Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Rupture ACL,is the end neigh???  (Read 1603 times)

Offline schambers

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Rupture ACL,is the end neigh???
« on: November 03, 2005, 06:05:21 PM »
While playing 7 aside football on an astroturf pitch I managed to fall over and damage my knee.
After going to A&E several times, they couldnt diagnosed why I still coulnt bend it. The surgeon thought it might be a cartliage problem.

After my date with the knife, a few hours later I was told I had ruptured my ACL. GUTTED, my mensicus was perfect.

I am doing home exercises to try and bend and striaghten my leg again (&physio), I have an appointment with the consultant in a weeks time, but I thought I could get some advice from people who have the same injury as me.
I am 30 and play 7 a side football twice a week, about 30mins each. Love to hear from people who have gone through the same.

1/Consultant said that I could still play without the ligament in 3months time, how realstic is that, and can I push myself as much as before??
2/Will I have problems in the future?
3/Is a reconstruction the only option?

Thanks for your time, Ste

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Re: Rupture ACL,is the end neigh???
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 09:20:10 PM »
hey there,
It really depednds if youll be able to play again without an ACL. If you have really strong quads and muscles, it may be possible but playing such a strenous sport as football, with all th pivoting and changing direction it will make it very difficult. I play soccer and was unable to play without and ACL. If you dont get it fixed, you risk damagin your meniscus in the furture beacuse without an ACL it puts unwanted pressure on the mensicus. Untimatly, the decision is yours but if I were you, Id get surgery.
Krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline cheapaschips

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 09:57:42 PM »
I did mine playing footie and was totally fed up with being in the gym 3 times a week just to have a muscle group strong enough to protect the weak knee, it took me a long time to get my head around the idea of surgery and a major rehab being as i could pretty much do everything i used to be able to, just occasionally i'd find me knee telling me to watch it.
You really need to get straight in your own mind what you want and how you get to that.
read up and understand the implications of doing and not doing.
not doing it can lead to further injuries - your ability to decide for yourself is then taken away.
I'm 9 weeks post op and it's not been that bad - there are days when i wonder why i bothered when my knee really aches after a 1 mile walk, but it can take anywhere between 6months abd a year to get over the op fully - lets face it - they drill a hole through your tibia - it's gonna hurt somewhere along the line.
also dont expect to play football any time soon after- my Surgeon says 9month ban minimum.

Hope this helps

cheap
left leg ACLR (Ham graft) sept 2005 after partial tear during 5 aside.
It's not that bad - really...

Offline schambers

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 01:44:58 PM »
Thanks Guys for the advice.

Looks like the best option is to have the reconstruction!! Its been 2 weeks since the the keyhole, but I still have limited movement in my leg.
I dont want to get my leg to full fitness and then have the recon surgery and have to start all the hard work again. Knowing the NHS I will be waiting a while and I really cant aford to have it done privately.
Dont suppose you know the going rate for this op privately??

How long was it before you could walk without a limp following the keyhole? (cant remember proper name for it). Physio has opted for a knee brace, doing intense physio, but still limping. Going to a concert the 25thNov and want to be able to throw a few shapes. Prodigy

Seeing the consultant tomorrow, will let you know whats he tells me.
Ste

Offline loz8

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 03:08:25 PM »
Ste,
Good luck with it all...check out the posts on the Cruciates page...lots of info and some good encouragement. I am 5 weeks post op and my PT said 7.5 months was realistic to return to footy if i continue my programme (am in the gym 1hr every day) so that gave me a boost today. I am 31 had 9 months trying to recover from a torn ACL without the recon 4 years ago....lasted me a while but in the end i had to have it done. Its a long hard road back but from what most say its worth it.
Loz
ACL Tear 2001
ACL Recon Oct 2005

Offline rockette

• Forum Faithful
  • GET R DONE!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 05:18:33 PM »
Schambers

Yes you do want to keep your leg in good shape prior to surgery. A strong leg in the beginning is much better than a weak one. It's like anything else. Your rehap will be twice as hard if you don't stay strong.I'm sure you will be hearing the same advise from your GP,OS , and PT. I worked hard prior to my sugery and it was the best thing I did. It is real easy to loose muscle too soon. It take a long time to regain it. You need your strength....trust me...Good luck with your consultant.

Rockette
knee injury April 04-Brace CII crutches
epidural/cpm hospital 1 week June 04 MUA
scope Jan 05
acl recon pcl repair July7.05
Epidural/CPM/catheter Oct 11.05 UGH!!! MUA 4 days paralized
Ext prob/waiting for scope 06

Offline schambers

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 04:08:49 PM »
Hello my fellow knee friends

Seen the consultant yesterday, with my big list of the questions I needed to know.
The main thing I need to do is, get my knee bending again, currently wearing a knee brace (just at work)

I did mention that I was thinking about reconstruction, but he wouldnt touch it until I have proper use of the knee. Surgery is always last option and 1/3 of people cope perfectly well without it.
He did make a good point, that all the people who are playing without an ACL maybe have not been in contact, as there is no need for them to do so.

So I am going to carry on with my exercises and Physio, going back in 6 weeks to check my progress. Football is on the back burner at the moment, but I can still go and watch it.
Gazza is the new Player/Manager of my home town, Kettering.

Thanks for all your support/replys, especially Krista, Cheap, Loz and Rockette, will keep you informed

Offline rockette

• Forum Faithful
  • GET R DONE!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 04:40:12 PM »
schambers

Ahh....you see. It took a year before I had surgery due togetting my strength and stability back. I had mine done because of rupture and all of a sudden the leg would give way without warning. It was a menace.. It was either wait it out and see or get it done while I am still fit and strong.We kept guessing every other month and prolonging it. The longer I waited(this was good) the more I was convinced to have it corrected. I had a year dealing with an impaired knee and I tried to live with it the way it was. So waiting out on a decsion is a good thing. Mine just never improved enough no matter how strong I got. Hang in there and keep in touch. I hope this makes sence.Yours may react differently. My PCL had to be repaired as well due to the fact that it was releasing itself from the endpoint.
Rockette
scope Jan 05

Offline kailyn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 05:17:52 PM »
I couldn't agree more, you certainly need to get as much strength and bend as possible prior to the surgery, if that is what you decide to do.  I snapped my ACL after crashing a quad bike 8 years ago, but I also damaged the menicus and other ligaments as well.  I had my reconstruction about 6 years ago and  I've certainly not regretted having the surgery; my knee is much more stable, but I've not been without problems since, I've had several bouts of keyhole surgery to debride the knee and I'm currenlty waiting to have a TKR. However, I'm not sure how much of this is attributed to the amount of exercise I do currently, or whether it would of happened anyway, I'm a bit a a fitness freak and probably over do things a little.  I wish you well.

Offline rockette

• Forum Faithful
  • GET R DONE!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 12:55:14 AM »
Kailyn

I too was on a quad.Skipidy doo da and away I went...

Rockette
scope Jan 05

support