Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: what does this mean?  (Read 780 times)

Offline med1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
what does this mean?
« on: October 28, 2005, 01:26:41 AM »
This was written on an mri report, what does it mean?
Vertical abnormal signal demonstrated within the medial meniscus
And is a sprain necessarily a tear of sorts?

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
Re: what does this mean?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 07:38:10 AM »
Hi,

I think without speaking to your OS or someone who can accurately interpret your scan, you'd be hard pushed to understand what this means. It seems to be very ambiguous - does an "abnormal signal" mean that there's something wrong or is t just an indication of there being something that wasn't expected?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Laura.
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: what does this mean?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 03:00:05 PM »
Ask your OS to explain it to you.  I have found that doctors often don't go into great detail about stuff, I suspect that is because they are so used to the medical mumbo jumbo that  they forget we don't speak the language and even after they explain it often times we still  don't understand it.  Or, I've also found that a doctor will spit out some medical mumbo jumbo and then wait to see if I show any interest in knowing more.  If I don't respond back with a question then they think that I am not interested and leave it at that.  (After all, there's no point in going into a big long explanation if the patient doesn't give a rat's behind about what you're telling them.)  But, if I respond back and ask questions they are usually happy to answer them.  I have also found that the best way of communicating with my doctor is by email or fax.  I fax him my question and then he calls me back at a time that is convient for him with the answer.  Or I email him my question and he responds back when he has time.  With telephone calls you are most likely interrupting something, either he's with a patient or he's in surgery or it's his day off (do doctors get days off?)  or whatever, leading you to not get the answer you are looking for.  If you use the fax method be sure to include your telephone number so he/she can call you back.  ???

Teresa
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 03:32:27 PM by kittent1211 »

support