Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?  (Read 453366 times)

Offline Tanya8

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?
« Reply #675 on: April 07, 2009, 05:27:04 AM »
hello ive been a frequent flyer on this site since my motorcycle accident on oct 30th. 2008......i had an open dislocation and everything was torn and i mean everything!!!drs told me id never walk again and all the what seems to be regular bs some drs feed their patients...anyways back to my story....ive had foot drop since my accident....ive been able to wiggle my toes alittle since mid december but really no better since ive been able to move them..i met with a dr nath and am scheduled have a nerve transfer/nerve transplant/decompression surgery in about a weeks time and was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about what to expect from this procedure or anything that would help me..thks much,jeremy

Hi Deadhead...if you want more information about the surgery and its aftermath, you should ask Dr. Nath to email you a copy of his research report entitled Successful Management of Foot Drop by Nerve Transfers to the Deep Peroneal Nerve /Neurotization of Deep Peroneal Nerve

Good Luck with your surgery next week!

Offline DustysMom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #676 on: April 13, 2009, 09:45:56 PM »
Hello y'all!! I'm new here. I just want everybody to know that there is hope out there for anyone who is suffering from peroneal nerve damage. My son, had a Kawaski mule accident on March 1sth 2008. He was
12 years old. Before anyone judges me....he was not in my care when the accident happened.
Anyway.......he suffered a degloving injury to the back of his knee along with a broken tibia and a severed peroneal nerve. He had a muscle graft done to the back of his knee along with a nerve graft. He had foot drop and the doctors were hopeful that he would make some recovery but it would take time for the graft to take. 9inches it had to grow. Once the bone healed it was time to be fitted with a AFO,
which he wore for about 5 months. He went to physical therapy which they were just awesome. He went in walking with a walker , 5 months later he was walking out on his own. Now here's the part about the nerve damage. The whole time he had to wear that brace to keep his foot from dropping.
Then...all of a sudden he started to flex his foot. Little by little his foot....then his toes....and he decided he didnt need that brace after all!!....Dr. said that was fine because if he continued to wear that brace it was keeping certain muscles from being used in the calf area. Now he can walk & run. Still has a little trouble with his big toe....but hey...considering what the outcome could have been....we are just so grateful. His accident was just a little over a year ago. Keep the faith...and never give up! Recovery does happen!!! :)   

Offline katieswimstar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #677 on: April 17, 2009, 10:00:06 PM »
hi everyone this is my first post i was looking around on the internet and found this
id really like to hear some success stories or encouragement because its hard to keep going
i damged my peroneal nerve in a ski race about 3 monthes ago
i still can't move my toe or foot at all i have total foot drop and my leg and foot are all numb.
the doctors know nothing really and i was just wondering if there is a time frame on this like how long it will be
i've been walking around on crutches
i cant put any weight on my leg without the knee bending
thanks a lot

Offline ruaz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #678 on: April 18, 2009, 03:08:20 AM »
Just a quick update on my recovery.  Since the last time I posted, I have noticed just a few changes.  The area of numbness has decreased.  I used to be numb on the entire front surface and outside of my shin all the way to the top of my foot.  Now, the numbness goes from just above my ankle to my foot.  The area on my foot that is numb has also decreased in size, but it is still substantial.  The other thing that I have noticed is that I have a flicker of dorsiflexion.  I mean a flicker.  It only works for 2 or 3 times and then it stops.  I can still feel the muscle firing though, but I think that it must be very weak.  I just went for physical therapy today for the first time.  They have given me some exercises and they say they may try a nerve stimulator the next time I am in early next week.  I hope it does not hurt too bad.  Anyway, things seem to be moving forward, I just don't know what to think.  Some days I am pretty hopeful, but others I am worried I may never be "normal" again.  There are these shooting and burning pains that go down my leg to my foot (the dragon I guess) that have started recently.  Since they are associated with the return of a little flicker of movement, I don't mind so much.  Just as long as the movement continues to improve.  If anyone has any ideas about what to do to improve on a flicker of movement, please let me know.

Offline DustysMom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #679 on: April 28, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Ruaz, even a little flicker is a great sign. The nerve takes time to heal......Physical therapy will do alot for you. A flicker is a sign that the nerves are sparking, trying to make connections. The nerve stimulator that the PT placed on my son, he said it really didnt hurt...just felt really stange though.
Keep your chin up...time heals alot of things.  :)

Offline mindyst

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #680 on: April 29, 2009, 03:41:09 PM »
Hi,

This is my first post here. I found this board before I had my surgery (last week). It's helpful to read your stories and I'm happy to hear recommendations for braces, etc. I'm still trying to learn all the lingo associated with these types of injuries!

I started having severe pain in my foot and eventual foot drop after several falls. The big fall was when I tackled a large Malamute and landed on my knee in some gravel. I run an animal rescue group for northern breed dogs and this was one of my foster dogs. After that, I started tripping more, especially when going up the deck stairs. Then, I fell a couple more times on ice during the winter and that's when it became clear I had a problem. The nerve pain in my leg and toes was horrid for several weeks and then it went away. Not sure what that means...possibly the nerve dying?

The doctor first thought I had an injury to my back and told me to come home and lay down until I could get an MRI. On my way to my bed I tripped and broke the 5th metarsal in that same foot. Eventually, after the MRI showed no problem with my back, I had two EMG tests, and that's when they discovered the problem was with the peroneal nerve. I finally was sent to the right doctors and had two surgeries in one last Thursday. The ortho surgeon put a screw in my foot and the neurosurgeon did the decompression sugery at my knee. I haven't really talked to the neurosurgeon yet, although I vaguely recall her saying that she definitely found nerve compression and was able to decompress them (I was very groggy). I look forward to meeting with both surgeons next week.

The broken foot is making me nuts. I can't step on it for two months (and wasn't supposed to be stepping on it for the last two months). I'm now flat on my back with my leg elevated for a few weeks. I know people have much worse problems and I'm trying to keep a good attitude but this kind of thing sure brings a person's life to a screeching halt. I won't have to lay in this position for too long but still own't be able to step on my foot for two months. >:( Maybe my next nonprofit effort will be to offer help to people who are going through this kind of thing. Jeesh...I hate having to ask people for help!

So that I don't end this on a negative note, I'm very grateful for my friends and family. I'm 54 years old and am lucky enough to still have my Mom around. She flew here and is taking care of me now. Never thought I would be this old and still yelling "MOM" from the couch. I think I'm very lucky.

Mindy from Michigan
See more about our rescue here:  www.cth.petfinder.com 

Offline DMC192

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #681 on: May 19, 2009, 05:38:43 PM »
Hello all

This is my first time here and was wondering - if others had any imput or thoughts on e-stim
I delveloped my foot drop early Jan 2009 - had microsurgery to remove a disc that was presing on the nerve.  Surgeon said that he was able to remove the disc and did not see any other issues with the nerve.  With the nerve decompressed I began PT 3 weeks after the surgery.  PT for the drop foot was manual manipulation - exercises and e-stim.  I have been going 2 times per week.
So far there has been little recovery and with the e-stim they have not been able to fire the muscle (even thought the electric intensity has been high)
My questions are:
Is this PT approach similar to others ?
Have other had e-stim and what responses should I be looking for ?
Have others uses e-stim and them stopped to let the nerve regenerate and them continued with e-stim or another form of stimulation ?
Are there other approaches that have worked for some?
Do I need to be more patient with the time for recovery - what has been the recovery time for some others?
I appreciate your imput and thank you for letting me ask some of my questions

Offline DMC192

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #682 on: May 19, 2009, 05:56:53 PM »
Hello all

This is my first time here and was wondering - if others had any imput or thoughts on e-stim
I delveloped my foot drop early Jan 2009 - had microsurgery to remove a disc that was presing on the nerve.  Surgeon said that he was able to remove the disc and did not see any other issues with the nerve.  With the nerve decompressed I began PT 3 weeks after the surgery.  PT for the drop foot was manual manipulation - exercises and e-stim.  I have been going 2 times per week.
So far there has been little recovery and with the e-stim they have not been able to fire the muscle (even thought the electric intensity has been high)
My questions are:
Is this PT approach similar to others ?
Have other had e-stim and what responses should I be looking for ?
Have others uses e-stim and them stopped to let the nerve regenerate and them continued with e-stim or another form of stimulation ?
Are there other approaches that have worked for some?
Do I need to be more patient with the time for recovery - what has been the recovery time for some others?
I appreciate your imput and thank you for letting me ask some of my questions

Offline mindyst

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #683 on: May 25, 2009, 08:32:47 PM »
I'm still in recovery mode from my surgery for nerve decompression and also to put a screw into my 5th metatarsil. I see the neurologist this week and then the ortho surgeon in mid-June. Hopefully, the ortho surgeon will tell me the foot has healed enough that I can now walk on it! In the meantime, I'm thinking about what brace I will buy to help with my foot drop. Someone this board recommended the Otto-Bock Walk-On 28U11. Is this something that has to be purchased online or do the local medical supply stores carry it? Also, approximately, how much does it cost?

Thanks for your help!
Mindy in Michigan

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #684 on: May 28, 2009, 09:14:34 PM »
Hello and welcome to our new members!

I haven't had a chance to check the board in a few months.  I'm off to work now, but I'll write more later.

For those of you asking about e-stim, my daughter has been seeing a therapist that uses threshold electric stimulation overnight stickers and surface emg triggered biofeedback.

She's turning six now and can get a tiny bit of movement in the foot, still not complete dorsiflexion.  (Long story, read my old posts).

In the meantime, here is the website that describes some of the therapies we use.  They focus more on brachial plexus injuries, but our therapist is taking a chance on us with my daughter's peroneal nerve.  PM me for more details.

http://www.tascnetwork.net/
Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline Tanya8

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #685 on: May 29, 2009, 06:17:10 AM »
I'm still in recovery mode from my surgery for nerve decompression and also to put a screw into my 5th metatarsil. I see the neurologist this week and then the ortho surgeon in mid-June. Hopefully, the ortho surgeon will tell me the foot has healed enough that I can now walk on it! In the meantime, I'm thinking about what brace I will buy to help with my foot drop. Someone this board recommended the Otto-Bock Walk-On 28U11. Is this something that has to be purchased online or do the local medical supply stores carry it? Also, approximately, how much does it cost?

Thanks for your help!
Mindy in Michigan

Hii Mindy,

I think I was the one who mentioned the Otto Bock Walk-on brace.  Compared to the molded plastic ones, this carbon brace was very comfortable and really did the job.  In my case, my physiotherapist recommended that I get a new brace because the plastic one was painful and affecting my gait too much. My orthopedist wrote a prescription for the brace and my therapist recommended a local prosthetic firm, and they fitted me with the proper size brace. I really don't know if you can by this online, but I'm sure if you ask your orthopedist or therapist, they will refer you to a prosthetic establishment.  You should get the name of a few places, since not all of them carry carbon braces. I don't really know how much this brace costs because my insurance paid for it. When you have a doctors prescription for such a device, medical insurance will usually cover most or all of the expense.  Good luck with your recovery, and I'm sure recovery will come in your case. I also had a decompression surgery, and it has helped a great deal. Fortunately, I don't need to wear a brace any longer, however, the recovery can take quite a long time--- a year or even longer. Hang in there, and the time will pass.

Tanya

Offline ruaz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #686 on: May 31, 2009, 02:16:24 AM »
More on my recovery.  Since the last time I posted I have had some more slight improvements.  The numbness has continued to decrease but I am still mostly numb on the outside of my leg about a hands length from my knee to the top of my foot. However, now I can really pick up my toes against gravity.  This is good, but, I can't pick dorsiflex my entire foot.  Just my toes.  I went to see the neurologist and neurosurgeon last week and the did another EMG/NCV on my left leg.  This time was not as bad because I think I knew what to expect.  The results of the EMG/NCV seemed to indicate that I have a conduction block at the fibular head.  The neurosurgeon said he could decompress the nerve at the fibular head and that this would maximize my recovery.  I guess I am a little scared to have more surgery.  What if I end up with less function than I have now after the surgery?  It probably seems silly, but, I don't really want another scar on my leg either.  The neurosurgeon said the surgery would not last long and that I could pretty much be up and moving around a couple of days after the surgery.  The other thing I worry about is that the surgery will not make a difference.  Then, I will have gone through the nerve decompression for nothing.  Has anyone had this surgery?  I think I saw that Tanya had it.  Anyway, if anyone has any information that would be great.  Hope that everyone continues to hang in there.  Out of all the injuries I have had in my life, this has to be the most frustrating.

Offline Tanya8

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #687 on: June 01, 2009, 06:44:21 AM »
More on my recovery.  Since the last time I posted I have had some more slight improvements.  The numbness has continued to decrease but I am still mostly numb on the outside of my leg about a hands length from my knee to the top of my foot. However, now I can really pick up my toes against gravity.  This is good, but, I can't pick dorsiflex my entire foot.  Just my toes.  I went to see the neurologist and neurosurgeon last week and the did another EMG/NCV on my left leg.  This time was not as bad because I think I knew what to expect.  The results of the EMG/NCV seemed to indicate that I have a conduction block at the fibular head.  The neurosurgeon said he could decompress the nerve at the fibular head and that this would maximize my recovery.  I guess I am a little scared to have more surgery.  What if I end up with less function than I have now after the surgery?  It probably seems silly, but, I don't really want another scar on my leg either.  The neurosurgeon said the surgery would not last long and that I could pretty much be up and moving around a couple of days after the surgery.  The other thing I worry about is that the surgery will not make a difference.  Then, I will have gone through the nerve decompression for nothing.  Has anyone had this surgery?  I think I saw that Tanya had it.  Anyway, if anyone has any information that would be great.  Hope that everyone continues to hang in there.  Out of all the injuries I have had in my life, this has to be the most frustrating.

Hi ruaz---yes, frustrating is the real name of recovery from drop foot, but hang in there. Time is a great healer. Yes, you're right, I did have the decompression surgery, and it has made a world of difference in my case. Really, the surgery is no big deal and is done on an ambulatory basis. I was at the hospital at 7:00 AM, prepped for surgery, having apple juice and snacks by 11:30, and left the hospital before 2:00 PM. I think the surgery itself takes less than 45 min, but I'm not sure. I really felt very little discomfort from the surgery---as a matter of fact, I had less pain after the surgery since the pressure on the nerve was relieved. Of course, this is just my experience, but all and all it was a very positive one. I was given medicine for pain, but I didn't need any at all. I was able to walk on the leg right away, went home and chilled out for a couple of days, only because I thought it was the prudent thing to do. One thing I noticed right away after the surgery was that I could lift my toes off the floor. In the following months I started gaining dorsiflexion and strength to the foot and leg as well. Right now I'm a little over a year out from surgery, am walking without a brace, and am able to drive (this thing would have to affect my right foot.) I still feel that that is more progress to come, and even more dorsiflexion to come, but so far I'm very happy I had the surgery!

As for the scar, I really can't notice this one since it hardly shows at all. As for being afraid it won't work, your neurosurgeon would not be suggesting it if he thought it wouldn't help you. Try to look at this another way...be very very happy that there is a surgery that can help you get rid of drop foot---depending on where the injury occurred along the peroneal nerve, not everyone is lucky enough to be a candidate for this great surgery. Like you, I also had a block at the fibular head. Also, if you have fears that you will lose function because of this surgery to your leg, by all means you should discuss your concerns with your surgeon. I really don't think this surgery will endanger any progress you've made so far and having a frank discussion with your doctor should relieve most of your apprehension. One more thing---there is sort of a time limit on this kind of surgery, and your surgeon may have mentioned that. If you wait too long, it's not really that effective anymore. I had my surgery about 5 1/2 months after my injury and the timing seemed to be good.

Take care an let me know what you decide---if you have any questions, just post, and most of all---feel better. :)

Tanya

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:42:00 AM by Tanya8 »

Offline skimboarder

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #688 on: June 27, 2009, 12:08:30 AM »
hello everyone

this is my first post and I just wanted to thank all the past contributors to this board, your stories are really the only concrete good news I have heard in the past month...

Five weeks ago I was skimboarding on a beach with very soft sand and as I planted my left foot, my foot sunk down in the sand about 5 inches and my knee buckled out, tearing my ACL, LCL, and stretching my peroneal nerve. I had surgery to repair the ligaments and had nerve decompression surgery all in one shot 3 weeks ago today. Unfortunately today I still have a full foot drop with no dorsiflexion and decreased sensation on the right side of the top of my left foot. I have a scheduled EMG in a couple days.

I was wondering about the timetable of my injury, and based upon everyones experience what are the chances of nerve recovery for me? I am only 18 years old, and would love to continue to run and play sports like i did previously, especially ultimate frisbee. Thank you all very much

Offline jove

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #689 on: June 27, 2009, 05:15:29 PM »
Hi and welcome.

Recovery can take quite a long time, up to and sometimes more than a year. Your chance of recovery depends on the severity of the injury, which your surgeon, having seen it and likely having done intra-operative NAPS (nerve action potential??? /some kind of electrical test that is done with the nerve exposed during the surgery) would be best able to tell you. Did they say how long the stretched or damaged section was? If not, ask....You need to ask your surgeon what your chance of recovery is-  anything anyone here tells you is only a guess.

However, if you only required neurolysis (decompression by removing scar tissue), then your chance of recovery should be very good. Again, it will take time, so be a patient patient. If the nerve was torn or stretched badly enough to require a graft, then the chance of recovery is less. However, you did not mention having a graft (you would have extra incisions where the donor nerve was taken from, if you had), so I am guessing your chance of recovery (given TIME) is good.

While you are waiting for recovery, once your incisions are closed and you get the doctor's O.K., you can still be active and stay fit. Swimming, bike riding, weight lifting, martial arts, yoga, ...etc.....there are still lots of sports that you can do to stay fit. Just be aware, if you have lost feeling on your foot and leg, to be sure you are not causing any injury that you can not feel (check daily for blisters, abrasions, cuts, scrapes, etc. that you may not feel, and attend to them right away if you see any).

Good luck.