Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Due to have surgery- plica removal on 14th having doubts  (Read 725 times)

Offline JennyinLondon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Due to have surgery- plica removal on 14th having doubts
« on: November 10, 2005, 02:50:25 PM »
Hi everyone

I am due to have an arthroscopy this monday- 14th Nov after having MRI scan and discovereing had minor fracture to patella patella tendonitis and plica between my throchlea and patella- the surgeon thigns there are two pobs and causes of pain fracture tendonits, which he said takes up to 3-6 months sometimes (i fell in August) and that recovery after arthroscopy is minimal....am really confused and cant make a decision..on teh one had i feel the pain is getting better and am not really using the crutch as much, infact on good days i walk normally can squat and it doesnt hurt more tan 3-4/10 on bad days it hurts sitting down....i try to do my exercise from the physio- involving squatting and lifts and notice this horrible grating crunching sound.....the surgeon tells me soem people live with plica and dont ahve it removed and some dont.....reading through some of the posts itr seems it can sometimes come back!!and am not sure how long it will be until i am normal....workwise its busy and with xmas coming up i feel i dotn want to be hobbling around...i know surgery is ultimately needed so that i get getter and its a cruel to be king thing but am wodnienrg if i should postpone until the 20th December or so whan i can definitely take a long time off for xmas.....i dotn know if all this is just nerves or being scard or smg...am not fitt at all and have difficulties contemplating being able to walk etc normally after 5-7 days let alone semi dance or well shioft feet.....i then get confused when i see that soem cases of palice get better withouth any surgical intervention....any advice comments much appreciated thanks

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Due to have surgery- plica removal on 14th having doubts
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 03:07:22 PM »
Jenny,

Hi, don't get discouraged by reading some posts.  Everyone heals differently from surgery and there are many people that have had successful surgeries.  They are not on the board anymore because they are back to their normal activities again.

Sounds like Pre-Surgery Gitters!!!  Everyone starts second guessing when the surgery date gets near.  Hang in there and trust your surgeon.....

Let us know how everything goes.  Good Luck.

Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
  • Never grow up :)
Re: Due to have surgery- plica removal on 14th having doubts
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 03:19:02 PM »
Hang in there, getting those plicas removed can really change ur life  ;)

I had my plicas removed in 1998 and 1999, followed by scar tissue cleanup april 2004. In my case scar tissue just keeps coming back (in need of a new surgery some time in the near future), but it doesn't happen for everyone. The plica removal itself went well years ago. The scar tissue that might follow, does not have to happen to you. We all recover differently from our operations, so don't let negative posts get to you.

After plica removal, listen to your body when starting rehab. Don't push yourself too hard, but don't be afraid to try a little more every now and then when it feels good. Muscles can be sore and weak for quite some time, but you'll get there.  :)

I agree, that everyone can get cold feet just before the surgery. Trust your doctor, he will do his best to help u! We all wish you the best of luck!!  :D

31 young :)
RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue
-L 8/06 ->R postponed for now (need to find a new surgeon..*sigh*)
*Fibromyalgia+CPS+Acid Reflux+Tietze's syndrome+CFS+depression*