Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Helpful Tips , and ways to take care of ourselves!!  (Read 940 times)

Offline bikersmurf

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Limping, but walking!!!
Helpful Tips , and ways to take care of ourselves!!
« on: November 10, 2005, 02:37:27 PM »

Hello All!
I know there are alot of wild and crazy things we all have come up with to take care of ourselves. ::). When they let you out of the hospital or done with procedures they turn us lose and we find that we have no idea kow to take care of our selves. ??? Even with the help from others it is not an easy thing to do.  Lets face it we all can't have round the clock care and we end up trying to do things on are own :o . So I thought we could all share ideas and things we have done to help ourselves out. :-*
1. After coming home practice setting on the toilet even if you don't have to go.
2. If using walker, do't use the ones with wheels on waxed floors. put a backpack or sack on front so you can carry things in it.
3.Have someone put a tv tray by the couch to put meds, food drinks etc on it so you can reach it.
4. Make friends with your couch , cause it is easier then trying to get into bed for first few weeks.
5.Say your sorry to people before you take your meds cause you never know what you are going to say after you take them. :-X
6. If using wheel chair at home a small tray with legs will fit over your lap so you can carry things.
7. If being left alone for a while have  someone put a small cooler with drinks etc in it and by where you are so it is less getting up for you.
8. Have someone make prepared meals for you to pop in microwave so you can eat and arrange selves and counters so things are more easily reached. ::)
9. The new press and seal wrap really does work even if you drop a bowl or anything. :)
10. If have pets make arrangements to have others take care of them and can be outside until someone comes home.
11. Be adamitt about everyone keeping things off the floor, this causes unwanted and painful falls, :'(
12. If on crutches, bend a wire hanger with a circle half way and attach it to holes for hands and legs you are not using . easy way to carry a soda or coffee mugs with out spilling. ( if soda best to open first so it does not explode afteropening).
13. Those small insulated  lunch bags can be taped or velcrowed to crutches to carry things in them.
14.Always carry your cordless or cell phone on you even around the house in case of fall, never know when you can fall and it stinks to have to wait for help. :-\
15. Never shower or bathe alone for the first few weeks.
 These are just a few things I have learned and some tips I have learned. I hope some of these help others and others share some they have done. :D

Bikermurf

[attachment deleted by admin]
Motorcycle accident(open patella shattered)
8-05 reconstruction surgery wires pins, crown and figure eight , FEb 06, had bad fall and damaged knee and hardware. May 5 06 op to remove hardware and repair tissue, quad and nerve damage. Recovering!!

Offline Beth_T

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Knees - who came up with the idea?
Re: Helpful Tips , and ways to take care of ourselves!!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 03:45:36 PM »
Hi Bikersmurf

You might like to cross-post this with Sarah-Jane's post "the things we've learnt" a few posts down from this one.  it's along the same lines as yours.

Great tips BTW ;)

Beth
Had a not needed LR op due to a fall
Found out that nerve damage was causing the pain, acupuncture worked - all ok :)

Offline bikersmurf

• Forum Faithful
  • Limping, but walking!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 08:04:29 PM »

Hello!
I know about the thread of what we have learnt. I was talking more about ways people that are new to the site or people that have done things to help themselves. I know when I was released from the hospital they never told me how to do anything. ???I had to reley on others to wipe my nose etc. It is not easy being medicated or even left alone for 10 mins when you first come home. I just thought that everyone has done or has ideas we can all share to help others and our selves at different stages of recovery. I think they need to make up a pamplet to give out , but since they don't I thought we should make one of our own :D.

Other things I have done.
Used padded batting on top and bottom of full length leg brace to cushion where metal bars end.  Used fabreeze on cloth braces, Plastic wrap whole brace and rubberbanded or taped top and bottom of brace to get in shower. While in shower used plastic lawn chair to sit on. I was given the advise to sit on stool to do dishes. Metal walkers can be used to.If anyone asks if they can do anything for you let them!!!! Put your OS on speed dial along with Pharmacy.If being left alone like most of us have to, arrange for friends or relatives stop by or call to check in. I used to get upset about it, but they have saved my tripped but a few times. It is not a bad idea to let friends or family to take the kids when offered to let you rest. Rest when ever you can :-\. Sleep is not easy for anyone and with out it, time just slows down and leads to bumber moods.

I know there is alot of things we all can share. I hope  everyone adds to this.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Motorcycle accident(open patella shattered)
8-05 reconstruction surgery wires pins, crown and figure eight , FEb 06, had bad fall and damaged knee and hardware. May 5 06 op to remove hardware and repair tissue, quad and nerve damage. Recovering!!

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 08:14:07 PM »
Bikersmurf,

You have great ideas..... good for you.

One thing that really helped me was to have one of those cheap plastic footstools in the bathroom so that you can prop your operated leg on.  It can be pushed off to the side of the flush when not in use. 

Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT