Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Has anyone here had Hyalgan injections?  (Read 29304 times)

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Has anyone here had Hyalgan injections?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 07:43:13 PM »
Thanks for your input, Lozzie! Did you have that 'thick' and stiff sensation for more than a few days? I continue to have it, although it's really no worse than my normal everyday pain and stiffness!
I definitely don't mind actual injection--I found it to be quite bearable, particularly after recently going through a lumbar sympathetic block! I'm much more okay with knee injections than I am with spinal ones. ;)
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98
Subsequent poor medical care that did not detect fx. immediately
Rigorous PT once fx. was diagnosed
Arthroscopy in 11/99 to trim plica and remove scar tissue
Chronic pain for 5 years, then a reprieve for 3
Return of pain/stiffness 2/07, in pain mgt., awaiting answers

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 07:48:57 PM »
Yaah! Spinal injections! I had general rather than have injections in my spine. That scares the willies out of me!  :) Its weird how we can go through so much but how some things just set off the little scared kid in us, isn't it?

And yes, depending on which day I have the injection, the thick feeling can last from one day to quite a few. For example, if I have an injection on a Wednesday and have to continue working (I'm a teacher) for the rest of the week, the thick feeling goes quite quickly. But if I have it on a Friday (like the one I had about a week ago) the feeling can last most of the weekend. The soreness at the needle site goes away pretty quickly, but maybe the thickness depends on how active you are? I'm curious to see how I go on Monday, because I'm having my injection in the morning. Usually I like to have it late afternoon so I can just lie around all night and then go to sleep.

Take care,
Lozzie.
Aug '06 Right knee LR and chondroplasty
Feb '07 Left knee LR and chondroplasty

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 08:17:02 PM »
Oh, I definitely hear you, Lozzie! I was panicked about the spinal block, let me tell you, but I wanted them to be able to rule out RSD/CRPS in my knee...Basically, I don't seem to have nerve-related issues going on..
Interesting about the 'thick' feeling lasting longer when you have the injection on a Friday...I had mine done early Wed. a.m., and stayed away from much activity that day, but did aqua aerobics yesterday and the stat. bike/rowing machien this a.m....I definitely felt like I was pushing through thick liquid in my knee, and my skin is still very tender where the shot was given. I've always been pretty sensitive to shots, though--a flu shot or tetanus shot can cause me pain/tenderness for up to a week, and I always bruise.

I hope that your injections work this time around, Lozzie! Did you feel a great deal of relief the last time you had them done? Do you have arthritis or other issues?
You can see by my signature my pleasant 'laundry list' of issues! ;)
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 10:09:44 PM »
Hi again Alias Grace,

Is that a Margaret Atwood reference? She's one of my favourite authors!

I felt *amazing* after my first lot of injections. Before I had them done I had to really concentrate on walking and will my muscles to sit in the right place to make the joint move properly. I live in a developing country, and the footpaths here are a nightmare, so even walking down the street is a challenge sometimes! About 2 days after my second injection I noticed a definite increase in fluidity in the way my joint moved, which just got better with the third injection. To be honest, I didn't really feel much further improvement after the fourth injection, so I'm kind of glad the doc only prescribed me 3 this time - they're expensive!

I had (have? I don't know) osteoarthritis in both knees and the two lateral releases and chondroplasty (which means taking out damaged cartilage) was to try to help with this. I have extensive scar tissue on my legs just below each kneecap which has been caused by years of falling off my bike, falling over and basically being a bit overenthusiastic with exercise and just general lifestyle. Luckily I seem to be a pretty fast healer, and hopefully this will be the end of it all, although looking on this site makes me not so sure!  :-\

Offline sterns

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 02:38:16 AM »
I had them in both knees at the same time and, for me, they did not do anything except add to the discomfort and the pain I already had. Surviving the 5 weeks was an absolute nightmare and the injections usually are meant to by time, on the average of 26 weeks. Personally, I would not recomend them to anyone, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I would bet on a race horse to win, before believing in these injections. But sadly enough they are part of a normal course to help rehab a knee or two. Depending on the severity of the damage can generally determine the outcome.

But good luck ith yours,

sterns
{RT TKR}  Rotating Platform Knee
{LFT K}  6 arthroscopic procedures (cartilage, tendons, ligaments)
{RT K}   9 arthroscopic procedures (cartilage, tendons, ligaments)
{RT K}   3 1st was arthroscopic, 2nd was TTT, 3rd screw removal
{LFT Shldr}   4 arthroscopic procedures & 1 slice and dice job
Lots o

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2007, 05:01:46 PM »
Yes, Lozzie--I love Margaret Atwood, too. :) My favorite book is actually 'Lady Oracle'!

In terms of the Hyalgan, I'm really willing to try just about anything, aside from any further spinal or beta blocks...My pain management dr. also tried to put me on Neurontin b/c she wanted to rule out nerve pain, but I am not willing to go on it--too afraid of the side effects...
At any rate, even if surgery is in my near future--to remove scar tissue, etc.--I am willing to try other things leading up to a surgery date. I figure I might as well, b/c who knows, the Hyalgan could at least have some effect....
Today my knee feels pretty worn out--did the recumbent bike and rowing machine (w/out moving my legs!) this a.m. at the Y. Now my partner and I are spending the day moving house, so I'm just trying not ot overdo it--no heavy lifting, according to my OS! However, even going up and down stairs with light boxes is tough after a while, so I'm mainly cleaning and putting things away!
I feel that b/c my quads in my bad leg are so weak--and it's obvious just comparing both legs--that has added to my problems...
Do you feel this is true for you, too, Lozzie?
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2007, 09:42:12 PM »
Hi there,

Well, my quads are actually exactly the same size now (doc measured them not long ago), but my problem before was with maltracking, so my inner quad was a lot smaller than the outer, hence the need for the lateral release. Going up and down stairs for me is still a challenge for me, even if I have nothing in my hands, so I hope you've been taking it easy today!

I'm with you on the injections or no question. I would rather try something and think it might help, rather than not try it in case it didn't. At least then you know. And my cartilage was quite badly damaged in both knees.

Have a nice weekend,
Lozzie.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2007, 10:22:07 PM »
I had the injections and they were worthless. The third one was so incredibly painful that I would never have had the 2nd and 3rd injections if I had had that one first. Far worse than cortisone injections for me and cortisone injections are horrible. I have found from reading several websites that less than 50% of people get any relief.

Offline sterns

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2007, 04:51:07 AM »
to add to what jathib posted, a mojor percentage of shots snd the procedure are designed to stay off the problem for up to 26weeks. If you can survive the 5 week torture period you mat by yoself maybe 6 months before the systems return, but at greater level of discomfort. These injection will not make many things simply go away.

sterns
{RT TKR}  Rotating Platform Knee
{LFT K}  6 arthroscopic procedures (cartilage, tendons, ligaments)
{RT K}   9 arthroscopic procedures (cartilage, tendons, ligaments)
{RT K}   3 1st was arthroscopic, 2nd was TTT, 3rd screw removal
{LFT Shldr}   4 arthroscopic procedures & 1 slice and dice job
Lots o

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2007, 01:56:06 PM »
I had my first series of shots 8 months ago and am still fine.

Offline blabramowitz

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2007, 11:46:25 PM »
Hi Fellow Hyalgan injectees!
I had my last Hylagan shot to the left knee last week.  I feel no better, and today got the Kenalog shot to my right knee that my rheumatologist likes to give a week before starting a series of Hyalgan shots. I saw an OS last week who told me it takes 4 to 6 weeks for the shots to work, and that I may get pain relief by then, in which case his advice is first to leave my torn meniscus alone for now, and keep leaving it alone if I feel any better in 6 weeks.  I asked my rheum. today when she thinks I should start to feel better, and I think she told me that the Hyalgan was good for the cartridge, good for the lubrication of the joint, but would not relieve my pain.  (I say I think because that is how it came across.  Since English is not her first language I think some things get a little lost in the translation.)  She also told me that I will need to start another course of shots in each knee in another 6 months!  That was a shocker!  Since I had just seen a brochure in her waiting room about one of the brands that is not made from animal products AND also is a series of 3 rather than 5 shots, I told her that if my insurance will cover it, I would like to get that next time, instead.  But later, I just started wondering, what have I gotten into?  Am I expected to be on a course of semiannual injections from now through the rest of my life because I've been diagnosed with OA of the knees?  And it's not even helping me to FEEL any better? 
-Barbara

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2007, 03:33:01 AM »
I don't know if I was dreaming or if what I felt was real, but I went swimming last Friday for the first time after my second op. I had been working a lot, and doing bits of yoga to help with some very tight muscles before that, but after the swimming my knee joints felt markedly looser. By this, I mean that everything was moving a lot more smoothly than previously, with no occasional jarring pain. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who the injections work for, but I know that I'm going to have to take a lot of care of my knees for the rest of my life, and am trying to make good habits now, like regular swimming and low impact exercise.

Its sad, and more than a little frustrating, but I don't think the injections (or anything else) are a quick fix; they just help some people with the problem.

Take care,
Lozzie.

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2007, 12:37:55 PM »
I am so glad to hear that swimming felt great to you, Lozzie! Any relief during/after exercise is a positive thing for knee pain sufferers...
I feel so irritated about my knee, b/c I know it's not a straightforward case...Knowing I have a bone spur, MIGHT have arthritis, and most definitely have tons of scar tissue in the knee joint is frustrating; I don't feel that there is any one 'solution'. As my OS said, 'Your knee has been through a lot' and that's not very comforting when I know he has seen some pretty damaged knees in his time!

At any rate, I did overdo it this past weekend with my house-moving process...Both of my knees were flaring up a bit  yesterday, mainly from going up and down stairs numerous times, carrying some things I shouldn't have, and not resting enough. However, I did get to enjoy my new hot tub yesterday, which will become a regular part of my 'therapy'! I also have my aqau aerobics class today, which should help.
Had a hard time getting to sleep last night...Even though I am basically positive I do NOT have RSD/CRPS, I still experience sensitivity when my bad knee touches fabric. It's as though the scars from my arthroscopy years ago become inflamed, and then the whole knee just feels very agitated to the touch, even. I wonder if anyone else experiences this due to their OA, or any other issues??
I don't have searing, burning pain like people with actual nerve pain describe, but I have this sensation of irritation that is very odd. It's difficult wearing pants b/c the feel of cloth against my knee just feels strange.
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2007, 02:49:32 PM »
Hi there,

A few years ago I burnt the living daylights out of my hand by pouring a cup of boiling water on it. I nearly lost the use of my index finger and thumb to tendon damage. The scar is quite big but works like the rest of my skin, and gets a suntan and so on. Every now and again, usually if I'm a bit dehydrated, it itches like mad, and I feel like I want to take the skin off. Its hard not to scratch at it so much that I break the skin. My arthroscopy scars do the same thing from time to time and sometimes they just plain hurt. I have tattoos, and the places where the ink is the most concentrated swells a little and itches from time to time.

I had a huge amount of sensitivity after this recent operation, and would wake up if I moved my leg along the sheet while I was asleep. Its gone again now, but I know it'll hurt again tonight after my injection today. Is that the kind of stuff you mean? Could it just be the inflammation making everything all tight and sore? I don't know who the person is you should talk to about that, I'm sorry, but I just wanted you to know that I have weird skin things from time to time too.

Take care,
Lozzie.

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2007, 03:33:24 PM »
Thanks, Lozzie! I hope that you don't have too much skin irritation after this next injection...
I just had to take half a pain pill b/c I'm in a lot of discomfort today...Ugh. Just got back from aqua aerobics and even that hurt. Too much activity over the weekend!!!
Yes, the sensitivity can get quite bad. Not sharp, stinging pains--like how people w/RSD seem to have--but definitely irritation, rather like a raw feeling around the scars, and then over the kneecap. It's like the skin has been exposed to cold and then gotten irritated. I have it all the time lately, though, and have for the past few months since my knee pain/stiffness spontaneously returned. Before that, I hadn't had skin sensitivity in a few years, since my 5-year bout of chronic pain.
I hope that it eventually goes away, but I'm wondering if I have a neuropathy in my knee...
My pain management MD wanted to put me on Neurontin, even though she basically ruled out RSD, but I am just not comfortable taking such a strong med...Esp. since I'm not even positive I'm experiencing nerve-related pain. I do, however, suspect that some of my scar tissue (internal) could be wrapped around some nerves....
I'm going to try some topical cream called Zostrix to see if that helps. I might also talk to my OS this week when I return for my next injection to see if he could give me some lydocaine patches.

I seem to be having more muscle/deep tissue aching and bruising around my injection site than I did a few days ago even, although it's been nearly a week since the first shot. Weird...I just hope that the OS can use a slightly different spot for the next injection, or else I'm going to be in far more pain!!
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98

support