Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Rare case- dislocated knee  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Debkiss10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Rare case- dislocated knee
« on: October 25, 2005, 04:36:16 AM »
I got into a major automobile accident in May 2005, I broke my hip, femur bone,and patella with a foot drop. There were so many injuries that apparently they missed my dislocated pcl. So now everything else is pretty much healed but I have a dislocated knee. I need to get it reduced and then have an external fixature to keep it in place for 4-6 wks. It is swollen and grossly deformed.  This is rare problem my doctors are telling me. I have been to now 3 doctors here in Austin. One operated and tried to reduce it but couldn't because one of my ligaments is tight and contracted, holding it down. Also they are trying to figure out a way to put the external fixature in my leg when I have a rod nail in my femur.
I am only 21, I am supposed to be in college right now but I had to take a break for all these injuries. It's been hard physically and emtionally. I'm asking if anyone could help in anyway. ???

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Rare case- dislocated knee
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 09:20:40 PM »
I don't have any advice for you, never having experienced anything like this.  Just wanted to say hang in there.  It sounds like you were lucky to come away from that accident alive.  And while I know how exhausting recovery can be - physically and emotionally - you don't sound frustrated or angry at your circumstances.  Just eager to find the information you need to advocate for your own care.  Keep up a positive attitude, and keep looking for your answers.  I'm sure someone here can help you.

Good luck-
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline centaur532

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 10:20:55 PM »
I got into a major automobile accident in May 2005, I broke my hip, femur bone,and patella with a foot drop. There were so many injuries that apparently they missed my dislocated pcl. So now everything else is pretty much healed but I have a dislocated knee. I need to get it reduced and then have an external fixature to keep it in place for 4-6 wks. It is swollen and grossly deformed.  This is rare problem my doctors are telling me. I have been to now 3 doctors here in Austin. One operated and tried to reduce it but couldn't because one of my ligaments is tight and contracted, holding it down. Also they are trying to figure out a way to put the external fixature in my leg when I have a rod nail in my femur.
I am only 21, I am supposed to be in college right now but I had to take a break for all these injuries. It's been hard physically and emtionally. I'm asking if anyone could help in anyway. ???

I can't help with doctor recs or anything iike that, but I know what you're going through, as I have basically had my entire life disrupted by my knee issues (and when I say entire, I mean it-I'm also 21 and school, work, and my favourite athletic activities have all gone down the tubes).  I know how hard it is, so I completely sympathize.  If you ever want to talk, I am always online.  I would love to co-vent with you :)  Hope things start getting better for you soon.
Current tally:
7 diagnoses (all wrong!)
8 doctors
4 knee braces
3 rounds of PT
2 cortisone shots
2 MRIs
1 bone scan
1 surgery
countless X-rays
-----------------------
No solution!

Q: What has one leg and says arrrrrrr?
A: Me when you cut my right leg off and give me a peg leg.

Offline pegleg78

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • slow and steady wins the race.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 10:27:33 PM »
I am really sorry for your injury, that is tough to go through. I am not sure how far away you are from Houston, but my OS just moved there and he is wonderful I would definatly recommend him.

Good Luck,
Melanie
99 ACL, med, lat men repair
00 Med menisectomy, lat men repair
01 med, lat meniscus transplant, ACL rev, LR
01 chrondroplasty, manip & debrid
02 med, lat partial menisectomy
03 Arthrotomy,  LOA, LR
05 chrondroplasty, lat men repair, shrink ACL
05  med menisectomy, chrondropla
05 med PKR

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 05:50:25 AM »
Hey,

You have a really positive attitude and that's half the battle with knee problems. Hold you head up and don't give in to it. Even though you've had to defer going to College, at least it's only a temporary break.

I hope all goes well and your knee is fixed soon.
Take care,

Laura.
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation