Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: pcl recon  (Read 673 times)

Offline smokey15

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
pcl recon
« on: October 28, 2005, 03:54:10 AM »
Hi
I have had a PCL reconstruction with an achilles graft and quite a bit of cartlidge removed, it has been about 6 weeks since surgery and i have just seen a physio for the first time.
Although my doctor is planning to take the brace(which is locked in full axtension) off in 3 weeks time and has had me doing prone passive excercises where i do not use any muscle (my girlfreind bends my knee with my brace unlocked)my physio has me walkiing without my brace end doing several bending excercises.These are extremely painful as i try to bend my knee beyond 30degrees. My physio says i need to get it moving as the scar tissue is building up he also thinks i should not be wearing my brace as much or atleast unlocking it.
I guess what i am asking is is my physio going to fast or my doctor to slow? And do squats put strain on my hamstring which is one thing that i know imustnot do?
thanx Karl

Offline med1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: pcl recon
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 11:54:42 AM »
If you had used a CPM which is a constant passive motion machine along with the ice regimin immediately after surgery you may not have been in this situation.  Might ask about it if you ever have to go back for recon of anything.  But as you are, sometimes a Dr. moves a little more to the caution side of things.  Just work at your own pace and be careful not to force it too soon, you could do more harm than good and probably will.  Use your PT to your advantage but don't let him/her force you into something you aren't ready for.  Everyone is different and no one knows your body like you do.

support