Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee Replacement Surgery  (Read 943 times)

Offline cathy53

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Replacement Surgery
« on: November 10, 2005, 06:08:38 PM »
Hello, my name is Cathy.I'm 53 years old and will be having knee replacement surgery on Nov. 21st. I have end stage OA and grade 4 chondromylacia. I have previously had arthoscopic surgery on both knees which consisted of menissectomies (sp) and chondroplasty.In the last year my knees have begun collapsing and causing falls.Twice I was injured enough during the falls to be taken and treated in the ER.

Although I'm happy to be having the replacement surgery I'm also a little nervous about recovery. I live alone, as I'm divorced and my children are grown and moved away. If there is someone who has been through this surgery that could share your experiences with me, I would appreciate your help.

Both knees will be replaced but not at the same time. I wanted them done bilaterally, but my OS refused, because of some other health conditions I have. He thought it would be to hard for me to have them done together.

I also have had DVT that was a problem during one of the recent falls so I'm concerned  about that causing a problem with blood clots following surgery.

Thanks for any advise you can give me.

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: Knee Replacement Surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 06:46:09 PM »
Cathy,

I'm so glad you found KNEEgeeks!  I also have bad knees and am having my rt TLR on Dec 1.  I also have problems with DVT/PE and on Tuesday the 15ht I will have a filter put into the inferior vena cava someplace below the renal veins. 

I see you also posted on the TKR page.  You should get some replies there also. 

I will be thinking about you on the 21st.   

Rozzzie

OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

carol j

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 02:00:55 AM »
Hi Cathy, Take a deep breath and relax.........this site is wonderful and you found it. The people here are very caring, well informed and some of them (many of them) are very entertaining. I was able to take a "knee class" several weeks before I had my TKR at the end of September. At the class a nurse told us about what to expect in the pre-admission clinic, in the operating room, in the recovery room and what to expect on the nursing unit.  She also spoke about the most common methods of pain control.....my surgeon used a "patient controlled" system. I should say that I had a spinal anesthetic and found the recovery much quicker than previous general anesthetics.  A physiotherapist explained the exercise regime we would follow post-operatively and she gave us a list of items that we should have at the ready before our surgery like a long handled reacher, raised toilet seat and hand rails, if needed some kind of safe chair to use in the shower, walker, crutches, etc. It was suggested that we bring loose fitting pants to wear for physio and a good pair of shoes with good support...no floppy slippers.
It was suggested to us that we make up a bunch of meals that can easily be reheated or make arrangements for someone to help with or do the cooking, cleaning, etc. for the first little bit. Here there is a hospital department called SWAD (systems wide admission & discharge). The staff here will help those who need it to organize their home care before discharge. I must tell you Cathy that I was so shocked when I stood on my new knee the first time that I would have dropped my false teeth on the floor if I had false teeth. The pain in my surgical leg was less post op than it had been before surgery. I had no history of DVT (although we are of the same vintage, like fine wine) but my surgeon had me take Warfarin for 6 weeks total...which is his standard. My hemoglobin was low following surgery and because it started to come up with iron and multivitamins, the internist assigned to me decided against a blood transfusion. My surgeon always leaves a drain in place in the knee for 48 hours and it was removed with the first dressing change. Being in hospital was a bit of a bore...get a telephone, tv or take your laptop with you....whatever is allowed. You know you can probably get more specific info from the hospital where you are to have your surgery or from your doc....perhaps he (she) would arrange for you to speak with another patient who has been through the procedure. I have some other issues including a fused hip opposite side of the new knee and a totally screwed up back becuase of the hip. If something hurts, I know I am still alive. I have gone on too long.... I wish you very well  and God Bless. carolj

Offline NewKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 03:08:50 AM »
Cathy: I had a TKR two years ago at age 49 after 30 years of knee pain. I can honestly say it was the best thing I have ever done! I went in with a positive attitude and went home THE NEXT DAY with a new knee. I was very fortunate to do extremely well. I was back at my office 1/2 days after 1 week and full time after 2 weeks (well almost full time). I admit my case was a little unusual, but it can be done!

Today, I do nearly anything I want to do without pain. I even got chewed out by my Doc last month for running up the stairs at a game at the local football stadium (I was in a hurry). He was afraid I would knock someone down.

Have a positive attitude, work hard with the physical terrorists and you will do fine.

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 05:41:27 AM »
Cathy....My mom is 73 and had both of her knees replaced. (seperately) She also lives alone. There was a program where she could go to a rehab place for a week after her surgery, and they helped her get around, so that she would be ok when she got home. This was great. She did fine when she did go home on her own. And today, she is walking better than me, and I am over 30 years younger than her!! Lol. She likes to rub it in.....BRAT!! :P But its good to see her pain free. I wish you the best of luck. I am sure everything will be just fine. Glad you found the site too. Its a great place to come vent and there are lots of wonderful people here....

Hugs....Donna
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline Judey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 11:53:56 AM »
Hi Newknee,
pleased to hear you are doing so well. I do really believe a positive attitude helps. Are you posting from UK. if so, did you have any new techniques. Iv'e read about a quad sparing tkr, which uses a much smaller incision, and a tkr which allows for greater knee flexion and mobility. Apparently ther is also a new method of placing the knee by computer so that it is better positioned. Just curious. I have not had a tkr but know a number of people who have. Judey
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called "The Present"

Offline NewKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 10:28:55 PM »
Judey: I had my surgey in the US (small town in Alabama) and it was just a little to soon for the new techniques. My surgeon is now doing the minimally invasive procedure with excellent results. Instead on the 12 - 14 inch incision, it is now 4 to 6 inches. Much less trauma to the quads, quicker rehab, and better mobility. It's hard to imagine a TKR being any easier than mine was, but thats what they are saying. I hope I have a chance to find out in 15 years when I wear this one out!

support