Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Has anyone here had Hyalgan injections?  (Read 29305 times)

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Has anyone here had Hyalgan injections?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2007, 09:50:37 PM »
Well back from the doctors, and two down, one to go. Today's injection was really easy going in, but then he did something taking the needle out and it hurt a lot. I couldn't bear the feeling of my jeans on my knee for a few hours, but it seems to have gone now. I'm a bit scared to have a look at it, as I think I might have a nice bruise there. I'm having the next one a week from today, and that'll be it.

Having a bad day today. Met up with a friend for lunch and just burst into tears as soon as she arrived. I'm well over all this, and although the doctor assured me today that I only have/had chondromalacia and don't have osteoarthritis, I'm so tired of the pain, and it feels like it'll never go away. Let's see how this week goes, as the injections should start to work and I should get some relief.

Urk!

Lozzie.
Aug '06 Right knee LR and chondroplasty
Feb '07 Left knee LR and chondroplasty

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2007, 10:18:22 PM »
Oh, Lozzie, I am so sorry you're having a bad day! :( It's SO tough sometimes, isn't it?? I can totally relate...Having the same kind of day myself...I put Zostrix on the knee and now it's burning fairly badly--that stuff is intense!
I just hate constantly feeling either bad pain, or like something is just plain 'wrong' in the knee. Argh!

I hope that you're relaxing now, with your leg up and some ice on the injection site. If you ever feel like e-mailing me at my personal address, please feel free!
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98
Subsequent poor medical care that did not detect fx. immediately
Rigorous PT once fx. was diagnosed
Arthroscopy in 11/99 to trim plica and remove scar tissue
Chronic pain for 5 years, then a reprieve for 3
Return of pain/stiffness 2/07, in pain mgt., awaiting answers

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2007, 02:05:54 AM »
Hiya,

Just thought I'd give you a little update, on day 2 of the 2nd injection. After having incredible skin tenderness yesterday, today I was just pretty stiff, although there were  quite a few moments at work when I couldn't bear to have my soft linen trousers touching my knee. That seems to have gone now, and although I still have a bit of inflammation, things are settling down a bit. I can still see the hole from the needle, and am wondering if it'll be ok to go swimming tomorrow.

How are you feeling aliasgrace?

Lozzie.

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2007, 02:22:47 AM »
Hi, Lozzie, I hope  you're resting and icing now. I went swimming the day after my injection and it was okay. I had some weird-ish pain, so just try not to do anything too strenuous kick-wise in the water if you can help it...It was definitely tender, even in water.
Even a week after my first injection I still have a bruise and tenderness, and not just my "normal" skin tenderness. I had a massage today, so I'm in some more pain tonight--it felt great, but always seems to cause the muscles to "rebell" later on.
Yesterday was a very bad pain day for me, and today I had a lot of stiffness, which made it tiring to walk around...I did the rowing machine this a.m. (keeping my legs stationary) and some recumbent bike. It seems to help to exercise early in the a.m., since the knee becomes worse as the day goes on.
The sad thing I've noticed lately is that I at least had some decent days in the beginning of this new chronic pain phase, about 3 months ago, and now I rarely have decent days...I have days where I just don't dwell on the pain as much or it's more bearable to some extent, but I really do not have pain-free days...

Tomorros is my 2nd injection. I'm a little nervous that my knee is going to be even more sore this time since the first injection site has yet to heal!
I hope you sleep well tonight, Lozzie. Just take it easy in the water tomorrow!
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2007, 02:33:51 AM »
Ok so I'm scheduled for my first shot on May 15th. I'm happy dandy that we're trying something new, but I have a slight problem- I have an AP English exam the day after. The day-after I had my cortisone, I was a wreck; I hurt all over and I just wanted to sleep and cry off the pain. I obviously can't do that. So my question is to y'all: Should I try to get my shot reschedulled? I can't screw this exam up: I would shoot myself if I got a 2 on it because I have worked so hard this year preparing for it. I think it might be smart to do reschedule, but then again it is so hard to get appointments that fit in my OS's non-downtown (non-ghetto) office and around my band/exam schedule. But it's still do-able.

Opinions?
7.22.2004: horseback riding accident :(
5.9.2008: scope + plica removal on left knee.
12.16.2008: de-plica-tize my right knee.
3.14.2011: lateral release + medial plication on left knee.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!!

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2007, 01:10:54 PM »
I agree, everyone has very different reactions to injections...When I had a cortisone shot years ago, it wasn't effective for me, and I had quite a bit of pain for a couple of weeks afterward. But I have also heard great things about cortisone for many people, along with Hyalgan.
I still have pain in my first injection site from the Hyalgan, so I have a feeling my second injection--today--is going to be even more painful.
Take it easy afterward, Stickshifty, use lots of ice and take ibuprofen as needed!
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98

Offline blabramowitz

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2007, 07:21:32 PM »
Stickshifty:  Can you postpone your shot till after the exam?  That's what I recommend.  Good luck on the exam.
-Barbara

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2007, 08:13:49 PM »
Hm, I've never had the cortisone, so I have nothing to compare with, but for me the day of big pain is the actual day of the injection. The second day it is a bit uncomfortable moving around, but doesn't hurt me at all if I'm sitting still. But like the others, I wouldn't chance it if you're feeling worried. Can you ask your doctor what they think?

Aliasgrace, how did number 2 go? I'm still swollen today, and have sinus, so am talking myself out of going to the pool. Or should I just admit that I've got my lazy hat on today? I feel disappointed in myself if I don't go though... How's your pain going? Are you feeling a bit better today?

Take care,
Lozzie.

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2007, 09:39:41 PM »
Hi, Lozzie, my vacation day hasn't been very enjoyable...I have just been in a funk all day, really, although I did push myself to take a walk and do some Pilates...I was in some pain walking, but just tried to think positively. Argh, it's been tough today. Just felt quite depressed! My mom accompanied me to my appt. today--my husband went last time, but was a bit squeamish about the needle!--as she is a nurse and is always interested in such procedures! I also had the PA prescribe me Lidoderm patches, so we'll see how those go. I'm wearing one now--don't feel too much of a difference, but then again I'm also very sore from the injection! It went okay, but I'm very stiff now, and expect to be for a few days. I also told the PA that I still have a lot of tenderness and obvious bruising from the last injection, so he tried to be gentle.

How are you doing now, Lozzie? I'm so sorry about the sinus issues and your swollen injection site! It's no fun, I know...It's FINE to rest! don't feel badly about having your 'lazy hat' on today!
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2007, 09:49:15 PM »
I just made the best lunch in the universe!  ;D

So, I'm feeling a lot better now. I made risotto with some fennel, mushrooms and roasted tomatoes and I opened a bottle of Australian white wine and threw some of that in! I'm Australian, but I live in Colombia. Someone gave me the wine as a get well soon gift, and I hadn't opened it yet, but maybe I'll have a little glass tonight to relax with!

I feel silly resting, because the pool membership is quite expensive, and I worked out for it to be cost effective I need to go twice a week, and this week I'll probably only get there once (if at all) and probably the same next week, and then I'm off on holiday for a week! I know, its only money, but I just feel slack. I think I actually have a bit of a cold coming on, which makes me really want to stay away from the pool. I think I'll do some yoga later to help with this headache, and to give my legs a bit of a stretch. A few weeks ago I was sleeping 10 hours a night or more and waking up exhausted, and my doctor recommended I start exercising again to help increase my energy. He was right, but I'm definitely finding it hard to get my motivation back!

I'm sorry you're still not feeling good. Its hard when you get in those funks isn't it? Can you watch a nice movie, or get your hubby to make you a special dinner tonight? I hope those Lidoderm patches work, and that soon you start to feel the benefit of the needle.

Take care,
Lozzie.

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2007, 07:57:25 PM »
Wow, Lozzie, I want to come to your house for lunch!! That risotto sounds divine!

How are you feeling today? How is the injection site and knee?

Last night I ended up going out with some friends from work, which was fun. We had some food and drinks and I was able to get out of my funk for a bit!
Today has been okay, but I'm VERY sore and somewhat stiffer than usual, which I expected. I did go to the Y for a bit on my lunch break and did some LIGHT biking and used the rowing machine w/out using my legs. I am pretty sore now, but I just wanted to get moving for a bit!

I hope that your cold isn't becoming full-blown now, Lozzie! Take good care of yourself.
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2007, 02:36:11 AM »
Hi AliasGrace,

I managed to fight off whatever that cold-y feeling was. I always do yoga at the smallest sign of a cold, and usually it sends it packing! I did a bit of yoga last night (I'm fairly advanced so I can make up my own sequences) and just did whatever my body told me to do. It was very therapeutic!

I work 12 hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so today was its usual challenge, but the difference was that I was strong enough to walk the 30 minutes home at almost normal speed without noticing a single pain! I think my injections are starting to work! I haven't actually looked at my knee today, but last night there was a nice little bruise around the injection site, but its not sore now, which is a marvellous thing! I had pain earlier today, but this feels lovely!

I'm also in a genuinely good mood for the first time in ages, and saw a good friend for a coffee today, and we just laughed and laughed! The best medicine.

Hope you're feeling ok tonight,
Lozzie.

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2007, 02:40:21 PM »
Hi, Lozzie,
I am so happy to hear you were able to walk comfortably yesterday and do your yoga the other day!! That is very good news. It sounds like the injections are already taking effect for you!! And meeting a good friend for coffee and a good chat is always so life-affirming.

I'm doing okay...Last night wasn't great. I felt like someone had kicked my kneecap, and the injection site was also aching...I wore my Lidoderm patch for several hours, but I honestly don't think they help at all. I'm fairly certain I don't have nerve-related pain, or I feel that the pain would be significantly numbed by the patches and it's just not. It feels more like bone pain to me.

Today I went to the Y early in the a.m.--did some very light biking, the rowing machine, and some weight machines. I was very proud of myself for doing the weight machines, as I tend to be wimpy about lifting in the presence of other people. ;) I used the abductor and adductor machines, which I used years ago when first rehabbing my knee. I think that will help to rebuild my leg muscles. I also did some arm machines b/c I have very thin, rather week arms! ;)
I am suffering a bit now with the knee--it's VERY stiff and a bit sore today--but I can live with it. I have to, right?

I also just heard that a friend  of mine who has had TWELVE surgeries on her foot for nerve issues is now in a cast again and might have to have yet another surgery...Her pain just returned a few months ago when mine did, too, strangely, and she said she has NO clue why. It definitely puts things in perspective to hear about the pain of others.
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2007, 01:27:49 AM »
Hiya Grace (can I call you that? I don't know your name!)

That's a real bummer that your pain isn't being eased by those patches, but it is good that you can identify the type of pain. This should help with diagnosis. When do you see a doctor again? Are you going to continue with the hyalgan?

My knee is going pretty well lately, and I would definitely say the injections are working as I have tons more fluidity, which allows me to do other things and increase my muscle mass too. Its also a big help to my right leg, because it was hurting a lot lately because of the extra strain on it, but now I feel a lot more even when I'm walking. I was getting a bit worried there, and thought that maybe my right was hurting because something had gone wrong, but its feeling a lot better now, so I guess that's what it was.

I haven't been able to do any more yoga or get to the pool because of work things, but hopefully after Monday's injection heals I should be able to get back into it.

I hope you're feeling better soon,
Lorraine.

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2007, 02:12:46 AM »
Lozzie, I am SO happy for you that you're getting more and more relief! Good luck with yoga and aqua-related exercises as soon as your work-related activities ease up a bit!
Yeah, yesterday and today were less painful, but I still have a lot of stiffness (which is nothing new!) and some transient warmth in the knee. Do you feel that way at all from the Hyalgan? I continue to ice, take Advil, apply Biofreeze and occasionally use the Lidoderm patches, but those still don't seem very helpful. I think that they're great for more nerve-related pain, which I really must not have.
I will definitely continue with the final 3 injections. We'll see what happens! I figure if they really provide no relief after the 5th, I'll need to discuss a 'clean-up' arthroscopy procedure to see what's up inside the joint...It would be great if my OS could at least remove the bone spur I know I have, and perhaps whatever scar tissue is stirring up trouble! Granted, I'd love to avoid surgery, but I just don't see how my range of motion/strength--not to mention the pain!--will improve much unless the final Hyalgan shots suddenly help.
I managed to do quite a bit today, but rest in b/w activity. I did my exercises in the a.m., ran errands, did some organizing/cleaning around the new house, visited my parents, etc.. But it definitely helped to come home, stretch my leg, ice the knee, and do some PT exercises...
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98

support