Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Has anyone here had Hyalgan injections?  (Read 29303 times)

Offline Cindy Bailey

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Has anyone here had Hyalgan injections?
« on: October 26, 2005, 03:59:40 PM »
My OS offered me a couple of choices of treatment for OA of the knee. Has anyone had any experience with Hyalgan? It is a series of five weekly injections. Any information would be greatly appreciated.~Cindy ;)

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Has anyone here had Hyalgan injections?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 03:35:02 AM »
I just had my second synvisc injection today. It's too early to tell if it will help me but I've had other people tell me it has worked for them.
 ;D cat  ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline ajschnelk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 03:12:11 PM »
I just had my 1st hyalgan injection... I'll post back in a few weeks with results.

-adam

Offline xxLorrainexx

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 06:55:30 PM »
I too have just been put foward for hyalgen injection but i was told that I need another arthroscopy to check whats happening following an oats procedure that has not given relief. Wasn't told it was a  course of injections and was told they would do it while under anaesthetic. Any information would be greatly appreciated
osteo arthritis both knees
arthroscopy right knee sept 05
oats procedure for osteo chondral lesion right knee June 06
TKR right knee in six months possibly
tkr delayed now another arthroscopy and hyalgan injection in 5 months
injections not done as promised saw gp and he'll do them in July

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 01:00:12 AM »
Last June I had  three orthovisc injections into my right knee.   My knee was pretty messed up.  I had ice pick pains.   The first injection took that pain away. The second helped me get off crutches for a bit and by the third injection I was wearing my first unloader brace.  In Sept 06 the pain came back. The unloaderbrace was a torture device and went back to crutches.  In Dec 06 I had my Right knee replaced.

I went and saw my OS this week and was telling him my left knee was very crunchy and popping sounding.  So I asked him about doing the orthovics injections.  He asked if I had pain that sharp pain.  I said no.  The pain was no where near the pain of bone ice pick pain.  He said he would want to wait six months on it.   Which I am totally fine with.   If there is no sharp pain I can deal with some crunchy. 

I guess my point is . .I would jump at doing the injections in my left knee with out a second thought.

Bone pain is the worse pain you can have. 

I love the way my TKR has turned my life around. I tried every thing before I went down the TKR path.

Offline Sade77

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 01:08:18 AM »
 know I might be in the minority, but what I was told by my OS is that 75% of folks are helped by Hyalgon injections.  Thankfully, I am one of the 75%.  I will get my fifth injection today and it has been almost a miracle for me.  I am pain-free for the first time in a very long time.  I had surgery to remove a great deal of torn miniscus tissue last June and my knee worsened over the months.  I started the shots four weeks ago.  I have an extremely sensitive PA who is associated with my OS's office who is doing this and he is great; numbing my knee first with a spray and then injecting the lidocaine.  He doesn't take the needle out but attaches the hyalgon right on to the needle in my knee, causing less bruising.  It is no worse than cortisone, truly.

75% is great odds.  It's expensive ($3500 for one knee) but my insurance (after a pre-cert) covered all but a $20 co-pay.  Would I do this again?  In a heartbeat.  I'm too young to be in that much pain! 

Sade'

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 04:59:12 PM »
Sade, your post is comforting. I am going for a round of Hyalgan starting May 9th. I've had a cortisone shot in the past, which didn't help a bit, but that was soon after I'd had a tibial plateau fracture, so my knee was very inflamed and sensitive (also, full of scar tissue!).
May I ask what your age is? I am nearly 32, so I am willing to try anything to make my rather old, frail knee feel young again!
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98
Subsequent poor medical care that did not detect fx. immediately
Rigorous PT once fx. was diagnosed
Arthroscopy in 11/99 to trim plica and remove scar tissue
Chronic pain for 5 years, then a reprieve for 3
Return of pain/stiffness 2/07, in pain mgt., awaiting answers

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 05:10:28 PM »
Going for shot number 4 tomorrow.  Good days I notice minimal pain..  Bad weather days I feel the OA.

This is the point where I am going to have to weigh good days vs bad days and how much I can do in life.  I don't mind having a knee replaced .. if it is going to get me pain free for years.  ..  it is just .. i am so so so so so not ready to even think about doing it after I just had my right knee replaced four months ago.

Offline blabramowitz

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 05:46:28 PM »
I had my 3rd Hyalgan injection in the left knee almost 3 weeks ago.  For a couple of days it felt a little better, then it started up again.  Due to holidays and storms, I couldn't see the Dr. (rheumatologist) for the shots for 2 Sundays in a row, so this Sunday will be my 4th.

Results for Hyalgan for knee OA are supposed to be good, with relief lasting at least 6 months.  (Maybe there has been no clinical trial follow-up any later than 6 months.)  After my left knee, my right is going to be done.  I knew I would be getting a series of 5 injections in each knee, but what I didn't know is that my Dr. precedes each series of 5 with a corticosteroid shot (as "premedication") and also that she does one knee at a time, so that the total number of weeks I am getting shots is now 12 instead of 5! 

I can confirm that the anesthetic is local and starts with cleaning the area, then spraying it.  Once I see the needle, I don't watch anymore.   ;D  After the shot I get ice applied for a few minutes, and then I'm on my way. 

My MRI's show that I also have a torn meniscus in my left knee.  I assume that is why my left knee hurts and my right doesn't (usually).  I will be seeing an OS soon (original OS didn't really think there was anything wrong w. my knee from the X-ray, and he wasn't the one who sent me for the MRI).  Maybe to get arthroscopy.  Of course I don't know if there could be anything else that could be causing the pains which seem to wander all around my knee area. 

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 05:00:59 PM »
I begin Hyalgan injections next Wed.. I was supposed to wait two more weeks, but my knee has been really irritable, and I need to get going on figuring out what might work...I continue my PT exercises at home, Pilates exercises, and aqua aerobics, but I am just sick of being in pain even at rest.
I am wondering what to expect post-Hyalgan injection in terms of pain. Will I easily be able to go to work that day? I have my first injection at 7:15 a.m., and plan to go to work straight from the OS's. Is that wise? Should I just plan to take it easy at home that day instead??
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98

Offline blabramowitz

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 07:10:11 PM »
If you've had cortisone shots, this shouldn't hurt any more than that.  But since it's your first time getting the shot, I would advise you to take it very easy the first day of your first shot.  After that, you will know how you react, and can better judge what to do after the next shot.  Mainly, it is important to not stand for long periods or run, jump or jog or do heavy lifting for 24-48 hours after the shot.
-Barbara

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 08:34:39 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Does that mean I would also need to stay away from my aqua aerobics class the next a.m.?
I play to take the entire day off, though!
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98

Offline blabramowitz

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 06:10:40 PM »
I'm sorry if my reply is too late, but it sounds like a question best asked of your doctor, anyway.  I would think that the kind of warm water exercise specially designed for people with arthritis might be better in this situation than an aqua aerobics class.  Or not.  I still think it would be best to not plan to do anything other than the minimum that you have to, for a day or two after your first shot, to see how you react. 
-Barbara

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 03:32:14 PM »
HI, Barbara!
Thanks for the advice! I did take it easy on Wed. after receiving the shot, especially since my knee felt very heavy and stiff. I then did my aqua class yesterday a.m., which was okay. The rest of the day my knee continued to feel stiffer than normal (I don't have full ROM right now, anyway), and today it's the same. I used the recumbent bike this a.m. for a bit to work out the stiffness--it felt tight over the kneecap, rather like after I had arthroscopy years ago. Has anyone experienced this type of stiffness/sense of 'fullness' in the knee post-injection?
It definitely hadn't helped my pain yet...And the site of the injection is still very sore and a bit bruised. But the shot itself didn't faze me, luckily.
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 07:39:56 PM »
Hiya,

Sorry to come in late on this one, but I found that my injections didn't have much effect until after the second one. In every injection, I had stiffness, a kind of heavy "thick" feeling in the joint and my skin has been sore to touch around the injection site. I remember being absolutely terrified before my first one about 8 months ago, but now that I'm having them after my second op, its no worse than any other kind of jab.

My doc has a really nice painting with lots of bright colours above the treatment bed, and I look at that during the whole thing. He tells me jokes too, to keep my mind of it.  :)

Take care,
Lozzie.
Aug '06 Right knee LR and chondroplasty
Feb '07 Left knee LR and chondroplasty