Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Stretched ACL  (Read 6802 times)

Offline Bob NM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Stretched ACL
« on: October 26, 2005, 10:31:26 PM »
About 5 weeks ago, my younger brother sustained an knee injury during a football game.  The initial MRI showed a torn MCL and torn meniscus, however fluid prevented being able to view the ACL.  So another MRI was scheduled for 4 wks later.  At this MRI session it was determined that the ACL was torn and that surgery would be needed.  However the doctor didn't feel comfortable with the MRI's and ordered another set, but to be done by a different place than where they were gotten before.

This passed Tuesday we got the results and the result was not a torn ACL, but a stretched ACL.  So rather than surgery, the doctor ordered about 6 weeks of rehab and at the end of rehab if the ACL had not tightened back up, surgery would be done.  This is great news that no surgery is needed, but I am a little worried.  My brother is a junior in high school with one more year to play.  Of course he is out for this season, but if he was to have surgery now, the doctor said he would be ready for next season.  If he does the therapy and the ACL does not tighten back up, I am worried that my brother won't get to play his senior year.

My question is, has anyone experienced a stretched ACL?  Did you make a full recovery?  I know that this doctor is top notch, he is the team doctor to the US National Soccer team, as well as a Div 1 college, so I know he knows his stuff.  I guess I'm just being paranoid, but I sure could hear some success stories to help me sleep at night.

Thanks

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 96
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Stretched ACL
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 10:28:20 AM »
--
KNEEguru

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 11:22:59 PM »
Hi

Knew someone who had 'stretched' their acl and did not have surgery.  He built up his muscles, but had a party trick of showing you that he could move his lower leg about 1 inch forward from the end of the thigh.  Horrible!  He was told off for skiing without a brace (his job).  However, it should be noted that he never did push things to his limit and so never had a failure.

Clearly it's difficult in competition to avoid pushing things to the limit.  Although it seems obvious that an acl reconstruction may be required, it's a bit more complicated for juniors, who are still growing.  You may wish to discuss the matter in some depth with your consultant and keep digging until you have all the information you need to make a decision.  It could be that the surgeon is thinking of the longer term issues rather than just the football.

Hope you manage to get everything sorted happily!
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

harry78

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 12:39:34 PM »
Hello, This all depends upon the stability of the knee after it has settled down. Yet you mentioned that he had torn his MCL (what grade)? So would it not be beneficial to get the ACL reconstruction done at the same time? On the topic of the stretched ACL, I do not believe it can tighten up if there are too many or other structures that have been damaged or need operating on. In a stable knee there would be no movement laterally or medially or anteriorly or posteriorly and therfore if there is a chance to salvage the stability, then surely the best option would be to have the MCL reconstructed along with the ACL and also have the Medial Meniscus excised or repaired. Many times failure to take drastic action backfires. Hope this helps, Harry

Offline alonseth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 04:28:26 PM »
Hi Bob - I wanted to follow up on your brother. Its been quite a few years but I would be interested in the outcome as i have the exact injury. I have a torn MCL (grade 2), torn meniscus and a very loose stretched ACL. My injury is very recent. Only 2.5 weeks ago. However, i am in my 40's and am concerned more about long term impact of not doing surgery. Would you mind sharing your decisions and how things are now?

support