Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Really need advice if anyone has it. Thanks  (Read 844 times)

Offline Siminous

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Really need advice if anyone has it. Thanks
« on: October 27, 2005, 08:01:37 AM »
Hello, I've been having problems with my right knee for over a year now.  I'm 20 years old and the pain begin last year basically out of nowhere, and slowly grew into what the doctor called like a spike, or something.  Whatever it was, it made me walk with my foot sideways before he gave me some anti arthritic medicine and made it go away.
Soon after it was gone I was running and my calf muscle in that leg tightened up, or started aching.  I didn't think of much it, ran the rest of the some five odd minutes and the pain was back again.  But this time the pain was different.  More aching, and tinges.   It was difficult to keep it in any position for too long before the pain came but.
After a few month I started stretching and it put it into position again, as far as I could tell.
Oh right, this might be important.  Once while in it was in it's usual discomfort I went to work out my upper body, but the standing up and sitting down bent my knee outwards.  It was visibly disfigured, you could see a defined angle at my knee from the front of my leg, and to be quite honest I was relieved.  This was the first evidence that it wasn't in my head.  Which everyone else thinks, by the way.  Unfortunately I went to sleep without showing anyone, I workout very late at night, and it was back to it's normal, non-visual disgruntleness.
After I had healed it through stretching, I over strained it.  Same calf thing, but this time I could feel the spot.  It you look down at your right knee it's the top left, and something inside there strained.  This time, after about eight months of this I go back to the doctor and ask if there's anything that can be done.  He suggest an MRI, and although it's expensive, even with insurance, I go for it and they find nothing.  Everything is perfect with my knee at a structural standpoint.   The doctor compared it to tendacitious and said there was nothing he could do about it.
Well it heals through patience and stretching and then I try to ride a bike, like a jackass, and the pains back again.  This time I was on top of it.  I put Ice on it, which made it much easier to walk and got a knee brace for when I'm at home.  I elevated it and stayed off of it for a while.  And now I've been stretching it, but it doesn't seem to work anymore.  I can always FEEL it.  Whether it's the actual knee, or it's how my foot lands in step.  I can always tell it's not right, and stretching doesn't seem to be working anymore.  I can't run, I can't swim, HELL I can't even stand for more then ten or fifteen minutes before I sit down.  I'm at the end of the line.  I don't know what to do.  I fear I've developed chronic pain at the age of twenty and doctors are useless. 
Does anyone know anything that can help me?  This really sucks.

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: Really need advice if anyone has it. Thanks
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 12:01:10 PM »
Sorry your having knee problems, but Welcome to KNEEgeeks.

If your GP says there is nothing he can do, that may be right, so ask for a referral to an OS that specializes in knees.  Not everything shoes up on an MRI.  An OS will be able to do a good physical examination of your knee and determine better what your problem is.  Before you can have appropriate treatment you need a diagnosis.  You will probably be referred to PT (physio) first, and that is good.  Many problems can be helped with appropriate strengthening of the supporting muscles.

Good luck, and let us know how you're doing.

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Siminous

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Really need advice if anyone has it. Thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 10:49:41 PM »
Actually I don't have a GP.  Somehow I went straight to an OS, I believe.  No one spoke of physio.  What would it encompass?  Is there anything I could do at home to help without overstressing it?
Thanks for the help, by the way.

support