Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: cartledge transplant  (Read 3156 times)

Offline beach

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Think Positive!
cartledge transplant
« on: March 11, 2003, 08:05:36 PM »
Hi,
I'm new to this forum.
I'm trying to find someone who has had a cartledge transplant done?
My doctor recommends the one that uses a cadaver rather then my own tissue.
I've had 4 surguries so far, I'm 40 yrs old. Had knee problems since I was 15.
I'm trying to wait as long as I can, but I hate walking around with a cane. I am tired of not being able to walk, like I used to.
Is this surgury worth it?  >:(
1978 ACL tear, 85 menicus tear os fixed, ACL gone. 94 ACL reconstr & chondroplasty, 2000 debrement & chondroplasty, 2003 debrement & chondroplasty.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 101
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: cartledge transplant
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 01:32:39 AM »
Hi and welcome.
Are you meaning 'meniscal cartilage' (the knee shock absorber or meniscus) or 'hyaline cartilage' (the white gristle or joint covering at the end of the long bones?
KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline beach

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Think Positive!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 02:29:17 AM »
'hyaline cartilage' , the white stuff that is around the end of the bones, the femar for my situation.
1978 ACL tear, 85 menicus tear os fixed, ACL gone. 94 ACL reconstr & chondroplasty, 2000 debrement & chondroplasty, 2003 debrement & chondroplasty.

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2003, 06:41:14 AM »
 i am actually going to independent medical examiner weds to hopefully be cleared so i can have cartalige harvested and grown then put in where i have none. i will let you know how it goes. i have 2 surgeons recommend it, workers comp want ime to determine if it is for me as apposed to cadaver. the surgeon i see tomorrow was on congressional panel that approved carticel in 1997.  i would ask your surgeon about carticel, it is your own, so yur body should accept it.  they harvest  a piece of yours andd grow it in lab, very expensive but from all i  have been told and found out it is highly successfull and will become more prevelant over cadaver transplants.  i will let you know.
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline JessToni

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2003, 03:12:39 PM »
Beach,

I saw you in the the other discussion thread on osteochondritis dissecans.  I didn't realize you were thinking of having the cadaver cartilage procedure done.  Hopefully my surgery will be soon and I can let you know how it turns out.  I have heard a lot of good things about allograft surgery so i hopeful about it.

Jess

Offline Jo_Gibson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2003, 05:55:37 PM »
Hi Guys!

Wow - cant believe I have found this site - what a stroke of luck!

I am actually 3 months post my cartilage transplant surgery ( to my articular cartilage at the end of my femur).  I had my operation at The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore UK.  I had my own cells harvested by arthroscopy. They were then grown on a matrix of pig cells (!) and placed back into my knee through open surgery.
It certainly has been a long journey and the rehabilitation is slow, but it has definately been worth it.  The proceedure is only on trial here so I feel very lucky compaired to the alternatives available.

Would be great to share experiences/info with anyone who has had/or waiting for the operation. I think we are few and far between!   :)

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2003, 09:20:37 PM »
Hi Beach,

I am 18 weeks post op from the ACI surgery. That is the one where they take your cells, grow them, then replace them. So far I would say that it has been worth it. The slow rehab is very trying though. I am in tons less pain, and already able to do more that before the surgery.

Good luck to you!
Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03