Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hire CPM machine UK ?  (Read 8845 times)

Offline jeanie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Hire CPM machine UK ?
« on: November 10, 2005, 12:59:10 PM »
Hello,

Could anyone tell me where I could hire a CPM machine in the UK ? They are too expensive to buy; I have no insurance ; and the NHS cannot provide in the area where I live . All suggestions gratefully received

Cheers

Jeanie
Ski-ing 04/ 02. patella dislocation ruptured ACL MCL,  meniscus.10/02 MRI 11/02; ,menisectomy 2/03 MUA cortisone; haematoma/3/03MUA ;8/03 menisectomy,lysis adhesions 4/04 RSD/CRPS  2/05 Cortisone injection 11/05 lysis adhesions - infection 4/06 Botox injex hamstrings

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
Re: Hire CPM machine UK ?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 06:31:05 PM »
Hey Jeanie,

Have a look at www.ebay.co.uk. I know you'd rather rent one than buy one, but paying out for rental over a couple of months could add up to the reduced cost of buying one second hand.
I've had a quick look for myself and at the moment, they seem to be between 220-350.
I know it's not ideal but it may be worth thinking about. I'm considering getting one and sharing the cost with a friend who also wants to use one.
The only downfall I've found so far is that they are all in the US so God only knows what cost the carriage will be!
Alternatively, you could have a look at www.emslimited.co.uk. This is a company which sells CPM machines to hospitals etc but they may be able to at least put you in touch with a Company that will rent one out to you.

Hope this helps,

Take care,

Laura,
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline mick353

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 08:27:58 AM »
Hi does anybody at the moment know where we can hire a cpm machine as tried e-bay no luck and very expensive to buy. Also if anyone has bought one where did they get it from and how much did they pay? Thanks

Offline sezb

• Forum Faithful
  • Sister Sarah's lost her mind...
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 08:44:20 AM »
Have a look at at laura's post above!
Sez :)
ACL op R. knee 02/90
ACL op L. Knee 04/06
(Yes went and did the other knee too - skiing again!)
Had enough of knees now!!!

Offline planetloz

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 01:38:29 PM »
Jeanie
I've seen a lot of people mention this CPM machine and being really enthusiastic about it, so I'll be following your post with interest as am in UK too. If I find out info about it (will ask my PT and OS) will tell you.
June 04: arthroscopic surgery to trim medial meniscus tear
April 06: ski injury: torn ACL, further tear in the posterior horn of medial meniscus, bone bruising of lateral fibial plateau. foot cyst excision 24/6/06, ACL recon hamstring, meniscus trim 23/08/06

Offline Megwi

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 08:43:28 PM »
I'm in the UK too and am having problems getting ROM back. I mentioned to my Physio that in the US they seem to use CPM's as a matter of course but he says that he personally doesn't like them as its better for the patient to use their own muscles for faster recovery....
Ski fall Dec '05
MRI scan Jan 06
Surgery Feb 06 (TPF with ACL 1 screw, arthro meniscus removal)
Out of immobiliser May 06 and into PT
Scar tissue/ROM issues.
57 PT sessions.
Finished PT Jan 07 with nearly full ROM PT said "youve got more than I ever thought you'd get."

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 09:58:19 AM »
A CPM is NOT used to build muscles, so the argument that they keep a patient from using their own muscles and retard recovery is completely backwards.  CPMs are intended to passively (without firing the muscle) move the patient's leg in a gentle fashion.  This keeps the joint from filling with fluid/swelling, promotes circulation, keeps the muscles from shutting down in response to swelling and pain, and ultimately can prevent/limit the formation of excess scar tissue inside the joint.

They are not appropriate or necessary for every knee surgery, but if you've had something like a severe break, TKR, patellar realignment or lateral release, ACL reconstruction, or lysis of adhesions, they can actually speed up your recovery and improve the quality of your healing (i.e. keep scar tissue to a minimum).  I also feel they are critical if the patient is prone to lots of swelling or forming excessive amounts of scar tissue.

Keep in mind that, despite what many think, the purpose of a CPM is NOT to build muscle, and it is NOT to restore the patient's range of motion...especially with respect to active extension (very hard to fully straighten in a CPM).  However, by keeping fluid/swelling from pooling in the knee joint and promoting smooth and effortless repetitive motion, it can and will improve the patient's efforts to restore flexion and extension.  And it can reduce swelling & stiffness dramatically, which does in fact speed up healing time.  Many studies of post-ACL recon patients who used a CPM starting within an hour of surgery show that this nifty little machine helps reduce incidence of scar tissue--and just about all of the surgeons I've seen who specialize in tough knee cases and arthrofibrosis (excess scar tissue in the joint) prescribe CPMs for EXTENDED periods of time post-op.  I had one for about 12 weeks after my last surgery.

There are limitations to this machine, starting with the quality of the units:  older machines with analog/dial mechanisms to set the range of motion have a pretty high margin of error.  And the placement of the leg in the machine is critical to effective use.  The CPM must be started immediately post-op--in the recovery room if possible; if the patient already has scar tissue in the knee restricting ROM, a CPM really won't be very helpful.  Also, straightening the leg beyond 0 degrees (aka hyper-extension) is not something that the CPM is very good at; it also gets pretty iffy above 100 degrees of flexion.  But by pumping swelling out of the joint and reducing stiffness, a good CPM used diligently will ultimately help improve the patient's ROM.  I found it to be a great painkiller as well, since swelling is a major factor in pain levels.  And as I was completely non-weight-bearing post-op, I was fairly limited in what I could do in PT.  The CPM and then gently spinning on a stationary bike helped me overcome the weight-bearing limitations, and by doing so kept swelling and irritation of the joint to an absolute minimum.  This helped me recover faster and with better results.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people are only told to use the CPM for 1-2 hours total in a day, or there is a 3-7 day delay in delivery of the unit post-op...I woke up in the CPM in recovery, and used mine for 18+ hours each day, up to and including sleeping in it.  When pro athletes and those for whom money is not a problem have major knee surgery, they will often buy and use a CPM for months at a time (I remember reading about CNN anchor Paula Zahn using her CPM at work between sessions in front of the camera following a severe TPF surgery with internal fixation).  In other words, this is something that many doctors use to accelerate healing in athletic people.

Now if you're having a fairly straightforward surgery and have never had issues with swelling or scarring before, chances are good that you won't need a CPM.  That doesn't mean that they aren't helpful, though, or that they would do any harm.  I've never heard of anything negative being said about CPMs (when used properly).  But I hate to see skin-flint HMO's or insurance companies making statements that they don't pay for CPM's, therefore they aren't necessary...it burns me up to see accountants and bean counters making medical decisions!  A lot of times you will hear the customer service rep at your insurance company respond to your request for approval of a CPM with comments like "you don't need it following arthroscopy" or "there is no proven benefit so we don't pay for it."    >:( >:( >:(

Anyway, good luck to everyone in their quest for ROM.  I had a knee freeze up after surgery--it only moved between 25 degrees and 55 degrees--it was brutal.  There is a lot of information on exercises to improve ROM following surgery in the Soft Tissue Healing Problems section of the board.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Megwi

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 07:35:06 PM »
Guys,

There is one CPM now on ebay for sale in Sussex if anyone is interested...

Meg
Ski fall Dec '05
MRI scan Jan 06
Surgery Feb 06 (TPF with ACL 1 screw, arthro meniscus removal)
Out of immobiliser May 06 and into PT
Scar tissue/ROM issues.
57 PT sessions.
Finished PT Jan 07 with nearly full ROM PT said "youve got more than I ever thought you'd get."

Offline planetloz

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 02:25:21 PM »
Thanks for this good info on CPM. We are not as clued up here in the UK as in the US it seems. When I have inquired about them I got the same response as you Megwe, using the 'muscle' issue as argument so it's nice to have had a comprehensive answer on this. I have heard a lot of good things about cryocuffs as well, but that's another thing that is not much in use here (costs?). My PT says they are brilliant, I intend to try to get one from the hosp.
June 04: arthroscopic surgery to trim medial meniscus tear
April 06: ski injury: torn ACL, further tear in the posterior horn of medial meniscus, bone bruising of lateral fibial plateau. foot cyst excision 24/6/06, ACL recon hamstring, meniscus trim 23/08/06

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 02:59:36 PM »
Hi Planet

I had a TTT on Monday and asked about a cryro cuff (ice machine) I didnt have he use of one in hospital let alone one to bring home! They didnt even apply any kind of cold compress on me, their excuse was that the bandages were too thick! Obviously I am icing now at home and elevating. I bought some snow packs that contain powder that is completely pliabe so they wrap around me knee perfectly. They are a squilion times cheaper than a cryro cuff and very effective.

Good luck with everything.
Take it easy Hop  ;D

support