Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: without MRI, can you tell what's wrong?  (Read 3318 times)

Offline oaksurf65

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
without MRI, can you tell what's wrong?
« on: October 31, 2005, 06:31:54 AM »
Last Saturday I caught my cleat in the grass and the knee buckled. Don't have insurance so haven't been to the doctors, but the swelling is still there after a week(although it's almost gone). I can put my full weight on the knee and can walk around if I had too. The pain is on the inside part of the knee and doesn't feel good when the leg is completely straigtened out. Is there anyway to know if it's a sprain or a tear without an MRI or doctor examine? If it is a sprain, does anyone know how long it should be before I start walking on the knee?

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
Re: without MRI, can you tell what's wrong?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 06:34:29 AM »
Depending on your symptoms, some doctors will be able to tell straight away what the problem is. However, most will often order an MRI for confirmation and to check that everything else is undamaged.
May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 01:18:12 PM »
There's no way to make a diagnosis without examining the knee.  If it still hurts after a week of rest, ice, and anti-inflammatories, you need to see a doctor - preferably an orthopedist who specializes in knees.  You can talk to the OS about not getting an MRI, and that's possible in some cases.  But no one can diagnose a sprain/tear/etc. without actually examining your knee.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline TimBrp

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 02:06:54 PM »
There are multiple physical tests that can be used to determine sprains/strains.  A lachman would probably be the first done to see if you have an endpoint.  This would diagnose an ACL injury if there were one.  However, to be 100% sure typically an MRI is ordered to confirm the physicians findings. 
Tim

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 04:38:21 PM »
I never did have an MRI before my surgery.  My OS said at best it would just confirm what he already knew by just examining my knee.  My symptoms were serious enough that he decided that arthroscopy was the only real way of really determining what was going on in my knee.  My regular physician did have me try just ice and asprin for a week before sending me to an OS but since that didn't  work for you the only thing to do is see a doctor.  But since you do not have insurance I know that is going to be a problem for you. 

Teresa

Offline pwt13

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Ouch!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 10:13:04 PM »
I had my knee problem diagnosed correctly (torn medial meniscus) without one about 2 weeks ago.  It'll save you big bucks not to get one, but you still need to see a doctor ASAP so you do any more damage to it.  Try the local medical college or free clinic.  They may be willing to look at it for free since you don't have insurance.  Good luck!
10/13/05-R.knee,medial meniscus repair(buckethandle tear)
Feb.04-R.shoulder,Torn labrum,torn rotator cuff,subacromial decompression,clavical resection
Feb.02-L.shoulder,Torn labrum,torn rotator cuff,sub-acromial decompression,clavical resection
Oct.00-L.Shoulder,Torn labrum,torn rotator cuff

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 05:44:53 AM »
My Dr said a similar thing to Teresa's, hence I didnt have an MRI and they correctly diagnosed my torn ACL straight up.  Usually they can get a good idea from the mechanism of your injury, ie. how you fell, and then from a knee examination.  For example, my Sports Dr said that if you hyperextend, then you nearly always damage the ACL.  Please at least go and get it checked out by a Dr.... and one that knows about knees,,.. .then you will know for sure.

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline rubbahnek

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 02:10:40 PM »
Recently I sustained an injury to my right knee.  While sprinting I tripped and landed on the front (interior part) of my right knee.  About an hour after the fall the knee swelled to about the size of a grapefruit.  I went to the doctor the following day and he said I  would need an MRI to determine if the knee is injured to extent that surgery would be necessary.  The swelling has gone down considerably and I am able to put weight on the knee.  The only pain Im experiencing is when I bend my lower leg while walking.  My question is;
If the swelling is decreasing and the knee is stable enough to hold my weight, is this a sign that this is a relatively minor injury?  The pain that I experience is not that bad and I was under the impression that a serious injury would cause excruciating pain.  The doctor referred to Cruciate Ligaments and "Cartiledge" during the exam, but once again, Im not in severe pain.  Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Offline SPK

• Forum Faithful
    • http://www.sharks.com.au
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 11:53:51 PM »
If the swelling is decreasing and the knee is stable enough to hold my weight, is this a sign that this is a relatively minor injury?  The pain that I experience is not that bad and I was under the impression that a serious injury would cause excruciating pain.  The doctor referred to Cruciate Ligaments and "Cartiledge" during the exam, but once again, Im not in severe pain.  Any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunatley, no. The swelling is decreasing which is good but it may still be internally swollen which unfortunately may be keeping your knee stable and hiding any problems.The fact that your knee swelled up so rapidly and to that size doesn't sound good at all.

Pain isn't really a good a good indicator. I was told that snapping your ACL is incredibly painful like having someone thrust a knife into your knee and twist it repeatedly. When I hurt myself I don't think I have ever been in so much pain and I only partially tore mine so I shudder to think of what a full rupture would feel like. The pain only lasted for a few minutes then subsided pretty quickly to a dull ache and I couldn't weight bear for about 36 hours.

There's been cases of people have snapped their ACL or done some other serious damage and have only suffered swelling, not pain.
May 05 - Injury playing Rugby League; Torn Lateral Meniscus, High Grade partial tear to ACL
August 05 - Partial Lateral Meniscectomy
ACL Reconstruction - November 28th 2006

"I don't know how to put this but... I'm kind of a big deal."

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 01:13:42 AM »
Hey there

Im one of those!!!  I had relatively minor pain, although I did roll around on the ground wanting to vomit!  That was largely because of the sickening pop bringing back memories of the ligament snap I'd done in my ankle 3 years earlier (now that hurt!).  On the whole I had no pain and no swelling with my complemently ruptured ACL which meant that it went undiagnosed for some months.  I say no swelling, but in hindsight there was no visible swelling.  I reckon it probably was swollen inside which was at the time making it feel more stable then it really was.... as time went on and swelling would have subsided, my knee became disasterously unstable and I had to seek speicalist care.

Alla 

Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline feggie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 10:32:58 PM »
I discovered that a good orthopedic doc can do a test, and see if your ACL is attached.  I went to an ER  doc, who did an xray(usless for most soft tissue injuries)  and said nothing was wrong.  I went on a cruise the next day, still in agony, I saw the ship's doctor who within 10 seconds correctly diagnosed a torn ACL by touching  my knee.  When I got home a week later, an MRI confirmed his findings.  Good luck!
Feggie
complete acl tear w/ meniscus damage 4/05; acl allograft recon. w/ meniscus repair 11/1/05

support