Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Comparison ACL and Tibia Plateau Fracture  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Lars-Erik

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Comparison ACL and Tibia Plateau Fracture
« on: November 08, 2005, 10:19:26 PM »
Hello everybody – hope you can help me!

I hope someone can help me with a comparison between a Tibia Plateau Fracture (tibiachondyl) and an Anterior Cruciate Ligament injury (ACL).

I got the damage in a very dramatic way, I was hunted by a man with an axe and jumped over a small wall and landed in a very bad way. (I can tell more about it later.)

However, in my left leg the Tibia plateau cracked and healed with a level difference by 1-3 mm. At the time there was no operation done but one year later a meniscus operation made my knee a little better. Now have have over two years gone and I still have pain in the knee every day and I’ve big problems when trying to run or carry heavy things.

The question maybe seems a little bit strange but it is an insurance matter. In the tables for the ACL injure it shows ten percent medical disability. I’ve hadn’t found the percentage for a Tibia Plateau Fracture but the insurance company doctor have set to damage to five percent.

I’ve myself had an ACL injury in my other knee for over twenty years ago and in my opinion an ACL damage is a lot easier to live with. I would have some help with arguments to the insurance company. That could be a reference to a newspaper or science article or just your own opinion.

It would be very helpful to get a reference to a table over medical disability where a similar damage is listed.

Thanks!

Offline Nails

• Regular Poster
  • I love sports!!
Re: Comparison ACL and Tibia Plateau Fracture
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 01:10:02 AM »
Whoa.. wait a minute... you were hunted by a man with an axe!!! :o Sounds like a physco on the loose. Glad you got out alive.

Can't help you any as I know very little about insurance since I'm just a hair past 18. Guess I should be learning some...

Good luck,
Nails
P.S. I'm very interested in hearing the story of the man with the axe.. I'm waiting on the edge of my seat..
ACL Reconstruction June '05 (Hamstring Graft)
MCL Tear Grade III
Bone Bruise
Cyst
Dried up cartilage on bone
"Its time to release the beast.. Let me play!"
*18 years old*

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 09:10:34 AM »
surely you should be exmined to assess the disability level? How can they teel froma table how much it affects your life?
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline Lars-Erik

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 01:06:33 PM »
Of course I’ve been examined by an independent doctor, he wrote a disability certificate which is used by the insurance company. In these kind of certificate there is no percentage given about how the injury affect the disability. It’s up to the insurance company to do a proper valuation of the certificate and set a percentage.

Here is the problem, why do they set a minor percentage for the Tibia Plateau fracture and a higher for the ACL? I know by my own experience that a successful operation of ACL doesn’t influence so much on your regular life. Many professional footballs player can continue their career with after an ACL operation. In my case I have pain every day and if I take a long (1-2 hour) walk with my dog I get extra pain for a few days. It feels like an infection or an “overload” of the knee.
------
Do you want some more information about the incident that broke my knee?

Well, it isn’t easy to run with a broken knee (tibia) so the axe-man came up to me and pressed me against a fence with his hand around my neck and the axe in stroke position. I had two options. One was to do a fight, the other to stay calm (not easy under these circumstances), so I put up my hands and talked the “psycho” out of situation. At this time there also was some witness present. I have read a little about how hard it’s is for a man to kill someone that doesn’t make resistance an with an answer in my hand I did the right thing.
--------
Hope you can help me with my question:

Where can I find information about how a Tibia Plateau Fracture should be judged or a reference to a judging table.

Thanks in advance!