Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Help understanding my MRI results  (Read 6579 times)

Offline charmcity05

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help understanding my MRI results
« on: September 27, 2005, 02:27:57 AM »
Hi, I received my MRI results today and am a bit confused. I don't think it's anything bad...but I'm hoping someone can translate in laymans terms. The MRI was ordered by my Rheumatologist who has now referred me to an OS, my appointment isn't until next week...the rheumy didn't explain much other than you need to see the OS, and I got kind of wierded out because the OS is also a muscoskeletal oncologist. This is what the report says:

1. 4.5cmx4.0cmx1.7cm multi-lobulated, multi-septated systic mass extending from the anterolateral knee join through Hoffa's fat pad subcutaneously, corresponding to the patient's palpable abnormality. This likely represents a large ganglion cyst. No meniscal tear is evident to suggest meniscal cyst. To confirm its cystic nature, contrast enhanced suty may be performed.
2. Multi-lobular, 4.1cmx1.7cmx1.2cm cystic intraosseous mass, extending from the femoral notch near the attachment of the cruciate ligaments superiorly. This likely represents a large intraosseous ganglion, possibly related to tiny ACL ganglion cyst. No evidence of anterior cruciate ligament or posterior cruciate ligment tear.
3. Eccentric lesion, medial femoral diaphysis, which has heterogeneously bright signal on the T2 weighted images and sclerotic border. This likely represents and old non-ossifying fibroma, with cystic component. Plain firm correlation is recommended at this time.
4. Patella alta, without evidence of chondromalacia.

It also mentions in the report there is no significant joint effusion. Trace Baker's cyst is identified and there are a few non-specific, sub-centimeter popliteal lymph nodes, likely inflammatory in etiology.

Is this something that would require any surgery? My knee hurts off and on sometimes with the area above my knee and my foot going numb...the more I use it the more it hurts and it also swells often at night. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Help understanding my MRI results
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 12:56:22 PM »
It sounds like your knee is full of cysts. Patella alta means that you kneecap is riding higher than it should but the good news is that you dont have any damage to the articular cart on the back of the patella from the patella alta. That is very good news. You have no ligament or meniscus tears. JOint effusion refers to swelling so you have no significant swelling. I have no idea if you will need to have the cysts surgically removed. I have had and still have a couple of small cysts but your appear to be rather large. I wish you luck with your OS and keep us posted on what he says. Sorry that I cant be of more help.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline charmcity05

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 02:27:18 PM »
Missy,

Thanks for the reply. I actually got good news this morning, they had a cancellation at the OS so I can be seen tomorrow. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

Charm

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 03:02:36 PM »
Hi Charm,
   Just wanted to wish you luck with your appointment tomorrow.  Hopefully the cysts can be drained without surgery.  Let us know.

Take care,
Patty

Offline charmcity05

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 05:47:18 PM »
Well just to update anyone who was reading, they still cannot make a difinitive diagnosis of exactly what this mass is in my knee.  ??? I'm going back in today for another MRI with and without contrast this time to rule out a synovial hemangioma or even worse...sarcoma. They feel "pretty certain" that it is a benign condition but want this additional MRI just to make sure. The silence at the OS's office was deafening as they wouldn't tell me much, which made me very very nervous! I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 09:31:31 PM »
Good Luck with the new MRI,  Hopefully it will not be anything serious.

Let us know when it is scheduled!

HUGs

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline charmcity05

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 03:40:48 AM »
Well I finally had my follow up appointment with my OS today. The MRI with contrast confirmed that they are in fact cysts in my knee and not something solid. I've been scheduled for a consultation on Nov 1st with another OS who specializes in arthroscopic removal of intra-articular cysts. They feel it's necessary to take them out because they are really starting to restrict the mobility of my knee...and I have to say I agree at this point. I'm getting tired of having to modify my activities because of this stupid knee.  :-X I'm wondering how long the recovery time will be...but I'm thinking that because it seems simple, it shouldn't be too long. I guess I'll have a better idea next Tuesday.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 02:29:00 AM »
I am glad that your knee problems turned out to be only cysts instead of something scary like sarcoma. I would think that the surgery would be pretty simple considering they are only removing cysts BUT I was surprised how much even small surgeries hurt in the knee joint.
good luck
keep us posted
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline charmcity05

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 04:51:41 PM »
Well surgery is scheduled for December 14th. They don't think that they will be able to get all of the cysts out as they spriral and wind all around the inside of my knee. They are going to arthroscopically remove what they can and also make and open incision over the part that you can see on the outside of my knee where a cyst has escaped the joint. The doc said it may or may not relieve my symptoms and we won't know until it is complete. They aren't sure if the pain I am experiencing is from the cyst compressing on areas in the knee or patellofemoral pain syndrome either aggrivated by or separate from the cysts. Guess I will be moving further discussion of this to a new section of the board. I'm sort of scared about the surgery...but at the same time just want to get it over with.  :-\