Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: no muscle control?  (Read 848 times)

Offline rjswyoming

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
no muscle control?
« on: November 08, 2005, 09:50:59 PM »
I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I had knee surgery three weeks ago (2nd surgery on this knee) I am finding that I have no control over my muscles when I try to lift my leg while sitting or lying down. It's like a dead limb and I never had problems like this with 1st surgery. My pt says my muscles have gone into shock, but I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the femoral block I had for surgery? Does anyone else have this problem, and if so what did you do to regain muscle control. I have tried every exercise my pt has shown me, but I'm really frustrated!!!

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: no muscle control?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 09:17:11 AM »
Hang in there...after my original injury it was about 5 weeks before my quads remebered what to do. Wierd i know when the leg won't lift...just keep trying, several times a day, to fire it up. Use different positions and different exercises and, evetually, it will come back. Muscles are wierd things. It's like when you break a bone, the brain won't let the muscles move so as to protect the joint. That's what happened in my leg when i injured it, even tho i hadn't broken it
Good luck
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 12:41:33 PM »
I have also had this problem after some surgeries. The main thing that helped me teach my leg what to do is to do the straight leg raise with both legs at the same time. Hubbywould pick up the injured one while i tried to lift it. It took a week of this before my muscles figured out what they were supposed to do. It will get better. good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline rjswyoming

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 09:56:44 PM »
Thanks for the posts, and the reassurance that eventually my muscles will work again. It's just so frustrating ;D and I would love to drive again :) I went to pt this morning and still no movement. I am doing the e-stim three times a day, not to mention the different exercises. This is surgery #2 on this knee, and I didn't have as many problems with the first surgery, but the doctor also did much more cutting and digging on this one. Thanks again for the encouragement, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one whose had this problem.