Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patello-femoral trouble won't resolve  (Read 766 times)

Offline johnnyp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patello-femoral trouble won't resolve
« on: October 28, 2005, 08:15:36 AM »
I am new to the board.  I am 38.  My initial goal was to return to bike racing.  Now I just want to be able to walk, stand and sit comfortably. 

Sorry if this sounds like a rant.  I just have to vent.

I just had bilateral arthroscopy with chondroplasty 4 months ago.  The surgery determined that I have I have grade 3/4 lesions on the femurs behind  both kneecaps.  2 months after surgery my therapy was going OK and my PT convinced me to get back out on my road bike.  Things started getting worse after that.  I feel like the chonodroplasty on the left knee totally backfired and left me in much worse condition than I was pre-surgery.  I have been limping severely for almost the last 2 months.  My left knee is far worse and most of the pain is right behind the kneecap.  I can't lift to extend my leg when sitting.  The more steps I take in a day the tighter my kneecap gets.  I can't stand for more than 20 seconds or so.  Any type of light exercise seems to result in a setback.  Even walking in water hurts.  It just feels like there is this viscous layer of glue under my kneecap that won't let it track over what feels like a worsening open sore.

Like many of you, before these problems I was an exercise freak/junky riding 2 hours a day usually in a fast group setting. 

I really want to give up now and demand a patello-femoral replacement but I'm told I'm too young.  All my menisci have had some trimming but the rest of the knees are pretty good.  Any feedback from patello-femoral replacement veterans out there?

Should I try to get an ACI?  I worry that since it's both knees I would have to do 1 and then wait a year or 2 and then do the other. 

Can anyone recommend some stretches and VERY low impact stuff I can try to stimulate the VMO muscles and get this kneecap sliding right again? 

I'm paying now for too much rugby and football in a prior athletic life.  I just thought that by 2005 bionic knees would have been perfected.