Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Car accident  (Read 994 times)

Offline unsure

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Car accident
« on: October 26, 2005, 11:11:26 PM »
About 3 months ago I was involved in an accident, I went to the ER and after sitting there all day they said I had bruising in my knee and gave me a knee brace to wear for the next couple of days.  The pain didn't go away so I had a friend of mine loan me his high dollar knee brace.  Anyway, I never went back to get my knee checked out because I don't have insurance and didn't have the money to do it on my own.  I just got a settlement offer from the insurance company and didn't like it so now i'm having to try and get a lawyer and they said I need to have my knee looked at again. 

I just don't know what could be wrong with it, if the ER dr. said it was only bruising why is it still hurting me (especially if I walk around a store or stand for more than 30 mins.  and occasionally I get a sharp pain and my knee almost goes out from under me.)

Any suggestions on what it could be would be appreciated or if you need more information just ask.  Thanks for the help.

I'm also from the United States if that matters.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Car accident
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 06:30:55 AM »
Hey !!

Could be lots of different things going on. But also so easy that you have lost musclemass to hold your knee in place when you have taking it easy after the accident and beeing in a brace.
You need to see a orthopedic surgeon once again to confirm that's nothing is wrong with the knee.
Good luck to you !!

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 12:05:34 PM »
I agree with Nettan, you need to see an OS, one who specializes in knees would be best.  There are many things that could be wrong and only an OS can really tell.  As Nettan said you may have to go to PT to learn the right way to strengthen the muscles around the knee.

Good luck.

Hugs

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 12:26:15 PM »
I agree with the other ladies, I was involved in a car accident and my first OS blew off my knee pain. He was  wrong. Do NOT SETTLE YET. DONT SIGN ANYTHING EITHER.  You  need to find a lawyer and see the OS. A lawyer should not charge you anything up front, only after you settle. My knee injury has now cost me over $100,000.00 and believe me, I didnt get that much in the settlement.
good luck and get it checked out.
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Jan_L.

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 03:40:20 AM »
Hello Unsure,

I agree 100 percent with the others DO NOT SIGN OFF!  DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING UNLESS YOUR ATTORNEY SAYS IT IS OK.  20 years ago I was in a car accident in which my knees went though the dash.  At the time my knee were only swollen and bruised.  I have since had around 10 surgeries.  The car accident destroyed all of my cartilage and after a while I was bone on bone and in severe pain.

I have about to have my third TKR (total knee replacement).  The auto insurance company will pick up all of my medical bills for the rest of my life.  Last year I needed a electric bed to elevate my feet while I was in bed and the auto insurance company paid for this, along with walkers, wheelchairs and whatever else I need.  My Rx meds are about eight hundred dollars a months and they pay for that also.  If I had to guess at the cost of my medical bills for just my knees I think it could be well over a quarter of a million dollars.  Keep in mind my knees were only bruised and swollen at the time of the accident.  This insurance company knows these bills can really add up over the years and often they will try to get people to sign off for a small lump sum, huge mistake if you do that.

I live in Michigan, the laws vary from state to state, so seeing an attorney is a very good idea.  I would not give up life-time medical care for any amount of money.

I would be glad to anwer any questions you may have.  Good luck with your knees.

Jan
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 03:46:31 AM by Jan_L. »
1985 - auto accident- both knee went thur the dash.
1985 - 1990 Four scopes left knee
2002 - Fulkerson TTT
2003 - Scope Rt knee
2003 - Right  TKR
2003 - MUA, 2004 - MUA
2005 - Right TKR  revision
2006 TKR - left knee, 2 MUA
2007 2nd TKR  revision - Rt knee

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 12:24:24 PM »
Jan,I am so jealous. I only got the amount  of money that the woman had in insurance and that did not cover my med bills. I asked  about having myknees covered for  life and was   told  that  it  was  not possible.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis