he said there wasn't any treatment that could help. Now I am fighting with WC because my doctor says I need more surgery. Just remember, whatever the IME doctor says, goes....even if you have 50 other doctors saying you need treatment.

Do you have private insurance? If WC denies treatment, you can revert to your private insurance and sue WC later. At least this means you don't have to delay treatment.

Don't mean to scare you. Hope everything goes well for you. Just make sure at your IME that the doctor really understands your issues and knows what the other doctors are saying you need.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 09:24:16 PM »
Hello Neil,

If you decide to go the ACI route and have any questions I can help you with just let me know. I am 18 weeks Post Op today.

Good luck!
Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2003, 07:49:33 AM »
thanks for your words of encouragement.  one thing i have learned from all of this is to expect things not to go in my favor so when they do i feel better. funny how our lives can end up in the hands of people who makes these decisions and could really care less about quality of life. i do have private insurance, so that is one avenue but i hope not to have to cross that bridge.
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline tazmanian_devil

• Forum Faithful
  • I guess you can't teach an old quad new tricks
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2003, 08:17:29 AM »
So what did he say? Was he any good? I want you to know that to your face he could say you need surgery then when he writes his report say something else. I know what you are going through, Theresa
L ACL Recon. L lat. meniscus tear 1991, R Dislocated 1996, R ACL partial tear, MCL tear 08/01, R Chondroplasty 2/14/02, R Lateral Release-Medial Reefing-Chondroplasty 12/3/02.