Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Please advise: Patella tilt and subluxation  (Read 746 times)

Offline DMCCOY

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Please advise: Patella tilt and subluxation
« on: November 04, 2005, 06:59:20 PM »
I have been diagnosed with Patella tilt.  I was released from physical therapy after about 3 months because i was told my vmo was as strong as it should be.  The remaining pain i was experiencing, i was told could be corrected with arthroscopic surgery(by cleaning out any particles behind my knees.).  I continued physical therapy exercises on my own time for about 6 months now.  I experience severe pain in my knees if I try to run or squat down.  The only improvements i have seen from physical therapy has been a decrease in pain when i walk.  My VA doctor has suggested a LR to correct my patella tilt.  But in addition to my patella tilt i also sometimes have my right knee slightly slide out of place when trying to extend it after sitting for awhile.  There really is no pain there is just a slight poping that i can feel.  I know a LR will only correct a tilted patella but i was wondering if my slight subluxing could be due to my patella being tilted.   Could a tight IT band cause a tilted patella or subluxing.   I also read somewhere that deep tissure massage may relax my IT band and outter thight muscles enough to allow my patella to rerturn to their normal state.  I am willing to try anything before haveing to decide on surgery.  I was wondering if anyone has had success with trigger point therapy or deep tissue massage for a tilted patella.  Also are there stretches for my knee cap i should be doing like pushing my knee cap to its proper place and holding it?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Like most all of you i am very frustrated with all this and would like to get my knees as closely back to normal as possible. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 03:48:31 PM by DMCCOY »
LR-Right knee- Dec 19 2005

support