Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: don't understand  (Read 975 times)

Offline maria1985

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
don't understand
« on: November 11, 2005, 08:35:25 AM »
hi everyone
can anyone help me? i went to see my consultant yesterday and after he checked my knee out he came to the conclusion that i had to go for another MRI scan and then said that i now have "softening of the cartlidge" and that once he see's the results of my MRI scan he will probably do key hole surgery to confirm his diagnosis, but because i was trying to take in everything that he was saying i forgot to ask what was meant by "softening of the cartlidge"
is there anyone out there who knows what is meant by this.
i know i am jumping ahead of myself as i haven't even got my app for the scan but im so scared about going in for more surgery as they keep telling me that operating again would be a disaster so i don't understand why they are suggesting key hole surgery, plus last time they said i was having key hole i woke to find that they had left a 3 inch cut across my knee after performing a lateral release.
i would really appreciate some advice.
thanks guys

luv maria.xxx ???
chronic knee pain since 10 years old.
lateral release in 2000
goldwaithes in 2002
2 weeks intensive physio in 2005
nowhere near to finding the course of the problem.

harry78

Re: don't understand
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 12:07:55 PM »
Maria, I suppose it could be your meniscus whether lateral or medial or both have become more aqueous than normal. Normally a cartlidge is composed of collagen alpha and beta fibres and water at a ratio of about 4:1 (might be proved wrong!!) More water means that your cartlidge is more softer, maybe because of slight infusion of synovial fluid?
I would recommend further surgery if it causes you pain, discomfort or if it is unusual.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 12:33:43 PM »
YOur OS probably means chondromalacia, or softening of the articular cart. He could be referring to the back of the knee cap or he could be referring to the femoral chondyles or trochlear groove. There are 3 different surgeries to help with severe chondro. The location, size, and degree of damage will determine what needs to be done, if anything. good luck

misssy

ps, most people eventually get some chondro as they age , it is called arthritus.
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline maria1985

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 06:52:43 PM »
hi all
thanks for replying to my email so quickly. when he was talking about the problem he was referring to the front of the knee and he definatly said that it was softening of the cartlidge.
i suppose i'm going to go onto the internet and do some research on it see if i can get any info about it.

thanks guys

luv maria.xx
lateral release in 2000
goldwaithes in 2002

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 09:35:15 PM »
Here are some sites that explain softening of the articular cartilage, aka chondromalacia, very well--in easy to understand language.

http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/knee_chondral/overview.asp

http://www.kneehippain.com/patient/i_patellarpain.html  (the fourth topic is chondromalacia, the others would probably be helpful for you as well).

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/steps/step_05_patella/cartilage.html

And here's something on patello-femoral syndrome, which it sounds like you may have (given your chondromalacia and previous lateral release, it sounds like your patella wasn't tracking correctly).  http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/pate/overview.asp

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline maria1985

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 06:00:17 PM »
hi heather
thanks for the websites im going to look into it and do some research. i did go onto google and type it in and the site i went on did give me some info bout the condiction which did help me understand it and by the sounds of it he did mean softening of the articular cartilage.
thank you for the info really appreciate it, this is the first time i have actually been given a diagnosis that i have actually been able to look into.

let u all know how everything goes
hope u r all well

luv maria.xxx
lateral release in 2000
goldwaithes in 2002