Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACI Failures  (Read 4123 times)

Offline muffy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
ACI Failures
« on: December 16, 2002, 05:30:26 AM »
ACI:
Is a surgery for the brave of heart. It is experimental, and unproven. Mine went bad. We don't know why. Followed doctors orders to the tee. It will ruin you. Doctors are using us as they do lab mice. They claim an 80-90% success rate for this surgery. It is more like 50 %. If someone is planning to have this done. Don't do it.. Wait until, they get it right. Today, they are still far from this. Believe me....If I had to do it all over again I would say no. DO NOT BELIEVE IN THE LITERATURE ON THE SURGERIES SUCCESS. IT IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE. The suffering, pain, and the dramatic affect it will have on you lifestyle is above anything you can imagine. For more details, one can always contact me directly.
William

Offline PJS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: ACI Failures
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2002, 03:17:18 PM »
Muffy,
Myself and others (I guess) would like to understand what you believed caused the ACI site to fail.  It would helpful if you explained the size of the defect and the time from operation to failure, the symptons you experienced, the rhab programme you followed and what the OS eventually had to do.    I would like to personally Know if it was caused by trauma and especially any tips what not to do etc.   Lastly, is your knee now worse, or about the same to pre-operation.

FYI I had ACI 14 moths ago and have had quite some ups and downs but last six weeks has seen a dramatic improvement with no pain and in fact I have run the line at a football match without problem.

Of course sorry to learn of your situation but would like to learn a little.

Thanks

Offline wonderworm

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • One day they'll clone a whole knee and it will be
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 08:31:49 PM »
Nothing is guaranteed especially with surgery and you have to have a realistic outlook on this.  Like the other poster let's try to find out why yours failed.

1.  Did you suffer any twists or falls during recovery.
2.  Where were the defects and what is your age and what other damage did you have to your knee if any (menisectomy, arthritis, instability......?
3.  What range of CPM did you do and for how long?
4.  Describe what physical therapy protocol you went through and any atypical PT results.

Myself, I am 3 weeks post ACI and I hope I have not hurt my implant.  I've slipped a couple of times and caught myself on my bad knee due to the ice storms and I won't know if i've injured the implant for several months.  I take a large amount of glucoseamine/chondroiton mixture theoretically to speed the implants healing.  I'll give an update in a while.
ONE DAY THEY'LL CLONE A WHOLE KNEE AND IT WILL BE DONE!

Age 28.  2 ACL Recons, ACI on Troclear Lesion, Lateral Meniscetomy, Posterolateral Corner Reconstruction.

Offline muffy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 02:10:09 PM »
Sure;
I am 45 years of age. I had the ACI surgery done last April. I had no falls, no twists and no accidents. I had a 2 cm by 2 cm lesion on my femur. and I had pain when bending the knee. I followed protocol, religiously went to PT, but I am still in pain. In fact I am more in pain now than before. I had to have my knee scoped last month due to overgrowth of the graft. I measure success or failure by my level of pain. Based on this surgery it has been a failure since I am in more pain now  than before. My ROM has been limited to 100 degrees, due to the massive amount of scar tissue that has formed. It would require open knee surgery to remove it all. All in all, I regret having done this surgery. Yes I have a graft that is fully attached, but my lifestyle, pain level, and other conseqences ( scar tissue, more pain, medications taken ) is a very big price to pay for something that has not shown any results after almost one yesr. I wish you luck. If I can answer any more of your questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Offline muffy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2003, 06:04:15 PM »
PJS:
Are you telling me that you did not see any improvement for more than one year, then all of a sudden, you were OK? If so, what was your PT protocol. What did you do? What exercises were you doing? Were you hurting at night after working the knee? Your answers are much appreciated. When I say failure I mean the pain has not gone away. I was one of the few that had to deal with overgrowth...Thanking you much

Offline PJS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2003, 04:21:30 PM »
Muffy,
I am now 17 months post op and have just returned from the Gym where I ran on the treadmill for 5 minutes and other knee exercises without any pain whatsoever.  My knee continues to improve and for the most part I have no pain, unless I push the knee, like I did on Sunday decorating for 10 hours on my feet, then later that evening the knee ached (not pain) for a couple of hours and then was fine in the morning.  I have had many ups and downs with my knee and yes around about the year mark things started to improve very slowly.  I have always beleived that some of the pain was due to scar tissue breaking up inside the knee since (I seem to scar easily and these fade after two years on my skin, I bet inside my knee is the same) I never realy had much swelling after the first 2 months.
I my PT protocol is alot of cycling and low impact activities like swimming, I worked hard to build up all the leg muscles and if I got any problems with impact activities I woulod stop for a few days to week until I felt confident to continue.   I will start playing tennis this Easter and will take it easily at first.      It sounds as if your graft is fine, albeit slightly overgrown, and thus your pain may be from soemthing else, perhaps maltracking since leg muscles may not yet be strong enougth.  

let us know how you knee is.  Your lesion was about the same size as mine.

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2003, 12:36:37 AM »
Hi,

I had ACI surgery Nov 6, 2002. So far I have less pain. It is still too soon to know what will happen when i start stressing the knee, but i have to say that I would try it again. I was looking at things only getting worse, not better if I tried nothing.

Maybe the scar tissue is the root of all your problems now Muffy? What other options were you given befor surgery? What do you think you would do instead now that you look back on it?

Hope things get better for you!
Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03

Offline Joanna

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2003, 07:09:14 PM »
Hello everyone,

I will be one year post op on Saturday.  I still suffer from pain but I have expected this.  I was told by my surgeon that this operation is not a quick fix and it can take up to 18months to two years to get back to normal.   I have had low periods when the pain get a bit too much but I have to keep reminding myself that it is still early days.  

Even though I still have pain and have to take painkillers every day.  I have been able to reduce the amount I take.  If I didn't have the operation I would have probably doubled my dose by now.

I am now waiting for a one year check up arthroscopy.  This is normal procedure where I had my operation. (Stanmore, UK)  I have been led to believe that overgrowth is common and this is one of the reasons for the follow up.

My advise is to just hang in there.  It is very frustrating, exercise is very important.  I let this slip a little bit and is probably one of the reasons for the pain.

Best of luck to everyone  ;)

Joanna
3 Arthroscopies; 2000 - Shaving and clean out; 2001 - Wash Out; 2002 - 1st Stage ACI. 2nd Stage ACI - 2002; Arthroscopy to check ACI graft - 2003; ACI failed - Jan 2005; High Tibial Osteotomy & MACI - March 2006; Hardwear removal - 2007; MACI failed - 2009.

Offline PJS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2003, 01:28:49 PM »
Joanna,

What was the size of your defect (mine was 3.5cm2) and did you experience alot of crunching and snapping in the first six months, I did and was alrmed if I had any associated pain.    Things from a year on certainly settled down for me and albeit I have had some ups and downs, the general trend had been up.  I am starting to believe that around 2 years (now 17 months post op) I will have a perfect knee again.    I also believe that too much PT is as bad as not enougth.   From all the stories I have read everyone's recovery time is different and the "what you should be able to do PT schedules are far too optimistic", I for one certainly never met running at 9-12 months etc, I believe these PT schedules to be psychologically damaging since you feel that you are always failing.     The trick is to listen to your keen with ACI and take it easy when you have pain and push on with PT when things are going well.

Offline Joanna

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2003, 06:59:03 PM »
Hello,

In answer to your question, the size of my defect was about the same as a 10p (or a quarter if you are in the US!) Not very big but it caused a lot of pain.

I agree about the problem of too much physio.  I seemed to suffer in the days after my sessions.  By the time I went to the next one the pain had gone!  I was doing weights which really agrivated my knee.  My surgeon told me to stop.  My last physio session was in September and the exercises I was given then are not very effective very more.  I have asked my doctor to refer me back so hopefully I can get some more up to date ones!

I try to do at least five minutes on the exercise bike every evening, I don't think I will be running for a while!

Did you have any problem with overgrowth?  I am having a scan next month and hopefully this will show up any problems.  The first thing I noticed when I was back on my feet again was that the grinding sound had stopped and now my knee bends smoothly.  I didn't have any cracking sounds but I did have a 'fizzing' sensation which was a bit wierd!

Best wishes
Joanna
« Last Edit: March 12, 2003, 07:02:26 PM by Joanna »
3 Arthroscopies; 2000 - Shaving and clean out; 2001 - Wash Out; 2002 - 1st Stage ACI. 2nd Stage ACI - 2002; Arthroscopy to check ACI graft - 2003; ACI failed - Jan 2005; High Tibial Osteotomy & MACI - March 2006; Hardwear removal - 2007; MACI failed - 2009.

Offline PJS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2003, 11:27:45 AM »
Joanna,

I haven't had check up for overgrowth and assume that because I don't have catching or pain, that over growth is not an issue for me.   Your fizzing is interesting and I guess we are all different in our recovery and response to PT.   It does seem that people's recovery speeds are different, some are up and running at one year, some at 1-1/2 year (myself) and others at two years.    

Please keep us informed of how you prgress.

Peter