Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Yaktrax - Anyone Heard of These?  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Yaktrax - Anyone Heard of These?
« on: October 24, 2005, 03:49:11 PM »
I've just bought a pair of Yaktrax, things that you slip onto the bottom of your shoes to enable you to walk safely in snow and ice, as we haven't got any snow here yet I was wondering if anyone has tried these and what they thought of them - do they work?

http://yaktrax.com/

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Yaktrax - Anyone Heard of These?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 04:39:14 PM »
Have them.  Love them.  Could not have made it through last winter without them.

I got a pair a few years ago when I bought my house.  The house is built into a hill, and the street is at the top of the hill, the house halfway down the hill.  I need them just to walk down my sidewalk to my front door, and of course to shovel and salt the sidewalk so that I don't kill myself.  So they came in handy before the knee got itself messed up again.  But having had knee surgery in December, they were more important than ever.  They really do give you a grip on the ice, and they made it possible for me to leave my house on icy days.  I'd put them on, shovel/salt as needed, then head to the car.  Take them off, drive to work, etc.  When I got home I usually put them on to get into the house, in case the ice hadn't melted.  I told my OS that his office should be issuing them to everyone with knee, hip, or ankle problems in the wintertime.  It makes such a difference in your confidence walking on ice.  Well worth every penny!!!
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 04:42:13 PM »
Hi blackbeltgirl,

Thanks, its good to know I haven't wasted my money  ;D  Most of my injuries have been caused in the ice and snow so am really glad I stumbled across these YakTrax, I won't be quite so terrified to go outside if they really do work.

Natalie.
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 04:54:43 PM »
Natalie -

I still wouldn't recommend running or anything, but you shouldn't fall in an icy parking lot either.  As I said, I'd have been terrified to leave my house on icy days this past winter, if it weren't for my yaktrax.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 04:57:51 PM »
Jess,

Lol, no worries there, I CAN'T run  ::) at best I've got a fast limp!!  But as you say, it will be nice to be a bit safer just walking across the car park.

Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 07:23:55 PM »
Thanks SO much for the suggestion. I called a local store & although they don't have my size they'll order & call me when they come in.

For years I've had some gizmos that slide over shoes & have grippers in them but they'd pop off no matter how I adjusted them. From the pictures, the Yaktrax walker looks perfect. I've been dreading the ice this winter for fear it'll finish off my knee...Ellie 
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.