Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: pain help!!!!!  (Read 888 times)

CNL

pain help!!!!!
« on: October 31, 2005, 03:09:21 AM »
my knee has been swollen for the past two weeks after a really demanding marching compitition the swelling hasnt gone down since then and i know i didnt injure it i just stressed it a bit to much i havent done any more exercises since then unless you count walking around high school as an exercise im also decicding on whether or not i should go ask my doctor for knee surgery for the past couple of days ive been icing my knee but it doesnt seem to help me at all in fact it makes my really weak and shaky right now i am sitting at my computer with my leg propped up and bandaged with an ice pack ive been taking tylynol and advil but that doesnt seem to help if you have any suggestions about how to get rid of the pain id be glad to hear them because ive been kinda bummed out lately :'(

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
Re: pain help!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 05:06:58 AM »
Hi,

What sort of pain is it and exactly where in the knee is it? Does it get worse at night? Do certain activities aggravate it more? Are you combining painkilling and anti-inflammatory drugs to ease the pain? Can you get others if they don't work for you? This could help determine what, if anything you've done to it.
If it swelled up after marching then continuing to walk on it probably isn't going to help. Continue with the RICE and take a week to keep it elevated as much as possible. It can sometimes take more than a couple of days for the swelling to go down properly. If after this time you're still haivng problems, go and see your doctor, but don't just ask for knee surgery 'cos you may not need it.
If it feeld wobbly or shaky then maybe its unstable, but this will be found out for sure during a clinical examination by your doc. If your knee is unstable, then building up muscle strength maybe all that's required.
I hope you don't need surgery. It's no fun when it goes wrong. I do understand how you feel though - I'm nearly 32 now and have had knee problems since I was 14.   :o

Take care and keep us posted.
If ya wanna chat, my details are on my profile.

Regards,

Laura.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 05:09:28 AM by laura79316 »
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

CNL

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 10:02:13 PM »
its a stabbing pain every time i try to move my knee and its right over the tendon it does get worse at night pretty much any activity aggravates it about a year ago my doc said that if my knee gets to much worse i need to consider surgery and that pain was nothing compared to what it has been lately thats why im considering surgery

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 11:30:18 AM »
Continue with RICE as much as possible.  If the pain is over the tendon you may have an overuse injury and that will take time to quiet down.  Like Laura said, give it a week - staying off it as much as possible and assess you knee then.  If it still hurts every time you move it and is still swollen. Go see the doc.

HUGs
Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006