Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Blood on the knee  (Read 1581 times)

Offline sarakate

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Blood on the knee
« on: November 08, 2005, 11:01:46 PM »
Hi,

I'm just looking for some advice really. I'm an 18 year old girl and I have a long history of bilateral knee pain, and i had arthroscopies in February 2005 (right knee) and September 2005 (left knee). Despite having had a suction drain in place following both operations, it now appears that this was ineffective on my left knee and a large amount of blood has accumulated there causing severe pain and alot of swelling.

Does anyone know what causes blood on the knee, or how it is fixed?

Thanks

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
Re: Blood on the knee
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 11:06:26 PM »
Try to keep it iced and elevated if you can.
May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 09:13:45 AM »
yep...keep it mobile..as much extension and flexion as you can. Everyone is different but.....My PT described it that keeping the knee mobile pumps new fuid round which can remove the blood and refresh everything. If it's in there too long the blood goes very sticky and eventually solid.
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline fluttergirl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 05:20:02 PM »
The first time I had a dislocation, I had a lot of blood on my knee.  The OS said to keep it elevated above my heart, and that would help drain it.  If not, he said he'd have to drain it with a "big needle".  My knee was up in the air for a good 2 weeks, and no needles. ;)
Left Patella Dislocation:  1986, 1988, 1990, 1992, 1995, 2005
LR: 1/94
TTT: 9/23/05
OA in both knees

Offline Ferris

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 08:19:56 AM »
I had my knee drained the day after my fall on the ski slope in France.  Luckily my French wasn't up to understanding what they were planning to do as I think that I would have walked out of the hospital the moment that they said needle as as I dread them.  Instead, I had x-rays done as soon as I arrived and was then wheeled to wait outside another room.  I thought that I was waiting to see a doctor to discuss the results of the x-ray but instead once I got in there, the nurse and doctor explained with a mixture of basic English, French and sign language that they needed to drain my knee.  Although I didn't see the needle at this stage, I was already tense as I knew that it had to be long in order to get into the knee.  Then they told me to lie down and so I couldn't see them doing it.  They told me to relax as they were having problems getting the needle in - I was thinking that they would be tense having a long needle stuck in them!  However, it didn't hurt that much after all - the anticipation was worse than the reality.  I did see the needle after they removed it and the syringe was full of blood.  I was told by several people including my OS back in England that this was a good indicator that I had done some damage to my ACL along with my other symptoms and how I fell.

Rachel