Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I think my physio is messing me around....what should i do!  (Read 980 times)

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • fin
I think my physio is messing me around....what should i do!
« on: November 04, 2005, 05:17:10 PM »
As most will know physio has been telling me that i am lacking quad strength.

Well I met my best friend from a while back on monday (randomly ran in to him) and have started going to the gym with him since now i have a couple training partners.

Today we were doing legs.

On the leg press I was doing 8 reps of 195kg. So something tells me i'm not lacking quad strength! And bare in mind last wednesday was the last time i was told i was lacking quad strength!

What should I do about it? Confront the physio about it or let it slide? or something else.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: I think my physio is messing me around....what should i do!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 06:08:32 PM »
Be careful with that leg....maybe bring your phys there and show ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 06:28:08 PM »
might have to. And I was careful nettan. My 2 mates were standing next so if my knee felt dodgy they would take the weights off. Within seconds of me asking they could have had 40KG off. And then a few secs later another 40

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 06:29:54 PM »
Ok, but it's better using lower weights and more repetations, give you stronger muscles.....not muscles to look at and show hehehehehe...muscles to use.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 10:39:37 PM »
Endurance is important too for muscle strength. You may well be able to lift heavy weights for a few reps but can you manage low weights for about 40 reps??. Maybe that is what your physio is getting at. Maybe you should tactfully ask them about this. Maybe ask them to test strength compared to your good leg??.
Dont doubt their ability, it takes a long time to train as a physio. It takes a very long time to regain full strength in the quads. It took me the best part of a year working every morning for about 40 mins at home then 4 days a week at the gym, 3 days on strength, high weights x 3 sets of 5 reps, and one day on endurance, very low weight 40 reps x 3 sets. With swimming, hydrotherapy and cycling in between and now and again going to physio for check-ups and to alter the programme.
Regaining full muscle strength doesnt happen over night.

Why not ask your physio to work you out a programme to use at the gym. Mine was familiar with the equipment at my gym and worked out a 5 day programme for several months, then reduced it to a 4 day programme, which I have to continue with to infinity and probably beyond!! :(

I understand how long you've been doing the exercises but believe me, Ive had 7 knee operations and know exactly how frustrating it is to be constantly trying to build those muscles up.

Heather ;)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 10:43:53 PM by heather k from wales »
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft