Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL HELP  (Read 662 times)

Offline kari143

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL HELP
« on: November 10, 2005, 05:32:48 PM »
Hi i am 16 years old and i went to my doctor and he told me that i had tore my ACL. he is pushing me to get surgerey but my issue is that i am in the middle of my season and do not have 6months to recover. the funny this is that i can move my leg bend my knee and walk with no problme. i have swelling but it has gone down toremedously since it happend. i was wondering if there is other ways to then surgerey to help me out? i dont have serious pain and it never really hurts that bad. the MRI said i tore my acl and my doctor wants me to get surgerey can i live with out an acl??

Thank
       Kari

Offline patpalloon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: ACL HELP
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 10:51:43 PM »
I did the same thing 2 months ago playing football (I'm 37 old enough to know better). I have been diagnosed with ACL rupture and my doc said 30-40% of patients do not require surgery and get better with physiotherapy.
LEFT KNEE: ACL and medial meniscal tear Sept 05.
Arthroscopy Jan 06.
Hamstring ACLR Apr 06.

RIGHT KNEE: meniscal tear 2008. Partial meniscectomy 2008 and again 2009.

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 11:01:59 PM »
You can probably manage to get away with it OK if you do some physio and focus on strengthening the surrounding mucles in your knee.

Unfortunately, even if you get the worlds biggest quads and hammies, there's still no guarantee that it'll be 100% and if it collapses on you then you risk damaging other parts of your knee.

May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."

kelsaygh

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 07:44:34 PM »
In addition to the above, you risk developing arthritis in that knee, and that can ruin your game for more than one season!  Check out the arthritis boards to see what that can look like!. . .  You should be able to postpone surgery until after your season, and then be rehabbed and ready for next year.  Good luck with whatever you decide. 

Offline kari143

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 10:14:44 PM »
thanks all i think im going to go with the theraphy.. cuz this is my last year to cheer and im doing swimming so i think i should be ok.. i hope thank you all for the advice