Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knees from Hell!  (Read 871 times)

Offline Aikironin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knees from Hell!
« on: October 28, 2005, 11:36:20 AM »
Hi all,

I'm new to the site after finding it while roaming around on the Net looking for more info on Knee issues, I hope you can help?

I teach a martial art (Yeah I know,- well what do you expecte then!) and have studied this art for some 20 years now.

I have a couple of questions I'd like to hear your thoughts/ advice on please;

I've never had any problems with my knees, UNTIL I had my right knee partially dislocated ten years ago.
I did all the rehab and worked it hard and got back to nearly as good as before, then about eight months ago I did it again coming off a motorcycle. This time the dislocation seemed to happened a little easier, much to my dismay!
I got the knee back to a pretty stabl;e level, when finally I've just come back from Japan after popping the bugger out again in my first fight, what a bummer! (rotational related)
Each time I've been lucky enough to be able to pull the knee back in line and get the leg staright as I'm falling.

Now it seems I'm going to have a knee that is more liable to pop out for good.  Apart from undertaking a heavy leg strengthening regime and wearing a support when I fight hammer and tongs, what else can I do to improve the stability of my knee?

I have several memebers of my Dojo who have historic knee issues, some not related to the martial arts.

We take cod liver oil 1500mg, Glucosamine Sulphate -3000mg, Omega 3 fish oils 1000mg and all the B vitamins to help the knees repair and reduce symptoms.
Still some have regular imflamation to the knee which restricts kneeling down, etc.
is there anything else we can use that will improve the situations?

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

love and luck
Steve

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Knees from Hell!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 12:11:58 PM »
Steve

If bracing and strengthening etc have not worked you may have to look at surgical options for gaining stability, I would suggest you see a qualified knee surgeon to see what options are available to you, I do know that there are quite a few different surgical procedures that can be done for kneecap stability, have a look down at the patello-femoral sections and look up info on proximal and distal realignments (aka TTTs), but I would say first port of call would be to get a proper diagnosis to get the correct treatment plan.  Good luck.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements