Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Well...  (Read 767 times)

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Well...
« on: November 08, 2005, 11:37:33 PM »
Tomorrow is the big day that i go to see the nursing program head to talk about my surgery, clinical, classes, etc...gulp. I will find out whether i will end up a year behind or not in the program if i am to have the surgery during class time. I am sort of nervous, but not sure why. The program head is such a sweet lady, like your stereotypical grandma, and she makes the effort to know all of the students by name(there are over 300 of us!). So i am going to make my list of what i want to talk to her about and i guess will go from there. Will post when i get home from my meeting with her, and hopefully it is all good news, and i won't end up being behind a year if i go in for surgery. I have pretty much decided to go when i get the call, but there is still that slight bit of resistance at the back of my mind, but i guess that things will be sorted out tomorrow. Thanks for all of your support!!
Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Well...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 03:00:41 AM »
During my final year of nursing school, I had more than 7 major surgeries, and was in the hospital more than 34 days total. THey told me I was the only one they probably would let continue, as I was the top of my class, and was able to score greater than 95 % on their essay make up exams. It wasn't all that difficult academically, but making up clinicals took alot of time. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 06:35:31 AM »
Leah, I'm sure you will do fine. Take a deep breath and just take it step by step.
I haven't been in nursing class with bad kneeproblems, but when I were becoming youthleader at university I when we had wintereducation, meaning learning to ski I fell and hurt me badly. But tough I couldn't walk for a half year evrything worked out fine with special planning with headmaster.

NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 10:27:07 PM »
Back from my appt with the nursing program head, and it went really well. After talking to her about things, she said that they are there to help, not to hinder our progress, and that they will do everything possible to accomadate me in regards to surgery. She said that she once had a student who had major cancer surgery during her clinical rotation, and she didn't fall behind at all, because they give you special permission to miss more than 2 clinicals if there are extenuating circumstances, and i would fall under that category. She said that marks do play a role in it, and said that as my marks are right now, i don't have to worry about that criteria. Said that in general not to worry about it, and to put my efforts from worrying towards other more useful things. So, i am really happy that i went to talk to her and am now not as worried in regards to school and getting behind as a result of surgery. She told me that as soon as i hear anything at all to come back in and see her and that we can go from there, but until then not to worry about it. Thanks for your replies, they are appreciated!!
Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 03:33:58 AM »
Leah,

That's great news! I know that's gotta be a big relief.

Good luck!!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

support