Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL recovering  (Read 661 times)

Offline Debster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL recovering
« on: November 15, 2005, 07:26:38 PM »
My ACL was snapped by a side impact from a rather large netball player.I had been playing netball, in defense for 20 years and it was my short lived debut as a goal attack.I felt what I thought was a dislocation , the pain was not that bad until after the shock. Both AE and GP diagnosed a sprain which took me 2 months to get properly diagnosed by a consultant when I insisted on a second opinion. That was 4 years ago and I have just had a hamstring graft 7 days ago.
Quite a few friends have had this done and all have had different physio regimes.They all seemed to have splints , I have 4 clear plasters and had to bend  it and bear weight from day one.
I can do the leg raises but have great trouble lifting my leg back when lying on my front, I just cannot do this without support.
  One tip no one warned me about, be careful with the self adminisration of morphine , I pressed the clicker 8 times and my leg didn't even hurt that much but the side effect was that I couldn't keep my food or drink down until the next day.
How long is it before the swelling is supposed to go down?
Also I am 43 and glad to read about others my age also having this op as I was made to feel as though I should leave it at my age, upto now I am glad I didn't.