Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Has anyone here had Hyalgan injections?  (Read 28142 times)

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Has anyone here had Hyalgan injections?
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2007, 03:12:11 PM »
Ice, Stickshifty!! Ice, ice, ice! Are you in pain, or just swollen? Have fun riding horses, but be cautious!

Lorraine, how exciting that you'll be able to visit your friend in Cali. I hope that you will be allowed to do a little hiking, but be very careful. I agree, a hiking cane might help quite a bit!

I'm doing okay today. Last night I was incredibly stiff, and felt like something was lodged in the knee when I tried to extend it flat on the floor (in a sitting position) like my left leg. It always feels like something is in there and doesn't allow my knee to flex and bed and lie flat like a 'normal' knee/leg should. That is why I still suspect a mound of scar tissue is stuck in the joint, but we'll see what my OS says in 6 weeks...part of my just wants him to go in there, do a scope, and remove any 'debris'. I just want to feel like I can move freely again sans pain, swelling, and that 'stuck' feeling!

Tibigal platea fx. 12/98
Subsequent poor medical care that did not detect fx. immediately
Rigorous PT once fx. was diagnosed
Arthroscopy in 11/99 to trim plica and remove scar tissue
Chronic pain for 5 years, then a reprieve for 3
Return of pain/stiffness 2/07, in pain mgt., awaiting answers

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2007, 05:24:30 PM »
Hi Tiffany,

Hm. Before my operations, I always felt like something was stuck in my joints, although the difference didn't become so clear until after I had the first op and I could feel the difference between the two knees. I'd be pressing for a scope if I were you. It seems like nothing else is working, and there's nothing quite so good as going in and having a look around. I had an operation in a different part of my body years ago, and they thought it was one thing before they went in, but then when they were in there it turned out to be something else. And that was after 6 years of trying to guess what it might be. I know invasive surgery has its risks, but it sounds like its the best option for you at this stage.

Urk. Still feeling sick, but going into work in a minute. Might do quiet exercises with my classes today.

Take care,
Lorraine.
Aug '06 Right knee LR and chondroplasty
Feb '07 Left knee LR and chondroplasty

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2007, 04:34:35 PM »
Hi, there,
How are you feeling today, Lorraine? I really hope your respiratory issues are subsiding...:( Have you been taking good care of yourself? And the knees?
Stickshifty, are you hanging in there?

I had a lovely massage yesterday...I also had two days of virtually no pain--I rarely but occasionally have them...Today the knee feels odd, but always does. It's not aching yet, though, and not OVERLY stiff. Still, I have noticed that since my final injection (including the cortisone), the inside of my knee next to my patella has been a bit more swollen/puffy than usual. It was always a little pocket of swelling for some odd reason--that's not even where my pain truly is--but it seems to have gotten a bit larger recently. Weird.
Well, I see my OS on July 13, so we'll discuss the next step then...In the meantime, I'm also going to the chiropractor my wonderful massage therapist recommended. I'd like to try other things before I resort to another surgery, although I suppose that will be in my future no matter what.
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2007, 06:58:43 PM »
Hi Tiffany,

I'm still pretty sick, but I have a long weekend this weekend, so I'm planning to do lots of resting. I still have a cough, and now lots of coldsores, which bothers me a bit, because I only get them when I'm really stressed and I have more now than I've ever had. I've got some cream that's working really well, but they're still not very nice. I've been taking vitamin B and C every day, and my body is absorbing all of it, which I also find a bit worrying. I guess I'm just really run down and my body is finally reacting after a year of stress. Right now I'm looking at the website of Yosemite National Park and thinking about my trip to California (got the ticket the other day - YAY!) which is cheering me up a lot! I'm trying not to think about how I might be limited because of my knees.

I've been having lots of leg aches this week. I'm dying to do some yoga to stretch it all out, but I haven't been able to breathe through my nose, and today is the first day I'm feeling strong enough for anything, so hopefully my knee issues will subside. Last night I was walking and things seemed to be banging around a bit in my bad knee, and my hamstrings are sore, so the sooner I get back to some gentle yoga the better.

I'm glad you've had some pain free days. Its funny when they happen isn't it? Sometimes I wonder what's wrong on the days when nothing hurts! I've been thinking I should schedule a massage soon too. I think they're great for your body and your mind. Good luck at the OS, let me know how it goes.

Take care, and have a nice weekend.
Lorraine.

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2007, 04:47:12 PM »
Hi, Lozzie,
Are you feeling better? I truly hope so. It is terrible being ill for so many days! Esp. when you have knee issues to contend with on a regular basis, too!
Have you been resting a good deal?

Well, I did have several good days, but yesterday my knee felt quite stiff and achy by the end of the day, and today it's already feeling like that. I think I overdid it with exercise over the weekend...I really need to be careful...It felt good on Sunday, so I exercised in the a.m., then took a walk at night, not feeling much pain. My knee was puffy that night, but didn't really hurt, but yesterday I could tell it was heading in a bad direction.
Today I am noticing the bruise from my injection (and where the hematoma was) is STILL very achy and sore!! That one damned injection really screwed up the whole area.

I'm going to a chiropractor starting next week. I just don't feel quite ready to jump into surgery, unless my OS is very certain that is the only other next course of action...I'm just feeling very frustrated with traditional Western medicine right now, and want to try other things, too...

How is your pain today, Lozzie?
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2007, 03:48:07 PM »
Hi Tiffany,

Sorry for being off the air for a while, I've had some other personal issues to deal with and have been keeping myself to myself. My knee has been fine, except for last night when I was walking with someone who refuses to walk slower for me, so my knee was hurting a lot. She really annoys me when she does that, but going through all this, I've really come to understand who my real friends are, and those who just pretend to be concerned, but when it comes down to it actually hinder my recovery rather than helping me!

Thank goodness, my cold and all the other stuff seems to have gone. I'm still getting pretty tired, but it could be because I've been very sad lately, which always makes me sleep more. I don't have that physical exhaustion feeling I used to have, which is good.

How are you going? Have you been to the chiropractor? I always liked the idea of osteopaths myself. How about food supplements to reduce inflammation? Have you tried any of them? When do you see your OS again?

Anyway, I hope you're ok, and at least its the weekend!

Take care,
Lorraine.

Offline tomdestin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2007, 08:34:58 PM »
Hi,
  I caddy on the LPGA Golf Tour and I thought that I needed a Knee scope.
I am in Rochester NY and went to get my pain meds renewed and the people at Strong Medicine took exrays and told me that I did not need a scope (I had a MRI and it did not show much)
According to my Xray I had 1.3 cenitermeters of clearence in my rt knee and the Dr said that these injections would do the trick (3 injections a week apart)
I had my 1st 2 weeks ago and I could sleep on my knee right away ...so I guess it had immediate results, my 2nd wa Friday, and my 3rd and final will be next Friday.
My Dr said that the reason that there are mixed results with these shots is that many Drs give them when to people are too close to bone on bone. He ONLY gives these shots to people that are good canidates.(This is a teaching hosiptal)
I feel conifident that I will be in good shape. The Dr said these may last 2 to 3  years .
  If  anyone has any other questions please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Good Luck to all

Tom

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2007, 03:24:44 PM »
Hi Tom,

That's really great that you've had some success with the injections and that you'll be able to get by without the scope. I went walking for 2 hours yesterday, which is a lot shorter than I'm used to, but a lot further than I've been able to in the past 6 months and didn't even have a twinge in my knees, thanks to my injections. I think they're great and it would be good if they worked for everyone.

Best of luck,
Lorraine.