Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: teenage surgery  (Read 809 times)

Offline roogal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
teenage surgery
« on: November 02, 2005, 11:55:35 PM »
my 14 yr old daughter has been diagnosed with miserable malalignment. She is experiencing increasing knee pain and misplacement of the patella. However surgeon prefers not to operate until growth plates have formed. This has only been a problem in the last 8 months and had no idea she had anything wrong with her knees until one day she mentioned her knee was "popping out " after sport . We have tried strapping and  braces but they seem to aggravate it .  She has had to have increasing time off school the hundreds of stairs she has to navigate all day are a nightmare. We have seen a physio and has given her serious of muscle strengthening exercises but it seems to be getting worse if anything. However the physiotherapist was not very optimistic about outcomes of surgery and has made us very alarmed at the prospect . Can anyone advise with experience of this in teenagers. Thx from a very worried mum!

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Re: teenage surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 04:11:35 AM »
HI there,

i'm 18 and was diagnosed with miserable malalignment as well.  it wasnt until after a knee scope, did the OS decide it wasnt just a plica that was causing all of my knee troubles.  i then searched out for another OS and couldnt be more happy with the one i have now.  i've had what is called a Tibial tubercle transfer on both knees this year.  this involves cutting the bone where the patellar tendon connects to the tibia, and then moving that piece over to where it technically should be so the patella sits in the correct groove.  this surgery isnt the easiest to recover from and does take alot of hard work and determination.  there are a few of us teenagers on the board here whom all have had the TTT and are starting to actually get our lives back. i'd be more than happy to answer any questions you or your daughter may have!  keep us updated, and welcome!
~Mandy :D
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)