Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?  (Read 454572 times)

Offline Tanya8

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Any Peroneal Nerve recovery stories?
« Reply #645 on: October 07, 2008, 04:28:15 AM »
Hi There Bermudezfamily...

I'm so sorry to hear that your little one has to deal with such problems at such a young age. I've had dropped foot for almost a year now, and after decompression surgery I am starting to see a lot of improvement. During this span of time I've worn the traditional plastic brace and also the carbon brace, and for me the carbon was far superior, being much lighter and allowing a more natural walking pattern. During my travels on the Internet I came across a children's brace called the KiddieGait by AllardUSA. I don't know if it would be appropriate in your son's case, but perhaps this could be another option for you and for him...

My very best wishes for health and healing to both your son and you...

Tanya 

Offline G_Bronson

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #646 on: October 14, 2008, 07:47:12 AM »
Hello Everyone,
I have been absent in my posts now for far too long, and for that i apoligize. I was cleared to go back to work in february still having zero contractions in my tib ant or peroneous muscles. my knee is feeling pretty good depite the nerve damage. It is very stable and strong.
I had an emg done in august and the doctors were blown away. I kne something was going to show up due to the fact that i could see some slight movement in my toes. It was the first of 5 emg that showed signs of life. The doctor said i should see someting substantial happen in the next 6 months but didnt want to give me false hope. But from what he was seeing on the screen he couldnt see how i wouldnt. i still cannot dorsiflex or fully evert but i can notice the contractions getting stronger.
I have gotten my life pretty much fully back to normal except for the althetic things i used to do, hockey, jogging etc. but other than that i an doing everything. I wear my foot up pretty much everywhere( just got back from a fishing trip with my friends in the Rockies in BC). I wear a plastic afo while wearing my workboots at work. I still curse every morning when i put the darn thing on. but i am confident i will not need it forever.
I truely believe this experience has helped me see life in a better way. When i dislocated my knee i was pretty much in the prime of my life. had a great job, i was about to be promoted, in the best shape of my life, doing evreything a 26 year old man would want. then everything i worked hard for was gone, i was told i may never walk again and the only place i found any postive news was on this post and from my physio therapist. You people were the only ones who could really understand how this affects a person, my feinds , family , doctors didnt thats for sure. Then again i dont think i would because the sensaton is so difficult to decribe.
I was in recovery for 13 months before i returned to work and for someone in my line of work it is an awful long time. i was petrified to return, i did not think i could ever get back to being as productive as i was before the accident. I have gotten promoted since returning and am doing the exaclty what i was trying to do before i injured my leg. I work in the Alberta Oilsands as a senoir project coordinator so i am not out on the tools and alot of my days are spent in meetings and behind a desk. But i do alot of walking with a heavy workboot which i know has helped my leg to some degree. Getting back to work has helped me mentally more than anything else which as you all know is the most important part of dealing with injuries such as these. the fact that i am so busy keeps my mind off this terrible affliction called foot drop we are all battling. I still do my ems everynigth but i work such long hours that most nights i do not have time to do much else when i work. i work a 14 or 20 day shift then fly home to newfoundland and see my PT who tells me he is seeing improvements everytime i see him , even if i cant. They are so slow i guess that you have to look back a month to really notice them.
I am getting sensations in my leg such as cold water being poured on it, shocks, tingles and other things i cannot really put into words. I hear that these are signs of regeneration but who knows.
I truely from the bottom of my heart wish you the best of luck in your recoveries and will try to check in when i can.

Gordon

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #647 on: October 28, 2008, 03:19:34 AM »
Hello Jamie and welcome to the thread!

I am so sorry that you have to go through this with your son. 

I too am a parent of a child with peroneal nerve issues.

Read through some of my previous posts and you'll see my daughter's issues.  She is five now.

You can PM if you'd like.  We have tried many treatments.
Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #648 on: October 30, 2008, 05:34:26 PM »

I am getting sensations in my leg such as cold water being poured on it, shocks, tingles and other things i cannot really put into words. I hear that these are signs of regeneration but who knows.
I truely from the bottom of my heart wish you the best of luck in your recoveries and will try to check in when i can.

Gordon

Hi Gordon!  Thanks for keeping in touch and for your inspiring and encouraging words.

My daughter crawled into our bed three nights ago with the "dragon" pain.  She has had these pains for now a consistent two years, at least one "dragon attack" every few weeks it seems, a good sign we pray.

Do you feel these pains mostly in your tib ant, upper shin area too?

Oh, and as for your muscle contractions.  I swear I too see my daughter's muscles contracting more.

Good luck.  God bless.  Keep posting :)
Mother of a now six year old daughter with unexplained peroneal neuropathy/injury to the peroneal nerve resulting in footdrop.  Had surgery 7-06 including neurolysis to remove scar tissue/neuroma.  Wears AFO wtih dorsiflextion assist and is using EMG triggered biofeedback and TES awaiting recovery.

Offline AmandaC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #649 on: November 12, 2008, 05:17:26 AM »
Hi to everyone.
Well I dont have anything new to report regarding my foot drop but I do have another little girl.  Her name is Regan Elisabeth and she was born on 3 September - elective C-Section.  she was born at 38 weeks and was 5.14 pound (2.6kg) jus a little dot. She is a very good baby and is doing wonderfully.  I have just read through the latest posts and am so happy everyone is keeping the forum going.  I will post again soon.
Amanda

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #650 on: November 12, 2008, 10:09:24 PM »
Hi to everyone.
Well I dont have anything new to report regarding my foot drop but I do have another little girl.  Her name is Regan Elisabeth and she was born on 3 September - elective C-Section.  she was born at 38 weeks and was 5.14 pound (2.6kg) jus a little dot. She is a very good baby and is doing wonderfully.  I have just read through the latest posts and am so happy everyone is keeping the forum going.  I will post again soon.
Amanda

Congratulations Amanda!

God bless you and your family!

I'm glad we keep posting and "checkign in" too. 

My daughter is still doing all of her neuromusular therap, namely the

EMG triggered biofeedback

threshold electrical stimulation (electrodes worn overnight)

My husband and I swear that she may be getting a teensy bit of movement on the foot and you CAN see the antierior tib muscles contracting.  Here's hoping we can still get more improvement.

How are all the rest of you doing? 

Offline god will help

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #651 on: November 18, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
hey every one......
am 17 years old and i had a nkee injury (right)on 06.03.2008 during a footeball game with severe pain.i was not able to stand and to move.later i treated in the hospital using a whole leg bandage(?)which was to tight.5 DAYS LATER THE BANDAGE WAZ REMOVED by myself becauseof the severe pain that results drom the banage.later i had treated by gibs bandage,and i had a peripheral peroneal paresis(right).i had treated by electrotherapy in the hospital(threshold carrent treatment according to me(?)).on 42.07.2008 exploration and neurolysis of the nerve were done in hospital.....
my (q) is!!!how much did my nerve recoverd till now!!!!! ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
thank you....

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • " I Can Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    • myspace.com
« Reply #652 on: December 10, 2008, 05:12:42 AM »
Hey everyone,

Hopefully everyone is doing well and that people are still recovering and sharing there stories with each other. i wish everyone well and apologize for my absence. RL has been busy and i have been in rehab constantly since i have returned to sport. for the past two years since i have returned from injury....my leg seems to be functioning properly be unable to take on the same demands it once did...leading to alot of muscle imbalances and compensation issues leading to other injuries that limit my play and effect my daily physical actives.

i wanted to ask a question to those who have returned to regular activity since there injury....have you noticed any changes in your body mechanics...the way you do things....like walking,lifting .....running ....distributing weight from one side of the body to another, jumping and landing...etc.

hope to hear from you soon,
Andre durie
[email protected]

Dislocated knee in a Football game
Damage: Posterolateral Compartment,MCL Partial,IT band Tear,Popliteus tear,Hamstring and Peroneal Nerve Damage (Foot Drop)

Reapired in Surgery: Posterolateral Compartment Sept 17th/05
Scope Nov 20th/05, ACL Recon Sept 26th/06

Offline dunez

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #653 on: December 10, 2008, 12:35:18 PM »
Hi all,
Thank goodness I found this site, I have read through most pages and just through reading your experiences I feel better. I had an accident in Vietnam at the end of October. I collapsed on myelf for a long time...I am guessing about 8 hours. I have damaged the nerve and muscle in my left forearm and the nerves in my leg from the knee downwards. I little movement of my fingers but it is improving through p.t, my whole hand is numb except just under my thumb on the back of my hand. I have foot drop and part of my leg and foot is numb and part of my foot has strange sensation, often burning and intense pain. I also have daily pain 'attacks' where I get sharp electric shock type shooting pains which go right through to my left shoulder. I was treated with a fasciectomy (I think that's right) on both my leg and arm. My leg has since been closed through stitching and I have a skin graft on my arm which was put on 5 days ago. I flew back to England 3 weeks after the accident, the doctors in Vietnam told me in broken English that my arm was more seriously injured than my leg, there was evidence of necrosis on the muscle and I went in to OT 3 times to clean the wound. They didnt close it before I cam home. My leg was closed and very little information was given except 'it will be ok'. No testing of nerve function etc. Since I have returned to England the doctors conducted an MRI on my arm and advised me that there nerves weren't severed and will regrow. They gave me a final debridement and grafted me. Regarding my leg, the consultant gave it an examination through touch and asking me questions: 'Can you feel this?' etc. The general consensus was that my leg is fine at this stage and P.T is required to regain function. I am worried, I can put very little weight on my ankle. I can just about point my tows down but no upward movement whatsoever. It doesn't seem fine to me and having read your posts I feel the doctors should be conducting tests to assess nerve function and put us all in the picture of whats going on in my leg. Or am I over worrying and through a physical examination they can tell whats going on and it really is 'fine'? I am hitting the physio as hard as I can and I am noticing improvements - I couldn't even get out of bed 2 weeks ago and now I can walk with my ACO and crutch for a while. The pain is a major burden, although it has too improved, before it was all day and all night in my leg - now I can feel a constant ache and slight tingling but the pain doesn't kick in until just before I go to bed (I don't know how it knows!) I am Gabapentin, anatryptalin, tremadol and morphine. I would love to hear from anyone who can offer me advice or tips. I thank you all in advance and wish you all a speedy recovery! PS I am a 26 y/o male if it makes any difference!
dunez

Offline mom444

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #654 on: December 10, 2008, 02:33:13 PM »
WELCOME TO GOD WILL HELP AND DUNEZ!

Please keep posting and checking in with us.  We are all here to lend support and help and prayers.

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
    • myspace.com
« Reply #655 on: December 10, 2008, 02:38:32 PM »
Hi all,
Thank goodness I found this site, I have read through most pages and just through reading your experiences I feel better. I had an accident in Vietnam at the end of October. I collapsed on myelf for a long time...I am guessing about 8 hours. I have damaged the nerve and muscle in my left forearm and the nerves in my leg from the knee downwards. I little movement of my fingers but it is improving through p.t, my whole hand is numb except just under my thumb on the back of my hand. I have foot drop and part of my leg and foot is numb and part of my foot has strange sensation, often burning and intense pain. I also have daily pain 'attacks' where I get sharp electric shock type shooting pains which go right through to my left shoulder. I was treated with a fasciectomy (I think that's right) on both my leg and arm. My leg has since been closed through stitching and I have a skin graft on my arm which was put on 5 days ago. I flew back to England 3 weeks after the accident, the doctors in Vietnam told me in broken English that my arm was more seriously injured than my leg, there was evidence of necrosis on the muscle and I went in to OT 3 times to clean the wound. They didnt close it before I cam home. My leg was closed and very little information was given except 'it will be ok'. No testing of nerve function etc. Since I have returned to England the doctors conducted an MRI on my arm and advised me that there nerves weren't severed and will regrow. They gave me a final debridement and grafted me. Regarding my leg, the consultant gave it an examination through touch and asking me questions: 'Can you feel this?' etc. The general consensus was that my leg is fine at this stage and P.T is required to regain function. I am worried, I can put very little weight on my ankle. I can just about point my tows down but no upward movement whatsoever. It doesn't seem fine to me and having read your posts I feel the doctors should be conducting tests to assess nerve function and put us all in the picture of whats going on in my leg. Or am I over worrying and through a physical examination they can tell whats going on and it really is 'fine'? I am hitting the physio as hard as I can and I am noticing improvements - I couldn't even get out of bed 2 weeks ago and now I can walk with my ACO and crutch for a while. The pain is a major burden, although it has too improved, before it was all day and all night in my leg - now I can feel a constant ache and slight tingling but the pain doesn't kick in until just before I go to bed (I don't know how it knows!) I am Gabapentin, anatryptalin, tremadol and morphine. I would love to hear from anyone who can offer me advice or tips. I thank you all in advance and wish you all a speedy recovery! PS I am a 26 y/o male if it makes any difference!
dunez

hey Dunez,

Thanks for posting and i wish you the best in your recovery.....without the people on this thread i dont know where i would be in my recovery today....but with regards to your leg and not being satisfied with the information that the doctors are giving you with a physical assessment is an issue most of us have faced. if your truly satisfied with what the diagnosis is then there would be no need to get the tests done....but just to be safe and to have information of what is going on neurologically in your leg couldnt hurt you. hope you recovery strong and healthy and look forward to hearing from you....Also....from what i have heard age should give u an advantage....but everyone is different...try and stay as mentally strong as you can and we are here to help if you need someone to vent,relate and learn through experiences.

Damage: Posterolateral Compartment,MCL Partial,IT band Tear,Popliteus tear,Hamstring and Peroneal Nerve Damage (Foot Drop)

Offline amdre

• Regular Poster
    • myspace.com
« Reply #656 on: December 10, 2008, 03:16:23 PM »
Hi to everyone.
Amanda

Congrats on the Newbie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aday after my sons bday...lol

Offline dunez

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #657 on: December 10, 2008, 05:23:17 PM »
Thanks guys, I just returned from the hospital to change the dressing on my skin graft which is getting aired as i write...feels allot better than it looks mind but I am told that's normal. I also pressed for the nerve analysis examinations and have a consultant appointment next thursday who can refer me. All in all a good day - and I can finally take a shower! Thanks again team.

Offline dunez

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #658 on: December 30, 2008, 01:25:40 PM »
dear everyone, happy Christmas et al I hope you all are having a lovely time. How are your recoveries going?   I seem to be slowly improving on the physio side but no regeneration whatsoever. I cannot dorisflex my foot 1mm! I still don't know exactly where or to what extent the nerve is damaged but I think it is all in the knee which is a point of my body which was being compressed when I was out cold, because my other knee was on top of it. The nerve pain basically runs alng a line up to my bottom and down to my foot, from the knee. I am sure I have compressed the nerve, from what I've read decompression surgery is quick and straight forward butmy doctors haven't even mentioned it. Does anyone have experience of this? Also do you wear your ankle supports all day and all night? Any tips for walking without it on? I am trying to walk as much as I can as my leg is getting very skinny but it's so cold out that I last about ten minutes. (My hand injury is extremely sensitive to the cold). Anyways, please keep in touch as I really need all of
your support through this difficult and incredibly fustrating period. Happy new year everyone.
dunez

Offline Tanya8

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #659 on: January 01, 2009, 06:14:15 AM »
dear everyone, happy Christmas et al I hope you all are having a lovely time. How are your recoveries going?   I seem to be slowly improving on the physio side but no regeneration whatsoever. I cannot dorisflex my foot 1mm! I still don't know exactly where or to what extent the nerve is damaged but I think it is all in the knee which is a point of my body which was being compressed when I was out cold, because my other knee was on top of it. The nerve pain basically runs alng a line up to my bottom and down to my foot, from the knee. I am sure I have compressed the nerve, from what I've read decompression surgery is quick and straight forward butmy doctors haven't even mentioned it. Does anyone have experience of this? Also do you wear your ankle supports all day and all night? Any tips for walking without it on? I am trying to walk as much as I can as my leg is getting very skinny but it's so cold out that I last about ten minutes. (My hand injury is extremely sensitive to the cold). Anyways, please keep in touch as I really need all of
your support through this difficult and incredibly fustrating period. Happy new year everyone.
dunez

Hi dunez,

I've been dealing with drop foot a little for more than a year due to a broken leg, and have progressed from no movement at all in dorsiflexion ...moving my foot upward...to being able to lift it more than halfway up at this point. Like you, I also experienced the pain from the knee around the ankle to the foot. In the beginning I wore an AFO when walking, and couldn't walk without it, and also wore a brace at night in order to keep the foot at 90 degrees. After my doctors waited a few months to see if I would regain function on my own, I underwent decompression surgery and it was really no big deal...in and out of the hospital the same day. Slowly, function has returned, and although I see tremendous improvement, I am not all the way healed yet...but I'm really happy to be where I am today. I no longer wear the heavy duty AFO, but instead wear a small elastic brace around my ankle, which attaches to my shoelaces...this is a big improvement, since I found the AFO most uncomfortable.  Right now I'm noticing that I can walk without this elastic brace for a couple of days at a time without tripping, so there is continued progress...when I'm really tired, though, I put the brace back on again. The only thing that has remained more or less unchanged is the feeling that someone is squeezing my leg at times, but I don't take any medications for this.  It's become like background noise that's always there, but which I can ignore most of the time. I hope this information has been helpful to you, and if you have any further questions just post again....by the way, I still wear a night brace to keep my foot in the proper position, but it's just something that I do that I don't pay attention to anymore.  My best wishes for your speedy and full recovery!

Tanya   

support