Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Is it Chondromalatia or Scar Tissue  (Read 808 times)

Offline JanJan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Is it Chondromalatia or Scar Tissue
« on: October 28, 2005, 11:54:19 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site.  I've been going to PT for about one month now.   About two months ago, I did a new workout routine that involved alot of jumping squats.  Usually I stay away from anything high impact, but I wanted to try something different.  What a mistake.  After the workout, my right knee started swelling and feeling tight.  This feeling lasted for about 6 weeks, no pain - just the feeling of tightness.  I started taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin.  Finally the feeling of tightness went away and I thought I was OK.  However, just about as soon as the tightness went away, I developed a "CLICK" - the click happens every single solitary time I bend my knee.  I started Physical Therapy and have been going for about a month so far.  My PT says I have lots of lower-body alignment problems (flat feet, slightly bow-legged, asymetrical pelvis) all these things contribute to Patella-femoral syndrome.  She thought that with proper exercise and muscel re-training, I could get rid of the click, but the click is not going away.  Now she told me that it is either a case of scartissue under the knee cap or chondromalacia.  I would like an MRI, but she said the doctor will be reluctant to give me one since I'm in no pain.  I'm hoping it is scar tissue, becuase eventually that could go away.........  My biggest fear is that it is chondromalacia - and while I"m in no pain right now, I will eventually develop pain.  I'm also depressed because I will have to change my workout routine - which right now consists of mainly strength training, with lots of lunges and squats.   My PT says Yoga is OK, which I'm willing to try - but I'm also afraid (after reading lots of posts here) that Yoga will also cause further deterioration under the knee cap.  Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?  Anything will be appreciated so much.   Thank you, JanJan

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Is it Chondromalatia or Scar Tissue
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 02:07:50 PM »
Since when are physical therapists licensed doctors?  Your pt, at least in the US, is not authorized to make a diagnosis.  That's not to say you should discount the comment - but take it back to the OS, who is trained to make a diagnosis.

As to activities, etc. - there are lots of low impact activities for fitness.  You can use the elliptical machine, arc trainer, or exercise bike.  All non-impact, high intensity cardio exercise, that also build up quad msucles. 

The general rule of thumb is that noises from the knee that are not accompanied by pain aren't anythign to worry about.  But your OS should keep his hand on your kneecap and move it to hear that click.  He may be able to tell if things are shifting inside the knee as it moves, and what might be causing it.

And if it is chondromalacia, you can't undo it.  So your best bet is to get the diagnosis, and good isntructions on how to prevent further deterioration.  Ignoring it won't make it disappear. 

Good luck.
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
Re: Is it Chondromalatia or Scar Tissue
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 02:22:22 PM »
Only a dr can make a diagnosis so please check with one to know what's wrong. We can only guess...

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation