Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: outer knee pain, bit of a mystery  (Read 1535 times)

Offline geodude

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
outer knee pain, bit of a mystery
« on: October 26, 2005, 09:01:11 PM »
Hello,

I've never hurt my knee before, until about a month ago, but I don't know when or how it happened.  All I know is that, whatever happened, it was a non-contact sort of injury.

I play some Saturday morning soccer.  I also run 5k+ a few times/week.  About a month ago, I felt pain in my right knee on a Monday run.  I figured I'd put some awkward pressure on it on Saturday and that the tightness would subside, which it did after about a 5 days (just in time for the next Saturday match).  This seemed logical to me since I'd never felt any single moment of pain or tension that would lead me to say, "Stop playing/running, you've done something to your knee."

The peculiar thing is, the pain never shows during or after soccer, but is quite apparent while running - to the point of being debilitating - still one month later, and especially when running downhill.

I should also say that I can actually massage "something" just to the right of my right patella where the pain is located, but the pain/stiffness otherwise feels inaccessible (to be further in).  So what is this?  I conjectured either ACL or PCL (going by knee diagrams), but I'd like any other opinions.  Does it sound like a tear/rupture, or just a strain?  Also, is this Dr. worthy (I am, after all, an American w/out health insurance), or should I just stay off it for a couple months?

I appreciate any feedback.

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: outer knee pain, bit of a mystery
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 11:06:58 PM »
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline geodude

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 01:18:57 AM »
I have now! . . .

and it seems right on the money.  Especially the downhill/uphill running, the crowned road I run on, sudden change in type/rigour of running (i.e. weekend warrior soccer), the coming and going of pain (yet no feeling of instability), the lateral femoral epicondyle feeling "bruised," and the softer massageable part next to the patella, to mention a few things.

The only difference seems to be that my pain isn't really "sharp" or "burning," just a stiff immobilization that I couldn't run through.  Nevertheless, I am quite at ease with this, now.

I love you.

Offline AxleSpring

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Hopes raised and dashed in 5 seconds = Hopelash
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 01:21:21 AM »
hey there,
it does sound like it could be itbs.  seeing as the pain is on the outer part of your knee.  As for not having insurance, that puts you in a pinch.   It seems like this has been going on for a while right?  I guess in the end it all depends on the level of pain that you're having.  You could always go to like a med check.  I think they are cheaper and allow walkins, but I think you should call first.
I live in the US too, and understand your situation.  Best of luck!
axle ;)
1 MCL
+
1 ACL
+
1 Meniscus Pad
+
Rugby
+
Really big and Scary Girl
+
A really Loud Pop
=
A lot of really bad days!  :)

Offline geodude

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 01:31:46 AM »
Hey, thanks for the tip, Axle.

The pain as been intermittent [sic?] for about 5 weeks now.  I'd always just run through it thinking it was some freak/minor thing I did playing soccer.  But on Sunday I could no longer run through it, and that's when I started to get a little psyched about it, particularly w/out the insurance.

The CROWNED road I've been running on almost exclusively is about 2.5 miles all downhill, then turn around and go back up.  It's a curvey road, too, so running in the middle (the only level part) is not advised.

Anyway, I feel better about the whole thing now.  Thanks again.

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 03:28:05 AM »
I love you.

:-* you're quite welcome :-*

;D cat  ;D[/color][/b]
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 12:42:33 PM »
It is also possible that it could be a plica problem. Most people have medial plicas but I had lateral plica problems.
Hope you get better soon.
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline geodude

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 05:54:28 PM »
Thanks, I wasn't aware of the plica either.  Although my symptoms and the etiology of it all seem more consistent with ITBS.  The moviewatching specifically hasn't been a problem.

support