Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: LR/TTT complete success  (Read 2498 times)

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Canis meus id comedit.
LR/TTT complete success
« on: October 23, 2005, 08:50:35 PM »
Well, I'm a little more than 4 months out from my LR/TTT on my left knee, and PT has been done with for about two and a half weeks.

I can't begin to tell you how happy I am that I went through with the surgery.  It was a complete success...now I just have to get through the school year so I can get the other one done next summer.  Believe me...if it weren't a 100% success, I wouldn't go through it with the other one.

Last night was the first concert of the season for the symphony where my husband is the Principal Violist.  Last season, I was ready to cry by the end of every concert because of having to sit still for that long (which is, for obvious reasons, called a "positive theatre sign).  Last night, I got through the concert without even realising that I have a left knee.  Now...the one that hasn't been fixed yet is another story, but I can't even believe the difference in my LK at 4 months post-op.

My OS is a genius, and my PTs were brilliant.  They all say that it's because I did all the hard work and pushed myself to the limits in rehab that I'm this strong this soon, but if my surgeon were a butcher/hack (like more of them than we like to think are), and my PTs hadn't known the LR/TTT rehab protocol like the back of their hands, I wouldn't have gotten to this point.

Bottom line...

Make sure you have an OS who does the surgery you're considering a LOT.  The LR/TTT combo is comparatively rare, so it makes a huge difference. 

Make sure that the PT group you use for rehab is familiar with the surgery -- and the potential difficulties of rehabbing from it. 

Finally, do what they tell you.  Push yourself as far as you can, but don't work in the pain zone.  Discomfort is one thing...pain is a signal from your body that it's past time to stop.

Good luck to all who are pre-op and nervous...or post-op and frustrated.

Peace in the meantime,
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: LR/TTT complete success
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 01:33:19 AM »

Glad to hear that you are doing so well.  Good luck with school this year and good luck with the RK next summer.

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 01:53:29 AM »
Jen,
  Glad to hear that your surgery was such a success!!  And I am sure that equal credit goes to you for being so diligent with your rehab!!  Great job and I know that the surgery on the other knee will be just as successful!  Congrats on all your hard work paying off!

Take care,
Patty

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 11:46:52 PM »
Glad that your doing so well JEnn!! Gives us other TTT'ers a bunch of hope!
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 01:37:30 PM »
Yesterday I did a 5K walk ("Women of Pittsburgh Walk the Talk: Innagural 5K for Racial Harmony"), and my operated knee was fantastic.  The walk was through the trails of one of the local parks...not at ALL level.  There are lots of hills and even some recalcitrant tree roots along the trail.  My left knee didn't give me an ounce of trouble. 

I knew that my LR/TTT was a success before the walk, but that really confirmed it.  My still-to-be-fixed knee complained a LOT, which tells me that (once again) I definitely made the right decision in having the surgery...and that my OS is right (as usual) about the other one needing to be done.

Okay...there's time to throw in a load of laundry before church (I'm down to the knickers with more holes than fabric now).

Peace,
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 02:36:17 AM »

Jen,

Sounds like a wonderful team - great surgeon, great physio, great patient with positive attitude. 

That's a winning combination!!  It is nice to hear that your LK is doing so well, congratulations!!

Go girl go,

Shade

July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT