Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: CONTROLLING PAIN WHEN CARTILAGE IS GONE  (Read 852 times)

Offline asteinsbwt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
CONTROLLING PAIN WHEN CARTILAGE IS GONE
« on: November 03, 2005, 03:05:10 PM »
Hi Everyone,
  I have severe arthritic degeneration in my right knee that is causing a lot of pain and keeps me from walking more than a couple of blocks.  My doctor says I need a total knee replacement, but that I am not a candidate for one, because of veinous insufficiency that would leave me extremely vulnerable to infection. He says I have no good options. I tried the synvisc injections but they didn't work. He says it is now just a matter of my finding a way to tolerate the pain, and taking narcotic painkillers when nothing else works. Does anyone have any other suggestions for pain control?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: CONTROLLING PAIN WHEN CARTILAGE IS GONE
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 03:12:40 PM »
Hey !!

If you are in that much pain and you can't have a TKR you should try get a referal to a painmanagement doc or clinic.
There are a lots of treatment for pain you can use, but in every case the best is to get help from the docs who can all about painmanagement, cause we are all different and respond differently to painmanagement.
Talk with your doc of the possibilities of getting a referal.
Let me know how it goes.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 12:28:22 PM »
I am in pain management and it does help. Nothing completely kills the pain but it does make it bearable most of the time. I take a combination of meds that helps me. Please try to get a referal to a pain dr or see your GP for pain management.

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline stoplimping

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Wannabe Pirate
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 03:05:39 PM »
Oddly enough I  can channel my pain into one are that is bothering the most and ignore the other pains.  I then focus my attention on it, normally by giving it some moist heat via a wheat bag or gently exercising it, or resting it. I don't even know ho to explain who I do it let alone how somebody else could try and do it.  I don't do drugs at all, I became addicted, or say they said to me, so I manage my pain with no pills. 

I just seem to know my body well enough to work out what area has a need. I can switch off and that acts like a damper.  I also have a very high  enduring pain threshold and that does help. All I could suggest is, when you have pains, concentrate and follow each pain response to find the cause.  Is it inner pain outer, is it in the bone, working out which one is the one that needs attention and acknowledging the other pains but focusing solely on the one that needs it.

I dare say a lot of what i can do with mine is down to the way I can deal with pain as a part of the course.  I know if i walk what will be hurting and what will hurt after.  Its' like saying this operation will do this and you will be in pain after this is  natural.  For me I accept that and I'm OK with it.  Something I do mentally then clicks and  a block goes up, I have not had an operation yet that I have woke up in any pain or discomfort. Blocking is not the answer, but for me it works, I had this ability before the PTSD and since then it seems to have got pretty effective at allowing me to focus on one pain not a whole host of them.

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 03:47:35 AM »
Hi, I aslo have no cartilage and have constant "toothache" in my right knee and leg all the way up to my hip. When it's reallly bad I "pump" my muscles as in point and flex my toes and tensing my quads while sitting down...I also wear a leg warmermost days and nights, prefeably made of wool and I never let my feet get cold........then I ignore the pain and think of all the good things I have in my life...then I have a glass of redwine..and watch a good show on tv...but this only works at night...

good luck and ..mind over matter...

hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

support