Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Menisci Surgery ?  (Read 651 times)

Offline floorman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Menisci Surgery ?
« on: November 02, 2005, 03:46:32 AM »
I am scheduled for a medial menisci repair on Dec 22. It hasn't really bothered me to much to date, but today it started to become a bother. Some numbness in the calve muscle and toes. I don't think that my surgeon is available before my surgery date. Can I continue with these symtoms for a month and three weeks or should I push for a moveup date if that is even possible? Greg

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: Menisci Surgery ?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 05:50:48 AM »
Greg. a few questions, some folks confuse a repair, where they actually stitch the tear together since there is blood supply to that part of the cartilage , with a meniscectomy or removing the torn part and smoothing the cartilage .
So are you having a repair or trimming done?
Are you able to work yet and do you wear knee pads?

If you are still working it isn't a wonder you are experiencing that problem. Plus if you are wearing knee pads and the tear is where the strap makes contact that could be causing some problems too.  You have a tough job there! I do some painting and when I do baseboards I wear knee pads. My OS told me that it would be better if I was able to lay along side them or sit and avoid deep knee bends from here on and squatting.

If you can do it and can afford it , I would try and get it taken care of sooner. Repairs take a long time to recover from vs. trimming. Did they tell you how long you would be out of work approximately?

Hope this helps you, Ron

« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 06:16:29 AM by Ronxski »
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 10:33:51 AM »
It may be an idea to see your GP / family Dr just to check out whats causing the numbness.  It may be something entirely different to your knee issues.  I never had numbness in my toes or calf, even after 14 years and 7 knee operations :-\

Regarding the repair/trim, the OS probably wont know himself until he is actually inside your knee.  Repairs can only be done in about 15% of cases I believe.

Ive had both meniscus repair and menisectomy(trim).

Good luck,

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline floorman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 01:43:46 PM »
I have a small tear at the horn and the plan is to trim the ragged edges as my doctor puts it. I am going to find someone else if he cannot move it up.

support