Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bakers Cyst & inability to normalize my life!  (Read 2044 times)

Offline serendipitysue

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Bakers Cyst & inability to normalize my life!
« on: October 13, 2005, 09:48:32 PM »
 I need help in how to manage life with a Bakers Cyst. I haven't been able to figure out if there is a cause-effect of what I'm doing that inflames my cyst because though over the past 5 months the longevity between swellings has increased (that means less often) and the duration of the swelling has decreased (that means shorter time off my feet) but the swelling is still consistently occurring every few weeks. The doctor had me doing physical therapy and I ran out of sessions so I'm treating myself. The anti-inflamatory doesn't do anything to prevent the swelling.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? I really don't want to have surgery to remove the cyst bec I've been told that it may not resolve the swelling and it can still continue.

I do have a torn meniscus but it isn't in a part of the knee the MRI showed that would create this back side swelling (so says the 2 doctors I've consulted).

I'm at my wits end in trying to self-manage so any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS Draining isn't an option bec it drains on its own after a few days but always reswells some days later after I thought finally that it resolved and absorbed completely.

shadehawk

Re: Bakers Cyst & inability to normalize my life!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 12:20:12 AM »
Hi,

Have you read this article??

http://www.eorthopod.com/eorthopodV2/index.php/fuseaction/topics.detail/ID/8ecc09b02bc8eb9010a76c099e052232/TopicID/e9b6aeba82ce951fa4ffc55b901f2029/area/17

http://www.dynomed.com/encyclopedia/encyclopedia/knee_and_lower_leg/Baker's_Cyst.html

It mentions wearing an elastic bandage might help - do you use either an ace bandage or knee sleeve?  They help get rid of swelling, maybe try one if you haven't....

Good luck,

Shade
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 01:12:57 AM by Shade »

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 11:20:58 AM »
Hi!

I also had a Baker's Cyst on the back of my knee that gave me problems. My OS said that it was caused by the fluid from a torn meniscus. He fixed my meniscus and left the cyst and it has not been a problem since. Perhaps your meniscus is linked to the cyst?

Heather
Lateral Release & Torn Meniscus...August 2005

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 11:48:38 AM »
I, too, have a Baker's cyst which was more problematic at the time of the knee injury (April '05) than it does now. I've had no repairs to my menisci so it seems that if the torn cartilage is bothering me, so is the cyst.

I was told that the reduction in the amount of knee swelling was directly related to the size of the Baker's cyst. Sometimes I twist around to look at the back of my knee & could swear it's considerably larger than at other times. But it's not been anything I've had difficulty dealing with other than to make my whole knee feel stiffer & tighter at times. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline dixiemartin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 05:47:17 PM »
Hi there
I have suffered from a fall that made the left knee so swollen I could not bend my knee and it was very painful. The doctor tried to drain the water but no luck. He gave me a shot that helped the pain for a few hours that was a Monday on Saturday I went to bend down to pick something up and I had a wrap on the bad knee. What happen is something blew up causing so much pain that I thought I would pass out. Went to the hospital where they just put this longer wrap on and sent me home.
My own doctor told me the bakers cyst had blew up causing the pain. The burning was even worse since it ran down my leg and made the calf and anckle and toes swel. Why didn't the hospital see this. Now I have been in bed on pain medication. I have seen a sugeron who was as rude as they come not answering any of my questions nor did he say that is what happen to me, instead he said. Well you might be heading for sugery so take two weeks to decide. "Hello" where is the answer and the condition. I asked why the swelling and got nothing.

I hear bad things about sugery. I want to be able to bend and do yard work and house work and just walk but sometime the knee acts unstable. Should I go to a therapist and have them work with me first. Why it is it is so hard to find someone good and trust?
Dixiemartin

support