Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Advice needed - outer knee pain  (Read 902 times)

Offline Hugh1980

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Advice needed - outer knee pain
« on: October 24, 2005, 12:22:21 AM »
Hi there,

New to this site and in need of advice. Until June 2004 I used to do a fair amount of running (40kish per week). After one run I had a huge throbbing/stetched pain on the outside of my right knee. I rested for a week and half before doing a 10k race. At the end of this I experienced a huge amount of pain in my knee (i'd stubbornly completed my race) and had trouble moving it. I went to a sports clinic and was told I'd sprained my ligaments and to keep off of it.

I tried to run a few times after this but gave up each time due to the recurring stabbing throb in my knee when I exercised. My knee would also throb intermittedly without exercise. I gave up the thought of running when I went travelling for 6 months, but would now really like to get out there agian. However more than a year later I still suffer from pian on the outside of my knee and cannot run for more than 20 minutes before my knee seriously starts to ache.

Does anyone have any ideas of exercises, magic fixes or supplements I should be taking? Is this a common problem? I'd like to get it sorted, but unfortunately can't really afford a physio - is this something I could see a doctor about?

Sorry this is a long one - would appreciate any advice!

Offline John1

• Forum Faithful
Re: Advice needed - outer knee pain
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 12:50:41 AM »
Hi Hugh,

On the outside you have the IT band and lateral collateral ligament and also the meniscus attached to the ligament. You may want to search for some stretches. You may just have some tight muscles and IT band. If that doesn't work, you may want to see a doctor. Knee problems can be tricky to diagnose.

Good luck,
John
4/12/05 Arthroscopy: plica removal and medial femoral condyle microfracture (2 cm^2)
11/9/05 Arthroscopy: complete removal of plica, removal of scar tissue on fat pad behind patella tendon and on medial side.

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 03:46:39 AM »
You also get lateral pain when the ACL is involved.  Being unaware of this when I hurt my knee I, and the Drs I saw initially, assumed a lateral ligament tear, when it actually turned out to be a completely ruptured ACL.  Was there an incident that you can recall where you injured it...... a pop or a crunch or something?

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline stoplimping

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Wannabe Pirate
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 08:25:01 AM »
I'd certainly recommend seeing a Dr for it. If nothing just to make sure everything is OK.  I have physio and I also use a blow up gym  ball.  Mine is made by  Reebok and there are  fair amounts of knee type exercises contained in the chart that comes with it.  This may help you at least to keep it moving.  I would check with your Dr first either way.

The one I am allowed to do, is their one called the Leg Extension, form the site below, which also does my back at the same time. Laying on my back with my knees bent and my feet resting on the top of the ball. I then move the ball back, forming a straight leg and back to the bent starting position. I do this  slowly 10x.  It is not that easy as you have to move the ball back and forth in a straight line and not a wobble which normally occurs. ;D

http://www.reebokfitness.co.uk/Workout/Gymball.asp