Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Sick Leaving Following an ACL repair  (Read 997 times)

Offline Nmi1004516

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Sick Leaving Following an ACL repair
« on: November 02, 2005, 12:29:47 PM »
Hi People

My op is now booked for the 24th November , Was wondering how long on average people take off work following this kind of operation, I appreciate that everyone is different but a few answers would at least let me prepare!

cheers

Russell

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
Re: Sick Leaving Following an ACL repair
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 01:56:32 PM »
It really depends on the type of job you do.  A heavy manual worker would probably require about 3, 4 or 5 months where as a light office worker could possibly manage a week or two off.  I was 'banned' from driving until I was 6 weeks post op and brace free.

You really need to be 100% dedicated to physio.  I was in physio 3 days a week for 5 months then 2 days a week for the 6th month, then released with a 4 day a week gym programme to continue with.

Everyone is different, pain levels vary tremendously and we all recover at different rates but the physio dedication is pretty much the same for everyone.
Maybe you can manage to do the physio in the evenings after work ???

Remember the reason you are having this op.  Id imagine its for you to have a functioning knee ???  If you put the hard work and effort in now and after the op, then hopefully your knee will last you a lifetime.

Good luck,

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline pegleg78

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • slow and steady wins the race.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 04:47:41 PM »
I have had ACL surgery 2 times on my right knee, both times I also had other procedures done at the same time. The first time I took 1 week off of work and then went back to work part time for a few weeks. The second time I also had a meniscus transplant and was in a lot mre pain. I took 2 weeks off and then part time for a few weeks. I was also in school full time so I was doing a lot. If I wasn't in school I think I could have gone back to work full time not part time. I did also have a desk job at the time.
Good luck. I think i was driving at about 3 weeks.
99 ACL, med, lat men repair
00 Med menisectomy, lat men repair
01 med, lat meniscus transplant, ACL rev, LR
01 chrondroplasty, manip & debrid
02 med, lat partial menisectomy
03 Arthrotomy,  LOA, LR
05 chrondroplasty, lat men repair, shrink ACL
05  med menisectomy, chrondropla
05 med PKR

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 07:08:27 PM »
hi
Iteach high school and so I'm on my feet all day at work. Was told I would need 6-8 weeks off minimum(ACL hamstring autograft recon only...no other damage). Have worked it so that, including the Xmas holiday i will be 10 weeks post op returning to work. My OS and PT are happy with this but they still have concerns over how I will fit the PT in when I'm back at work
Hope this helps
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline shazbrown

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 10:09:15 AM »
Hi there

When I had my ACL done I was teaching computing in a secondary school.  I had the operating in early July and went back to work in October.  I was then fit and capable of doing my job properly, without the family suffering too much when I got home.   I would only say it depends what you do for a living, but do make sure you are properly fit before returning to work!

Sharon
Drain Removal  27/8/05
TKR LK 23/8/05
Arthroscopy LK 05/05
Arthroscopy LK 12/04
Arhtroscopy RK 2000
Arthroscopy and Cyclops Lesion removal RK 2000
ACL RK 2000
Arthroscopy RK 2000

Offline clesher

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 10:45:37 AM »
I teach 8th grade physical science. (My students are 13-14 years old.)  I had a tibialis allograft used to replace my acl and no problems with my meniscus.  I was back to teaching in 3 weeks.  The toughest part was going up and down the 3 flights of stairs at my school, but what great therapy!  Walking through the crowded aisles was difficult, too.  Basically, I stand 8 hours, except for lunch.  I was tired by the end of the day, but not in any particular pain. 

Offline feggie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 09:22:34 PM »
Hello,
I was told by my doctor that if you use a donor graft, from a cadaver, the recovery is much faster and easier, than if you have a piece of one of your own ligaments...two surgical sites, vs. one. I am 54 years old, and was told the donor (allograph) is preferable for older people.
Good luck,
Feggie
complete acl tear w/ meniscus damage 4/05; acl allograft recon. w/ meniscus repair 11/1/05