Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL  (Read 844 times)

Offline dingydog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL
« on: October 29, 2005, 04:50:11 PM »
Hi - I'm new to the board so forgive any unintentional etiquette blunders. I'm looking for a non-surgical solution to a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament sustained while skiing four years ago. I am an avid squash player and have tried to play the odd game but have managed to injure myself further (torn cartilage). I live in the UK, have seen the results of surgery on this kind of injury and have not been impressed!

Chris

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: ACL
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 07:57:32 PM »
there's not really another solution except extensive physiotherapy and wearing a brace. You've seen the results of NOT having it done. If you get a good experienced surgeon it doesn't have to cause further rpoblems. Where I work there are 3 people who have had the recon...i'm the 4th. I am 35 and not very sporty really but i have had the recon to avoid future problems. Everyone where i work has had complete success with the reconstruction. I think it's just easier to find problem stories than success stories too. The techniques have advanced considerably over the last few years. I had no crytches and was up walking the morning after. It's not the same for everyone, especially if you have a damaged meniscus too, but i would consider all your options witha long term view.
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline cheapaschips

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 09:11:46 PM »
Can you let us know what exactly it is that you've seen that puts you off?
I've read a lot of threads from people having to come to terms with the op in their own mind, but never because of a badly executed op as i assume you refer to.
I myself hung on for 18 months before i could get my head round invasive surgery, but i did it and now i know i'm on the road to a more stable long term knee.
left leg ACLR (Ham graft) sept 2005 after partial tear during 5 aside.
It's not that bad - really...

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 09:23:17 PM »
Hi,

Have you read this article  - it approaches the ACL from both sides... Life without ACL or the surgery.....

http://www.aclsolutions.com/treatmen.php
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 12:38:30 PM »
Hi there
It is entirely your choice whether you have the surgery or not, and I myself was really worried when my OS recommended an ACL reco.... having had it now though I'm rapt with the outcome.  Im 6 months down the track and off on Monday week to see if he will let me play tennis again (crossed fingers).  I have a tiny scar and have had very little pain with the surgery.  The main reason I had the surgery is because I wanted to play sports again and didnt want to risk a further injury as you refer to.  An ACL reco can seem a little daunting, but seriously, the worst bit is the rehabilitation.  It is long and can be difficult if you lose a lot of muscle.
Alla
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 12:41:03 PM by Alla »
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline shazbrown

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 09:36:40 PM »
Hi there

I'm about 11 years on from an ACL to my right knee.  To be honest it took about 9 months to get back to normal - the only thing I couldn't do was kneel on that knee and it's surprising how often you want to kneel for various things!   I tended to call it "my bad knee" and lacked a bit of confidence with it but now afte having a TKR to my left knee my right knee is "my good knee"!    Still can't kneel.  But can do just about everything else.   

I agree with a previous post - you do get a lot of negativity.  Keep doing the physio and you should be fine.  Good luck!

Sharon
Drain Removal  27/8/05
TKR LK 23/8/05
Arthroscopy LK 05/05
Arthroscopy LK 12/04
Arhtroscopy RK 2000
Arthroscopy and Cyclops Lesion removal RK 2000
ACL RK 2000
Arthroscopy RK 2000

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 09:46:06 PM »
Hi Chris ~ I'm without an ACL which won't be reconstructed because of my age (67). But I really work at doing almost everything I did before the injury primarily to keep my muscles strong to hold the knee in place.

Immediately after the injury & pre-brace, my knee would simply buckle at the most inopportune times & I detested the feeling of bone grating over bone. I've since had a Townsend Premier custom brace made which holds the knee together nicely but for the most part now - 7 months post injury - I try not to rely on the brace.

When I'm doing something that I think might jeopardize the knee I put on the brace. Otherwise I do w/o & even the OS is pleased with the strength in my legs. Years of riding horses has helped.

Life will go on with no ACL but if you're into the kind of sports that require that ligament, like squash, you might want to consider having the reconstruction done.

At my age I don't have to alter my lifestyle too much to accommodate the missing ACL but if I were 20 years younger, I'd be wanting that surgery. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline shazbrown

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 12:08:38 PM »
Hi audice

Don't give up on having an ACL because youre 67!!!!  Age shouldn't be a barrier.   I was told I was too young at 60 to have  TKR as they only lasted 15 years but when I quoted "quality of life was impaired" and "I could be dead by the time I was 75 and if I wasn't I'd worry about it then", my surgeon agreed to carry out the operation.

Get a new forward thinking OS - you could have a good 30 years left!  Good luck.

Sharon
Drain Removal  27/8/05
TKR LK 23/8/05
Arthroscopy LK 05/05
Arthroscopy LK 12/04
Arhtroscopy RK 2000
Arthroscopy and Cyclops Lesion removal RK 2000
ACL RK 2000
Arthroscopy RK 2000

harry78

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 12:37:32 PM »
Hello Chris, I agree with everyone who has recommended for you to consider a reconstruction of the ACL, after all there are many permutations to how you will come out of it. What needs to happen first is to visualise whether having a tight knee is what you desire. However you might think that you can manage without the ACL and how it is - this will point you to strengthening your quads and hamstrings to counteract the anterior tibial translation off the femur.
I had an ACLR and thank god I had a opportunity for it  ;D. Take care, Harry.