Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: arthroscopic ACL reconstruction picture question  (Read 674 times)

Offline LP32

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
arthroscopic ACL reconstruction picture question
« on: November 01, 2005, 10:51:19 PM »
For those of you who have had ACL surgery and have copies of the athroscopic pictures taken . . . . . . . .

Does your ACL look totally severed?  I really want to trust my doctor that the ACL that was left was laxed and that my knee was unstable, but I find it difficult when I don't see any tears.  My MRI showed a complete tear, but I don't see it based on the arthroscopic pictures.  I brought this up to the OS, simply to understand, and was told that what was left was non-functional.  Would an OS take out an ACL that didn't need to be, simply because he/she is in there? 

Anyway, there's nothing that I can do about it now, and I am progressing along well, but I am curious. 

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: arthroscopic ACL reconstruction picture question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 05:41:25 AM »
I think that if your surgeon is professional about their work then they wouldnt do anything that was not neccessary.  There is a certain code of ethics that I imagine they should be working too.   I had the same concern when I went in for my Reco... I'd not had an MRI as they were pretty sure that I'd ruptured my ACL.  My Surgeons words were "Dont worry, if it doesnt need a reco then we wont be doing one, we'll just get out again.  I dont need anymore work then I already have."  Needless to say, when they got in there it was completely ruptured.  I have the video and you can see that is torn.... it is flapping in the saline fluid.  So I had the reco. 

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 10:04:17 AM »
On my arthroscopic pictures, my ACL looked perfect.  Thats what my OS said, and I saw them for myself, I was awake and fully alert!.  When he put the probe gently to the ACL, about 1/4 of it flopped down as it had torn away from the femur.  He had to remove the torn bit to save it from getting caught in the works.
In my case, the MRI didnt mention any ACL issues!
Id had an ACL recon 9 months earlier and hadnt had any injuries between the recon and the scope.  I dont know why it had torn.

So the answer to your question, is Yes, the ACL can be torn even if it looks perfect :o

Best of luck,

Heather ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 10:05:53 AM by heather k from wales »
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline pleasenofatgut

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 12:33:10 PM »
G'day LP32, the acl doesnt repair as well as some other ligaments but scar tissue can replace the torn ligament. This scar tissue is no where as strong as the ligament itself and will not be functional if you intend to participate in rigorous activity. It therfore can look intact with no tear though may look fatty rather than thready. Trust your surgeon based on their reputation. Thats my advice. I'm an operating theatre nurse with 10 years experience and also have had my left knee reconstructed along with being booked in for my right knee reconstruction soon, so believe me I have some experience.
Hope this helps somewhat
Chris. ;)