Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Help with understanding knee problem and possible rehab  (Read 615 times)

Offline danilyn22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help with understanding knee problem and possible rehab
« on: October 23, 2005, 05:17:30 PM »
Hi all,

I am a 50 year old woman who exercises daily (ok not always daily!) that recently started having a pain on the inside of my left knee. It is most prominent while walking up and down stairs and sometimes I have to walk one stair at a time with the right leg taking the brunt of the weight.

I do strenuous yoga once a week and then shift between weight lifting, aerobics and balance ball during the week. During yoga the instructor does alot of heros poises (leg is folded so that the back of the top part of the led touches the calf) Needless to say I don;t do this completely cause it hurts!

I am reluctant to go to the doctor because they are surgery happy. I want to try home rehab and if I can not make it better then go to the doctor.

As I said, the pain is on the inside of my left knee towards the back. I can press and feel the hurt. If I sit for a while my knee gets stiff and it takes a while for me to walk without pain. Going up stairs it tough.

I am thinking it is the Lateral Colateral muscle. Does it sound like it might be that. Does it sound just strained or possibly torn.

What do you think I should do. I am going to not go to Yoga for a couple of weeks and try not to do anything like deep knee bends and take Ibuprophen for the pain and possible swelling (It doesn't look swollen)

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Dani

Offline DeeDee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Help with understanding knee problem and possible rehab
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 05:38:22 PM »
Hi Dani

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your knees.  I think you should go and see your Doctor, I am he wont recommend surgery without checking out others ways to fix your knees, he may just refer you to a physiotherapist, to see if your problem cant be sorted that way.

It's really best to get it checked out, as you could be doing more damage than good by just leaving it.

I Hope this helps and take care.

Hugs Dee x
*Severe Osteoarthritis, Left knee worn out
*I now need a Total Knee Replacement                             
*16/02/04 High Tibial Osteotomy
*14/11/05 Hardware removal plate and 4 screws
*Now suffers from leg length discrepancy of about an inch.
*15/10/08 Bad fall, ACL Tear & Baker's Cyst

support