Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Recent injury  (Read 766 times)

Offline rubbahnek

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Recent injury
« on: November 02, 2005, 02:11:51 PM »
Recently I sustained an injury to my right knee.  While sprinting I tripped and landed on the front (interior part) of my right knee.  About an hour after the fall the knee swelled to about the size of a grapefruit.  I went to the doctor the following day and he said I  would need an MRI to determine if the knee is injured to extent that surgery would be necessary.  The swelling has gone down considerably and I am able to put weight on the knee.  The only pain Im experiencing is when I bend my lower leg while walking.  My question is;
If the swelling is decreasing and the knee is stable enough to hold my weight, is this a sign that this is a relatively minor injury?  The pain that I experience is not that bad and I was under the impression that a serious injury would cause excruciating pain.  The doctor referred to Cruciate Ligaments and "Cartiledge" during the exam, but once again, Im not in severe pain.  Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Recent injury
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 12:31:33 PM »
I was not in extreme pain when I  damaged my articular cart. in a car accident. The knee was  stable too. I still had damage that required surgery. With a direct impact on your knee, it would be best to be  safe and  get the MRI to make sure that there is no  damage that could hurt you in the long run. good luck

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline TimBrp

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 01:32:49 PM »
I recently had an accident aboard my dirtbike that resulted in a 40mph bash to my knee.  It was not direct in respect to the kneecap, more towards the inside of the patella.  However, an MRI(although expen$ive) is the best way to remove all doubt, well almost.  MRI's are not 100% and in some cases the OS and Radiologist do NOT see eye to eye.  One sees something the other doesn't, so forth and so on.  Ask for a copy of the films before they stick you in the tube (they should be free) and get a second or maybe even a third opinion on the results. 
Tim

ariel

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 08:47:40 PM »
Personally, I'd rest it for the moment Mark and make sure you get the MRI scan done. It's better to get it checked out (via the scan), than to resume full activity on a potentially injured knee without knowing the extent of a potential issue.

Good luck.

support