Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee injury please help  (Read 961 times)

Offline jay_d007

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee injury please help
« on: November 11, 2005, 12:21:52 PM »
Hello I'm new to the board and stumbled across your site by luck. I have a knee injury which I sustained while playing football and it is causing me great concern because nobody seems to be able to give me a clear answer and I'm in a lot of pain.

In early August I was playing a 5-a-side tournament and during a tackle the kneecap on my trailing leg hit the ground very hard, being the middle of the summer the ground was rock solid too.

The joint immediately stiffened and I was in a lot of pain. I managed to rest it for a few weeks until pre season training. I wore a knee support while training but it was clear it still wasn't anywhere near 100%

It is now mid November and the pain is just as bad as it has always been so I haven't played on it for the last 6 weeks.

The pain is on my left knee cap, on the bottom left hand side as you look at it. It does not hurt when I run on it, it does not hurt when I bend it or if I sit cross legged, it only hurts if I get a slight knock in that area and only if I am standing up - when I say slight knock I mean a light tap with my finger in the right place and the pain is unbearable - the sort that leaves tears in your eyes!!! It has never come up in a bruise, never swelled, but the area has always remained sore. 

After being very lazy about seeing somone I went to see a stand-in for my GP (who was away) about five weeks ago. She tested my knee for ligament damage and there was no reaction, assumed that it was tendon damage, told me to get some ibuprofen rub and rest it for 4 weeks.

4 weeks later it felt worse if anything so I went to see my proper GP, who again tested my ligaments with no reaction, said it was nothing to worry about, handed me a prescription for anti inflimatries and an exercise sheet for strengthening the joints and said do that for two weeks.

I'm five days into it now and there has been no improvement whatsoever and I'm really scared I've done something serious.

Please help!

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Knee injury please help
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 12:29:44 PM »
YOur best bet is to see an OS that specializes in knees. It could be something as simple (but long lasting) as a bone bruise, or it could be somehting else. You need to have it checked tomake sure that you are not creating more damage just in daily activities. GP's are great for most things , but rather clueless when it comes to knees. I have even had to explain certain knee issues and procedures to my GP and he is pretty smart.

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline jay_d007

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 12:32:25 PM »
Thank you! Please excuse my ignorance but what or who is an OS?!

James

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 12:37:21 PM »
Orthopedic Surgeon
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline jay_d007

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 12:40:53 PM »
You're a star, thank you

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 06:03:31 PM »
We use a lot of abreviations...  OS = Orthopedic Surgeon, PT = Physical Therapy  are the most common.  Let us know what your OS says.

Teresa

support